Summer Job Suggestions?
Apr 4, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A facer? You mean conditioning? The night crew does all of the conditioning themselves.

Some stores have facers who wander the store during regular business hours touching things up.

I've heard that the level of boredom and lack of responsibility approaches pure serenity. Or unbearable tedium, depending on your outlook.

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #17 of 31
Yes, that is true. Here, on Thursday nights, there are no truck deliveries, and only two people from the night crew sit and do nothing but condition aisles all night. It's as boring as hell and numbs the mind severely. I'm glad I don't have to do that any more.

You can't lack responsibility here though. One un-faced item and you will get called back to the aisle to fix it, and get chewed out in the process too.

Apr 4, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #20 of 31
Dude, i have no idea what to tell you, its so dam hard in the US right now to find a decent job, i'm 21 living in CT and havent had one in almost a yeah...yeah a year.

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a night stocking job with Kroger, they will definitely teach you the meaning of hard, hard (crapty) work.

If that is your definition of hard work you have been lucky in never getting a hard job. If you really want a hard job go to a farm and haul some hay.

I second the government job, usually incredibly easy. On that hand, you could always try to find a job working at your favorite clothing store, as long as you dont mind retail. Not the greatest pay, but you will also have a bunch of new clothes at low price for the next school year.

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #23 of 31
Bar work can be fun, especially if you end up with a good crew to work with. If you end up with a great one, (as I did) t's like an evening out, only much cheaper (they even pay you!) and no hangover in the morning.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

If that is your definition of hard work you have been lucky in never getting a hard job. If you really want a hard job go to a farm and haul some hay.

I don't know man. At the store I'm at, we're severely understaffed and the supervisor works us like dogs. Like filthy, worthless dogs. One of the crew members says that his former job at UPS was less strenuous. That's pretty bad!

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #25 of 31
I worked at a movie theater in high school. Great place - the pay was OK, lots of fun people my age, and I got all the free movies and popcorn I wanted. Not only that, but they let my immediate family in for free movies even when I wasn't working, and I could bring something like 8 people with me for free, too.

I don't know if theaters are still like that, but it was a great job.

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #26 of 31
Have friends? Do you like them? Work with them. I've spent summer as a mover, with a good friend, and although it was physically demanding and psychologically taxing (boss was verifiably insane), we were constantly having fun, and getting a good workout.

Have a particular interest? (electronics, physics, music/piano, etc) Leverage it. Maybe you can get a discount on the side. I had a friend in high school who worked at a software store--they encouraged employees to install software at home, so they could learn the products. Was a great deal for him, even though the pay was mediocre.

Have something you want to learn? Learn it on the job and get paid. I've done this MANY times. Nothing vouches for your ability to do something like a previous employer writing a recommendation, and citing your ability.

Just need the most money possible? Look for something distasteful and/or hard. Off-shift janitorial service. UPS early-AM delivery shift to the ghetto. Any farm job (baling hay, cleaning hog house, etc). Customer service for telemarketing or fundraising. Landscaping. Busing tables at a mediocre restaurant.

Want to be lazy & comfortable while doing something interesting and getting paid well? You'll need degrees or a rich/powerful friend for that...

Apr 4, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #27 of 31
BTW, it's probably too late for this summer, but for next summer work on getting an internship with a respected company in your field. It will make all the difference when you're done school and applying for jobs.

If you're shooting for grad school, switch that advice to work on getting a research assistantship with a professor during the summer.

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #28 of 31
i dunno..all these suggestions are lame....donate one of your kidneys for cash and you'll be set for the summer

Apr 5, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man whoring - I earned $3 a day!

That's terrible advice ....

..I know from personal experience you can get at least $6 a day
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back