Suggestions on in-ear universal fit under $75
May 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

SparkyXI

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. First post. Huzzah.

So - I would consider myself an audiophile: I have been a musician for most of my life and have prior experience in the recording studio (on both sides of the glass, with an AA Degree as a studio engineer). That being said, I've been rocking Skullcandy Ink'd and Riots for the better part of 3 years for my general listening pleasure. I have to say, I've been somewhat happy with them - they fit well and sound alright, but they are definitely cheap. I need an upgrade for everyday use.

Could you all suggest something similar that would be a worthwhile upgrade under $75? I tried the UE MetroBlehs and didn't like the fit at all. I would try the Skullcandy Titan, but they have the inline vol control, which is asking for trouble. I wish I could drop the cheddar on some Shures or custom UEs, but I just can't do it.

Thoughts? Comments? Flavors?

May 27, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 15
And......... thanks for that. 
ksc75smile.gif

May 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 15
Tell me how you like your music to sound. I can recommend either the RE0 or the Hippo VB, but absolutely not both at once.

May 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 15
I listen to anything from rock to doo-wop to soul and Motown. I like a good mix of low and high end, without sacrificing mids. More precisely said, I like a good bit of low end in kick drums and bass guitars, with nicely defined highs and guitar tone. Or even better, a well rounded sound with just a touch more low and high than mid, while staying true to the recording. Does that help?

May 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Yes. You described the ViSang R03.

Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about.

The RE0, as great as they are, are not a good choice for you.

In the future, avoid Shure. They favor a mid forward sound with rolled off treble.

May 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 15
Again (joker and semisight), thanks for the input. I started researching the Hippo VB before reading your posts - how would the two (Hippo VB vs ViSang R03) compare, in your opinions? After reading up on the RE0, I think I can agree with your assessment.

As well, I have smaller ears. Will this hinder my decision on either of these two models?

May 27, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 15
I think only ClieOS has heard both the VB and R03 and he ranks the VB slightly higher overall if I remember correctly. But from what I understand they're different sound signatures. Not sure about the VB but the R03s are pretty easy-going in terms of fit and don't need a deep seal.

May 28, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #10 of 15
Joker (or anyone else): on the R03, do you find that the seal is secure? If I wanted to use these on stage, might I have issues with them falling out? As a drummer, I have to think about these things. :)

May 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #11 of 15
Update: Based on your suggestions, I decided to pick up a set of Brainwavz M2 under preorder ($49.50 shipped: can't go wrong with that). Let's see how these work out. Hopefully I can use these in the studio/on stage as well... the cables definitely look like they cut the mustard, which is one thing I *loathe* about the cheap Skullcandys...

May 28, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #12 of 15
the cable is quite strong I actually I had them on once and I accidently dropped my backpack on them. The impact was strong enough to send my player flying onto the floor
eek.gif
 and no damage was done as far as I noticed. 

May 28, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Joker (or anyone else): on the R03, do you find that the seal is secure? If I wanted to use these on stage, might I have issues with them falling out? As a drummer, I have to think about these things. :)

With a good seal you should be okay. The R03 definitely aren't as secure as some of the deeply-inserted monitors out there but you'd have to be moving pretty sporadically for them to fall out. I think the mp4nation version comes with a set of over-the-ear cable guides, which may help further secure them in place.

May 28, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

With a good seal you should be okay. The R03 definitely aren't as secure as some of the deeply-inserted monitors out there but you'd have to be moving pretty sporadically for them to fall out. I think the mp4nation version comes with a set of over-the-ear cable guides, which may help further secure them in place.

Fair enough. I would assume that I can find deeper foam inserts if I really have issues?

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #15 of 15
So... an update. I received my M2's, and have burned them in (full pink noise, maybe 80 hours). They sound excellent - very happy with the audio quality. Definitely true to the music. The cabling is awesome - I'm very anal about my cables being wrapped correctly, and these are wonderful. My one gripe is that wrapping around the ear is damn-near impossible because of the strain relief. I have been contemplating cutting the relief down to see if that will help, but we'll see.

All in all, I'm pleased with them as an everyday at the office / home and potential studio use in ear.

Thanks again everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back