Summit-fi unamped?
Mar 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #16 of 43
  You mean, sound comes out of them? :)

Funny thing is that while it sounds very non-amazing to me it would still blow the socks off anyone that's used to listening to beats all day.

Is the last bit of detail there? No.

Is the soundstage collapsed and a bit flat? Yes.

Is that last bit of texture and tightness there in the bass? No.

I could go on but you get the picture.... but I would still say it sounds "decent". Certainly better than an ipod and your average in-ear.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #17 of 43
Ultrasone Edition 12, or possibly the Beyer t5p. The ED12 is driven pretty well on the cheap, sounds amazing out of the old CD player I pulled from the attic. For reference that thing couldn't drive the HD700 at all.

Currently I'm running it direct off my DAC's output or through vintage receivers whilst I save up for a quality amp.

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #18 of 43
Ok going to pull the trigger on the t5p or the th900. Which one?  Tried the hd-650 unamped and its awful.  Cannot stand it.  Properly amped it may be my favorite of my collection at any price though :)

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #22 of 43
So th900 it is? Any disagreements there?

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #23 of 43
No. Rather then letting us choose what you should be purchasing, shouldn't you be researching and looking for up reviews of said headphones so you can decide for yourself if they are worthwhile getting, it is your money after all unless you have to much of it, then buy a TH900 as well. 
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #24 of 43
No. Rather then letting us choose what you should be purchasing, shouldn't you be researching and looking for up reviews of said headphones so you can decide for yourself if they are worthwhile getting, it is your money after all unless you have to much of it, then buy a TH900 as well. :wink:

Yeah I already know what these are and what they do. You go try to find a bunch of unamped reviews and get back with me. I wanted real owners of th900s to try this and report back. If you have these, fine if you don't in not sure exactly how you are really helping here by posting that. I didn't get into this whole headphone thing yesterday :wink: as you can tell I have one or two.. There just isn't a place to audition high end gear here so I must rely on others for impressions.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #25 of 43
Yeah I already know what these are and what they do. You go try to find a bunch of unamped reviews and get back with me. I wanted real owners of th900s to try this and report back. If you have these, fine if you don't in not sure exactly how you are really helping here by posting that. I didn't get into this whole headphone thing yesterday :wink: as you can tell I have one or two.. There just isn't a place to audition high end gear here so I must rely on others for impressions.

Using the TH900 straight from my laptop right now and it sounds amazing. Go for the TH900!

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #26 of 43
You go try to find a bunch of unamped reviews and get back with me. 

Don't need to. I go to the many enthusiast stores we have here to try them directly with hands on experience. My time on head-fi or any other audio forum that matter is you can't trust a large percentage of others impressions, especially "professional" review sites such as 6moons, more of a fantasy story telling experience then get straight to the business with products reviews. 

Have said my 2c's the TH900.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #28 of 43
Ok th900 it is. Thanks :-D

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #29 of 43
Still don't understand who you don't want to use a miniature DAC/Amp for your already easy to drive LCD-XC.
TH900 will not really be an upgrade to the XC in SQ. It will be a lot lighter and comfortable though.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #30 of 43
Better a used Denon D5000 with J$ pads if you're going unamped. That way you only pay 400-500$, there's NO need to pay 2000$ for the TH900.
Or a CD3000 - that's way better sounding - if you can find one that still works and doesn't sound like crap. I have to warn you, most of them are fizzy decaying husks by now, the CD3000's, but if you can find a (L)NIB one, jump on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back