Summer Job
May 26, 2008 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

malldian

Headphoneus Supremus
So what did/do you guys do for money over the summer?

For two years I worked at a pharmacy but I took a chance to make 50% more and am starting landscaping. Only problem is I have to wake up at 6
eek.gif
. I might work at the pharmacy too.

May 26, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 17
I have had internships at for the last two summers. This summer I decided to work for my uncle in the car business.

May 26, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 17
In High School I worked in catering during my summers. College...I waited tables. Now, I work all year round. The catering gig was pretty nice. I loaded the van, drove the van, unloaded the van, set up the tables and hung out. Hours were very odd once in awhile.

May 26, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 17
I never work, but this summer my sister's friend's mom needs me to baby sit her kids, which should be an easy task (my sister is coming with me every day, and the other one loves me already). She pays alot too, $10-12 an hour in most cases for 8 hrs a day.

May 26, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 17
I worked year-round. My job back home was good with only giving me the shifts I wanted (that probably had something to do with me being one of their longest standing employees, aside from management). I've never had to get a "Summer" job.

I asked my roommates, and one worked at a Golf Course, and she said it was fine. Paid decent ($10/hr, CDN), and free food. All she had to do was clean clubs, and bring them up to the members (ie, old people). The other roommate just worked at Sobeys (Grocery Store). Pretty standard fare, though she had a small Photography related internship as well.

These kids only work in the summer, when their RESPs don't cover their rent/food/school. Otherwise, they have it covered for everything. I've always worked because my parents taught me value at a young age, and if I wanted anything that wasn't a necessity, I'd have to pay for it myself. Considering all the random hobbies I've had, working since I was 12 makes sense to me. Not to mention, I live on my own now, so I have even more to pay for.

Stupid rent.

May 26, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 17
I did an internship last year and I am going to work there again this year (for a sizable raise!). I work the same as a full time employee and did a lot of stuff for them last year, including some database upgrades. Needless to say, they wanted me back.

The summer after my freshman year, I worked as a counsilor for a camp for gifted children. I was in the camp as a kid and always said I wanted to be a counsilor one year. It was the only year I could do it, so I did. Loved those kids, awesome well behaved kids.

May 27, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did an internship last year and I am going to work there again this year (for a sizable raise!). I work the same as a full time employee and did a lot of stuff for them last year, including some database upgrades. Needless to say, they wanted me back.

The summer after my freshman year, I worked as a counsilor for a camp for gifted children. I was in the camp as a kid and always said I wanted to be a counsilor one year. It was the only year I could do it, so I did. Loved those kids, awesome well behaved kids.

Hey gifted one, it's spelled counselor.
tongue.gif
Guess yer not as gifted as me.
wink.gif

May 27, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey gifted one, it's spelled counselor.
tongue.gif
Guess yer not as gifted as me.
wink.gif

gifted enough to camp out in front of preschool with patrick82?
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 17
Last couple years I've been paid to work on my thesis research over the summer. This July I should be starting a real job though, I'm pretty excited to finally do something meaningful.
I just need to figure out which job to take...

May 27, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #13 of 17
Last summer (after senior year of high school) I worked at CVS Pharmacy. It was minimum wage, and the hours were erratic, but the work itself wasn't too bad.

This summer I'm interning at a startup mechanical engineering firm. Much better pay, hours, coworkers, work, and general environment. I'm really enjoying it so far.

May 27, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im an enginerd.

I dont splel!

Im an enginerd too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1
gifted enough to camp out in front of preschool with patrick82?

I heard that's what MENSA did at its last meeting.
eek.gif
I suppose you can't blame them... 98th percentile's not that good, so their judgment is bad.

May 27, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 17
One summer in High School I worked at a community college doing outdoor maintenance (i.e. pulling weeds). I worked from 9-3, four days a week. By the end of the summer, our supervisors weren't even keeping tabs on us. I was taking half hour breaks in the morning and my half hour lunch became an hour and a half. Of all the days I worked, it only rained once, at which point we were instructed to move some tables and chairs around inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back