Summit-Fi Headphones or IEMs?
Jun 25, 2021 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kadinh

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have been looking at higher end equipment and wanted to open a discussion for entertainment purposes:

Let’s say that you won a worldwide competition and you were able to pick one pair of whatever headphone or IEM of your choosing. What would be your selection and why?

Jun 25, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 19
Hifiman Susvara and Oriolus Traillii. Why? Because they sound the best.

Jun 25, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 19
For my current use case (working from home) full size open back headphones win over IEMs. From the headphones I tried, Abyss AB-1266 TC were the closest to my sonic preferences.

Jun 25, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 19
Hifiman Susvara and Oriolus Traillii. Why? Because they sound the best.
Traillii for me too, or Abyss 1266. I just don’t know if I would rather have an IEM or full size headphone.

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 19
HE1 ...

otherwise Susvara or 009

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 19
Hello all,

I have been looking at higher end equipment and wanted to open a discussion for entertainment purposes:

Let’s say that you won a worldwide competition and you were able to pick one pair of whatever headphone or IEM of your choosing. What would be your selection and why?

1. AKG K1000 for holographic imaging

2. A custom shell Westone W2 since I already like its sound and can make do without having to replace the tips

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 19
So I guess just choosing the most expensive one available at the time?

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 19
So I guess just choosing the most expensive one available at the time?
Not even close. Sennheiser HE-1 or Hifiman Shangri-la Sr are the most expensive, yet not so often recommended, as people believe you can get comparable performance from other TOTL headphones.

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 19
Not even close. Sennheiser HE-1 or Hifiman Shangri-la Sr are the most expensive, yet not so often recommended, as people believe you can get comparable performance from other TOTL headphones.
But if price isn’t an option, why go for “comparable performance” if you can get the absolute Best Buy getting “the best”?

i guess what I’m getting at is that some people would choose a MEST over a Forte because they like the sound more. I just wanted to have a discussion on what their dream HP/IEM would be, given the opportunity.

Jun 30, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 19
Hello all,

I'd probably choose something with a super interesting history, or rarity. Like a pair of unopened, original Grado HP1000.

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 19
If your asking just for one, then it depends on what invironment are you using it the most. If you're mostly stationary, home or office then full-size HPs. All ways mobile/on-the-go then IEMs.

But on extended trips, say a weekender, I do bring my (easy to drive) full size HPs.

If your asking for an opinion which is better, then there is no answer. That is why we do have multiple HPs/IEMs/Setups. Different tools for different jobs..

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 19
If your asking just for one, then it depends on what invironment are you using it the most. If you're mostly stationary, home or office then full-size HPs. All ways mobile/on-the-go then IEMs.

But on extended trips, say a weekender, I do bring my (easy to drive) full size HPs.

If your asking for an opinion which is better, then there is no answer. That is why we do have multiple HPs/IEMs/Setups. Different tools for different jobs..
Fair point, and I agree 100% with you. I wouldn’t want to take a Susvara on an airplane powered by a BTR5 with my iPhone as a source. But just for discussion’s sake, with the gear you have now, what area is lacking or what choice would improve it to your satisfaction?

For instance, if you have the Abyss AB1266 and LCD-4 already, would you go for another open back to fill in the gaps to round out your collection, or would you go a different way and decide to get the Trailli? Or perhaps you would rather have a headphone that isn’t in production anymore and impossible to buy.

Please don’t take all this the wrong way; I guess to round it up, I’m just interested in what everyone’s dream HP/IEM would be.

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 19
Fair point, and I agree 100% with you. I wouldn’t want to take a Susvara on an airplane powered by a BTR5 with my iPhone as a source. But just for discussion’s sake, with the gear you have now, what area is lacking or what choice would improve it to your satisfaction?

For instance, if you have the Abyss AB1266 and LCD-4 already, would you go for another open back to fill in the gaps to round out your collection, or would you go a different way and decide to get the Trailli? Or perhaps you would rather have a headphone that isn’t in production anymore and impossible to buy.

Please don’t take all this the wrong way; I guess to round it up, I’m just interested in what everyone’s dream HP/IEM would be.
I travel a lot, sometimes 1-2 months at a time. I've tested a lot of system combinations and I have arrived at the following as my minimalist travelling system:

Airpods Pro for talking on the phone (I just got a pair of Sony WF-1000-XM4 that I like better, but I am not comfortable going solo with them yet)

Hiby R6 2020 DAP because it is small and I can walk outside with it (My DX300 sounds better, but it's bigger and buliker so not best for walking outside).

Cayin C9 to pair with the R6 2020 for desktop listening

Custom Legend X because it has great isolation, is great for listening on the plane, pairs wonderfully with the R6 and has a great sound signature that compliments the Traillii

Oriolus Traillii for critical listening indoors

Focal Utopia for full sized headphone experience.

Back up L&P W2 in case the HIBY has problems.

That set up covers all of my use cases when on the road. I may substitute products like an HD800S for the Utopia or I might bring more than the minimal system for variety, but I could easily live with the above system for an extended period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back