Sundara odd question...
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MarkSubsonik

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I recently bought a brand new set of Sundara's. Since I received them, I've had a slight imbalance with the left side being a tad quieter, almost muffled. It's slight, but it's noticeable. I've been in touch with April and Ting @ Hifiman and they've pointed out some things that I could try to pinpoint the issue including swapping cables, left into right and vice versa and even different sources etc. It's been about 3 or so days since I spoke to them and then today, while about to put the cans up for the day i noticed something. The sun was shining just right into the inner right cup and revealed the driver. This was new to me as I've never seen it before and immediately turned them to look at the left side and noticed I couldn't see the driver on this side at all. I manipulated the ear cups every possible way I could but still, I couldn't see the driver like I had the right side (it was clear as day) and then I actually felt the material. The left ear cup has a noticeably thicker felt covering the driver on the left side vs. the right. I can't tell if it's just one piece or more than one layer but it's definitely thicker. Way thicker. The right side is like tissue paper-thin and you can very easily see through it. So I think I found the issue. Problem is, I've not the slightest clue how to disassemble anything to get a closer look, nor do I want to try and possibly break something.

My question(s) to y'all are, Is this normal? If any of you own Sundara's, are your ear cups set up this way also? Is there a reason one side of a headphone would require a thicker felt over the driver vs. the other?

I really don't want to have to send it to Hifiman just for this especially if this is a normal thing.

Thanks in advance for any help, y'all!

Mark

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 17
Doesn't seem normal. The assembly should be symmetrical and the foam / insert thickness should be the same if the drivers were properly matched.

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 17
Doesn't seem normal. The assembly should be symmetrical and the foam / insert thickness should be the same if the drivers were properly matched.

That's pretty much what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure. It does seem strange to have different sizes foam.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 17
Does anybody know if the earpads actually come off without tearing things up? I think Hifiman will want me to send them in and really really don't want to go that route right now.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 17
I have nothing to offer here but I think it's pretty cool that you were able to hear the difference. Surely somebody here will have a pair and can answer you but if sending them back is an option consider yourself lucky. Most people in the world have a much harder time doing that.

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 17
I have nothing to offer here but I think it's pretty cool that you were able to hear the difference. Surely somebody here will have a pair and can answer you but if sending them back is an option consider yourself lucky. Most people in the world have a much harder time doing that.

When you put it like that... Haha, seriously though, my main concern is actually the awful state of our postal system right now what with our "President" actively attacking and withholding much needed funds to said institution to the point it's taking roughly 3 weeks to get a letter from point A to point B. Besides that, there's a good chance my cans might also get lost in transit right now so there's that. I'd obviously like to try and avoid that if at all possible. That said, I'm very grateful that Hifiman are based here and always willing to help if anything goes awry.

As far as being able to hear the difference; I've been producing and engineering music for going on 20 years and lots of times I'll use my own music to reveal certain behavior from gear or headphones as I'm very familiar with it. It's a curse sometimes, hah!

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 17
The earpads come off easily enough... there's 4 tabs. You just press toward the center and they pop off. Getting them back on is a bit tougher, but not that bad.

That's what I was afraid of, hah! My T60RP's are so easy to pad swap and I think I've gotten spoiled from that. Is there anything I should be watching out for, i.e. bending or snapping the plastic mounts / breaking anything in the process? Thanks so much for the info!

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #9 of 17
That's what I was afraid of, hah! My T60RP's are so easy to pad swap and I think I've gotten spoiled from that. Is there anything I should be watching out for, i.e. bending or snapping the plastic mounts / breaking anything in the process? Thanks so much for the info!

The plastic ring has a decent amount of give to it. You could probably bend the tabs if you were particularly forceful, but just don't yank out without pushing toward the center from the edge. The tabs are essentially at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. I've done it a few times recently doing some pad swapping to see if I like the change.

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 17
The plastic ring has a decent amount of give to it. You could probably bend the tabs if you were particularly forceful, but just don't yank out without pushing toward the center from the edge. The tabs are essentially at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. I've done it a few times recently doing some pad swapping to see if I like the change.

Awesome. I'll give it a go. Thanks again!

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 17
I purchased my Sundaras from an online store that offers a 1 year return policy, for that reason. No need at this time, and fantastically pleased with my headphones (and their service)!

Link to said online store? That's pretty cool 👍

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #14 of 17
Headphones.com (please forgive me if I’ve crossed a line).

Oh, ok. That's a very nice return period they offer, what with the standard (from what I knew) being 30 days or so so, that's interesting.

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 17

I have to admit, I'm too scared to try and take my pads off. I may have to find other alternatives. I'm worried I'll not be able to get them back on after the fact. I'm 100% all thumbs, 100% of the time lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back