Suggestions on a Sound Test for Headphones.
Oct 25, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 10
Rather than a CD, another option to consider is a tone generator program. Then for things like sweeps you can customize the parameters to whatever you want (say, looping 200 to 20 hz over 15 secs).

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 10
There are some websites that offer test tones as well as frequency sweeps. You won't be able to customize it over a certain range but they are usually audio files you can download or something you click on and you can hear the tones or sweeps.

One such is http://www.burninwave.com/ . There are many other places if you don't want to spend any money on stuff like that.

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 10
Pretty much any of them should be within your stated budget.

The Esser Audio one is good. And it allows you to save to wav files, so you could still create your own test CD if desired (or convert them for playing on an MP3 player).

But plenty of others can be found easily by googling, or checking the download sites. And a free trial is typical.

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks everyone this helps out alot I already found headsets with poor bass response easily. Audio Technica has been nice enough to send out a set of ath a700's for use as a reference in my reviews so that is going to help out greatly. None of the gaming headsets I review are usually over 150 anyway so the AT's should fit the bill quite well.

I forgot to mention, I use a mac! Too bad I can't run some of the programs you all suggested!

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 10
The problem is that there is nothing 'off' with a pair of headphones. Each headphones has been designed to sound a certain way. Each sound has its fans and its venues. So, there is no 50hz being off - there is just a different accent at 50hz. The only headphones that should sound flat and perfect are headphones that advertise themselves as being flat and perfect. Only they should be held up to their advertising as monitors - all the rest should just be enjoyed. You can look for things like Equal loudness tests that will help you decide how your ear and your headphones match up, but you have to be honest, your ear is NOT going to judge a pair of headphones the way a machine can. Your ears may have as many or more so-called 'faults' as your headphones will.

Nov 5, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 10
I have already done that test. and in my reviews sound is only 1 of 5 criteria its gaming gear afterall. As you have said sound is extremely subjective and I always mention that, but i dont have 5k to burn on a HATS  so my ears will have to do for now. secondly is a headphone says it can produce a 50hz tone the 50hz tone should be clean not buzzy. Whether it sounds good its whole nother game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back