SummitFi EDM Rig - Studio Six vs Liquid Gold vs BHSE / LCD X vs LCD 3 vs SR009
Aug 28, 2014 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

galacticsoap

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I’m thinking of treating myself and upgrading my headphone rig, and based on everything I've read the ALO Audio Studio Six + LCD X combo sounds like it ticks all the boxes.

This rig will replace my current components which are an original pair of LCD 2's (i.e. not rev 2) + Woo Audio WA2 (Stock Tubes – I know!). 90% of the headphone listening I do involves electronic music (Progressive House, Tech House, Minimal Tech etc). I do enjoy some speed in attack, and detail retrieval/fidelity when listening, but my preference leans towards the slightly warmer/darker Audeze House sound compared to the more analytical/bright HD800 take on things. As such an amp that has a little bit of euphonic colouration while still providing bass slam  in spades sounds like a the sort of next step I should be taking.

As such, given what I’ve read about the LCD X’s retaining the Audeze House sound while still being a little bit more forward in their presentation of micro/macro dynamics, while possessing a faster transient attack compared to the LCD-3 I think I’m potentially looking at a match made in heaven coupled with the tube rolling possibilities of the Studio 6.

My question therefore gents, is:

• What do you think of my hypothesis: is the Audeze LCD X + Studio Six the best combo I should consider or is there something else that may be more appropriate given what I’ve mentioned above:
    • HE-6 + Cavali/Woo Audio/Head Amp?
    • LCD-3 + Cavali/Woo Audio/Head Amp?
    • Stax 009? + Head Amp/Woo Audio (I've heard that the Stax SR009 is quite simply the final word when it comes to Cans, but given my personal taste noted above the LCD-X + Studio 6 combo might be a better match)...given we're talking about a further $4K on top of the ALO + LCDX combo I'm hesitant to consider this option but thought I'd acknowledge it as a contender for the purpose of a proper conversation on what will effectively be my main rig for the next 3 years... 

Now here's the kicker, and unfortunately it's a big one: I live in one of the best cities in the world when it comes to most of the finer things in life, alas Headfi is one of the few things where Sydney isn't at her best. I don't have a chance to audition any of these combinations and alas will be making my call based on the guidance I get on forums like this.

Given the components we're talking about, relative to my current rig I doubt I'll be disappointed regardless of which path I take. But thought I'd put the question to you guys to get some more insight.

For what it's worth the rest of my system consists of:

Source: Squeeze Box Touch + Teddy Pardo for Streaming/Spotify and a Bel Canto CD3T Transport
DAC: Bel Canto DAC 3.5VBS/ VBS1/ Ref Link
Power: Isotek Polaris + Isotek Power Cables
Internconnects: Black Mountain Cable Pinnacle Gold RCA Interconnects 1.5m
USB: 2 Meter Wire World Ultraviolet

Thanks in advance
Soapy

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 25
 I've read good things about the Apex Teton being used with the LCD-X, although that amp is $5,000.

Thanks for the suggestion David. While that price isn't that much different to the Studio Six, and a brief look into the amp points to a quality product. I was keen on hearing out of the combinations listed in the title of this thread what if any would be a good partnership given my taste in music.

Perhaps I could phrase it like this. 

Considering the nature of Electronic Music, and my bias towards a slightly warm, sound that allows for some euphonic coloration what is the best combination:

LCD X + Studio 6
LCD X + Cavali Liquid Gold
LCD 3 + Studio 6
LCD 3 + Cavali Liquid Gold
Stax SR009 + Blue Hawaii Special Edition 

I've heard that while the Stax is and overall better proposition when compared to the Audeze's, for the sonic traits/elements that I value, and the music I listen to the Studio 6 + LCD X would be the best combination.

Thoughts? :) 

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 25
Forget about SR-009 + BHSE.
Smooth / non-abrasive by their very e-stat nature, but by no means warm.
And be prepared for 1-2 years wait for the BHSE, it's part of the journey...unless you catch an used one, kind of unobtainium which may be more expensive than a brand new unit.

Ali

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 25
For somebody who mainly enjoy electronic music I would personally recommends the Fostex TH900 +Bakoon HPA-21. I have  owned or spent enough time with all the cans you mentioned, although I haven't heard the Studio 6 or Liquid Gold. 
It you are set on Audeze, the LCD3 and Bakoon is also superb and it is only the issue with comfort, or lack of, that helped me decide on the Fostex.
I wouldn't even consider the SR009 + Blue Hawaii for electronic music but that just me.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 25
Forget about SR-009 + BHSE.
Smooth / non-abrasive by their very e-stat nature, but by no means warm.
And be prepared for 1-2 years wait for the BHSE, it's part of the journey...unless you catch an used one, kind of unobtainium which may be more expensive than a brand new unit.

Ali

Thanks Ali - I keep on hearing conflicting things about the ETA/Turn around times of the BHSE. I was advised that if I committed to purchase one soon I'd make the next manufacturing batch which would see me get the unit in 6 months, which while being relatively long is something I'd consider holding out for given it's THE standard in Headfi. 

For somebody who mainly enjoy electronic music I would personally recommends the Fostex TH900 +Bakoon HPA-21. I have  owned or spent enough time with all the cans you mentioned, although I haven't heard the Studio 6 or Liquid Gold. 
It you are set on Audeze, the LCD3 and Bakoon is also superb and it is only the issue with comfort, or lack of, that helped me decide on the Fostex.
I wouldn't even consider the SR009 + Blue Hawaii for electronic music but that just me.

