Suggestions for work opportunites over summer....
Apr 29, 2008 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gallardo88

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
It will be th 1st time I'm not busy this summer, and I have no idea how to use the free time. I'm considering working, as I could use some extra cash, but I really don't know where to start.
So, if anyone has any good ideas for a job from, let's say, mid-June to mid-August for a 15 year old that will give me a decent ( for a 15 year old
biggrin.gif
) pay and at the same time give me some experience and be useful. Basically I want to earn a little, but not be wasting my time at a footlocker or anything like that.
Thanks

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 6
First, you'd need to get your working papers/permit. Most places only accept people ages 16 or older. (I don't know about California, but it's like this in New York.)
You can probably work at places like family businesses. Maybe you can even find a paying internship. At your age especially, volunteering at places like animal shelters, retirement homes, museums, libraries, etc. is essential and will look good on your high school transcript.
You should also speak with your guidance counselor about this before you actually go out and work.

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 6
yeah, you need to get the work permits and stuff
its more paperwork than i'd like

try working at a place where the employer knows you. maybe like where you get your haircut, a restaurant, etc

and you might get paid underthetable

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 6
You can also get a lifeguard permit (somewhat hard to do) and work as a lifeguard over the summer. From what I've heard, the pay is pretty decent.

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 6
While living in South America, I used to see the kids nailing shoe shine boxes together to get out and make a few Pesos. Don't know if there is a demand in the US though. You might want to check with your local Chamber of Commerce to find out if you need a permit and information on any rules that might apply. Check your local child labor laws and if it's a green light, don't forget Schedule C (Form 1040).

Personally, I would be studying for the next school semester.

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm not sure if it's still required, but I needed a work permit when I was in high school here in California.

Fast food was an awful job, but working at a movie theater was great. See if your local one is hiring. I got free movies, got to let my friends in for free when I was at work, could take a bunch of friends in with me, and got free popcorn and drinks, too. They even let my immediate family in for free when I wasn't working. I don't know if theaters are still this liberal, but I think it's worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back