Sundara+motu M2 soundcard+what amp?
Dec 31, 2023 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MCestari

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I've just received the Sundara headphones that I'm going to use to produce and listen to music. I already own a Motu M2 soundcard connected to nearfield monitors. The Motu gives some power to the headphones but I guess they would benefit from a dedicated amp in addition. Is it possible to connect a dedicated amp to the Motu soundcard? This way I could switch from headphones to monitors. Any amp (max 300€) to recommend? How do I connect it to the soundcard? Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 9
Moto UltraLite mk5 audio interface?

Jan 1, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 9
A JDS Atom amplifier connected with RCA will be plenty of clean power, on eBay you can sometimes get a great deal. The Schiit Magni Heresy or Topping L30 II are all excellent choices. I've had them all and can't go wrong. Don't overspend on RCA cables, they all sound the same if not defective. Amazon basics are really high quality and durable.

Jan 1, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks! Any thoughts on the more compact Douk Audio U3 Mini?
Douk Audio isn't bad, just not as clean sounding as the Atom or Topping L30 ii by any means. Check output impedance of their stuff, over 1.2 and it will change the sound of sensitive IEMs, but the noise floor on Douk stuff is higher which is really annoying. Pause a song and max the volume, if you hear a hiss, then you have a noise floor issue. With the three I mentioned, it won't be a problem.

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks! Any thoughts on the more compact Douk Audio U3 Mini?

One nice feature of the U3 is the ability to op-amp roll if you want to tweak the default sound.

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 9
I ordered the Topping L30II on Amazon (should arrive in a couple of days) considering the better overall quality. Besides, I wasn't interested in op-amp roll even tough It's nice to learn it's possible...thanks for the info, it's been helpful!

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 9
I received the Topping L30II and I'm happy with it! One downside tough is that now can't listen to the headphones without turning up the monitors (unless I turn them off). That's because in the M2 there's only one knob volume for both the rca outs (going to the headphones) and the TRS outs (going to he monitors). I guess one solution would be an additional volume control between the soundcard and the monitors, like the Mackie Big Knob Passive. Or connect the topping with the headphones out of the M2. Any thoughts about that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back