Suitible amp for RS-1 less than $500?
Mar 29, 2009 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

UncleDavid218

100+ Head-Fier
I've already got a Little Dot I+ but I have a feeling this isn't the best amp for these phones.

I will be purchasing the phones shortly and would like some input on the amp of choice...

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 17
I'm well aware of the controversy surrounding the components that constitute the Grado RA-1, so I don't want this to turn into a discussion of whether or not the RA-1 is worth the price tag of $350. All I can say is that I've heard a LOT of amps driving the RS-1, and while I've heard some (the Melos in particular) that better the RA-1, none I've heard are anywhere near the price of an RA-1. The Grado RS-1/RA-1 synergy is something that has to be heard to be believed. I've heard it..........and I'm a believer. Just my opinion, of course.
In any case, your ears are the only judge that matters.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm well aware of the controversy surrounding the components that constitute the Grado RA-1, so I don't want this to turn into a discussion of whether or not the RA-1 is worth the price tag of $350. All I can say is that I've heard a LOT of amps driving the RS-1, and while I've heard some (the Melos in particular) that better the RA-1, none I've heard are anywhere near the price of an RA-1. The Grado RS-1/RA-1 synergy is something that has to be heard to be believed. I've heard it..........and I'm a believer. Just my opinion, of course.
In any case, your ears are the only judge that matters.
biggrin.gif

I couldn't agree more! Go for the RA-1 a perfect match!

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 17
Try a hybrid like the SOHA/ JISBOS - SOHA 2 - Millet MOSFET Max - Millet Mini-Max .... all of them sound excellent with Grados. Buying these amps used, I typically paid around $225-275 with shipping. The Millet MOSFET is probably my favorite using Alessandro MS2s.

MAXcollage.jpg

13122008269dd9.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 17
Last year I bought a Joe Grado HPA-1 to use with my HP-2, and ended up using it with RS-1/flats. Recently took delivery/burned-in a KICAS Caliente. It is a wonderful surprise with the RS-1. It takes my usual jazz 'phone and turns them into a credible 'phone for Symphonies, largely because of its' tight bass having great depth......better yet. Can $ translates to aprox $325US. It's a far better amp than the price suggests. I've already recommended it to a friend for his RS-1.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 17
My preference would be a tube amp as I love the lush mids (they make the harsh Grados a little more bearable).

Is the Mapletree the best bet for the 325i and RS-1 combo?

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleDavid218 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My preference would be a tube amp as I love the lush mids (they make the harsh Grados a little more bearable).

"Harsh" is a word that might be used to describe some Grado 'phones, particularly the SR-325 (not the "i" version), but I have never found the RS-1 to be "harsh,' or even overly bright with any decent amp. Again, this just my opinion based on what I hear.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Harsh" is a word that might be used to describe some Grado 'phones, particularly the SR-325 (not the "i" version), but I have never found the RS-1 to be "harsh,' or even overly bright with any decent amp. Again, this just my opinion based on what I hear.

I was referring to the 325's, as that's what I currently own. My preference is still the same, however -- I want a tube amp. I "like" tube amps more from not only a sonics standpoint but I find them much more fascinating to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back