Thanks ZP - While I'm not really set on Audeze, I do love their house sound, or perhaps I've gotten used to it with my time with the LCD2. Naively, given I'm somewhat of a (quality) bass head I've always considered Audeze beyond equal when it comes to their prowess with producing tight, defined, and low bass. Does the TH900 stand toe to toe on this front I wonder?

RE: Comfort, I'm not too fussed. Thankfully I don't find the Audeze's too big.I suspect this is because I've only known the Audeze experience: Ignorance is in fact bliss in this instance. Cheers, for your thoughts on the SR009 + BHSE. It looks like the Stax's are off the list - Phew!

Now it comes down to:

LCD3 vs LCDX 
Cavali Liquid Gold vs Studio Six 

Thanks again for your thoughts guys: keep em coming! :)

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 25
I have the 009 / BHSE, and I also have the LCD-XC which I drove with the GS-Xmk2 before I sold that dynamic amp.
I sold the GS-X because I was hardy using it when I started using PH tubes with my BHSE, however I'm in the process of altering my kitchen and conservatory and once they're done I'm planning on another headphone system in the conservatory.
This new headphone system will consist of my LCD-XC, probably the Apex Teton and Metrum Hex DAC.
I'm going for a tube dynamic amp because I went to a Hi-Fi show a couple of months ago and heard this speaker system which used a CD player and tube amp and the SQ was very realistic.
Obviously speakers are different to headphones but a CD player / tube amp combo should give me the SQ I'm looking for.
I'm also thinking of going for the Apex Teton because of what I've read about it.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 25
I'd say if going tubed, lcd3 w/ wa22 or wa5. The 110 impedance woo audio's light and quick sound signature will match well.

If wanting a versatile and overall marginally best headphone at any price, sr009. Honestly though it's just too expensive considering the lcd3 and lcdx come so close, I'd say less likely to have buyers remorse if you went w/ audeze

If you are open to solid state, which I think is best for you, I'd say lcdx or lcd3 w/ schiit Mjolnir or auralic mk2 or GSx mk2. Either will sound absolutely amazing. For EDM I'd give the edge to the lcdx, but for all genres, for less than ideal sources, and versatility I'd say the lcd3 is better. The solid state I think provides very quick transients, which EDM has lots, that only very expensive tube amps can match.

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 25
I don't see anything wrong with your current setup and don't think that anything you're considering is really a huge upgrade over what you currently own either. If you're dissatisfied with what you own that'd be one thing, but if you're not, why bother?

If you have money to burn I'd recommend traveling to a show or meet. There are actually some Head-Fi meets there in Sydney (check the Meets forum), just wait for the next one. I also know of Addicted to Audio (http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/) who carries various brands that are popular on Head-Fi. Or if you don't mind traveling a bit farther, there are also shows in Japan (one coming up in October) and huge regional meets in California (USA) slated for next year.

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 25
  I don't see anything wrong with your current setup and don't think that anything you're considering is really a huge upgrade over what you currently own either. If you're dissatisfied with what you own that'd be one thing, but if you're not, why bother?

If you have money to burn I'd recommend traveling to a show or meet. There are actually some Head-Fi meets there in Sydney (check the Meets forum), just wait for the next one. I also know of Addicted to Audio (http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/) who carries various brands that are popular on Head-Fi. Or if you don't mind traveling a bit farther, there are also shows in Japan (one coming up in October) and huge regional meets in California (USA) slated for next year.

Hi Mate - Thanks for taking the time to reply. I definately don't have money to burn and the thought of dropping close to $10K (including shipping + cables/interconnect etc) and NOT getting a step change in overall SQ sends a cold shiver down my spine i.e. I'd rather can this whole shebang and not go down that road if that's the outcome. Would a Studio Six + LCD-X really only be a minute improvement in SQ compared to my current WA2 + LCD-2 rig?

Thanks for the tip on the Meets, I'll keep an eye out. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 25
I agree, it'd be better value to spend the $$ to fly to a meet than buy a bunch of TOTL gear which you'll lose as much or more money on if you don't like it. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #12 of 25
Alas, with 3 kids under 5, including a 4 month old and an incredibly demanding job flying to Japan or the States isn't an option...

Am I reading this right, the general sentiment is that an LCD-X + Studio Six rig would only be fractionally/marginally better than a 5 year old Woo Audio WA2 + LCD2 rig?

I've got to say I'm quite surprised by that concept...

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 25
How about flying to Melbourne, if you aren't there already? It doesn't have to be international.

The rig may not be dramatically better, no. It's hard to say not being familiar with the music you like (and not having owned that amp myself, nor your DAC). 
smile.gif

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #14 of 25
Would a Studio Six + LCD-X really only be a minute improvement in SQ compared to my current WA2 + LCD-2 rig?

It's certainly possible that the new gear might not provide the sonic improvement that you're hoping for. I owned the LCD-2 (both the r1 and r2) and LCD-3, and I've heard the LCD-X briefly (in my home for a mere 6 days), but I was thoroughly unimpressed and thought the LCD-X sounded alot like the ole LCD-3, which in turn was almost the same as the LCD-2.

I'd recommend keeping what you already have: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Aug 30, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #15 of 25
LCD-3 + GSX MK2 is nice 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back