Suggestions for upgrade from AD900?
Nov 1, 2007 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tz3ling

Head-Fier
Well I've been considering an upgrade from my AD900 for a while now... I mainly listen to classical, jazz, vocals, and a bit of rock.

And for my current setup, I'm using Foobar2k(ASIO4ALL)-->Musiland MD10-->darkvoice 336i-->AD900/MS2i

Any suggestions for headphones that might suit my music tastes/setup in the below $500 range?

Cheers

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Yo Tz3ling! how r ya?
Based on our gathering before, don't you love HD650 or W1000 sounds?
I'm quite sure it match ur current rigs too!

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 13
hd800 maybe or jh13. All the other stuff Ive tried are not as good as the ad900s. Who knows I might even like the ad900s more than the hd800s... Ive yet to try them though

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 13
Beyerdynamic dt880 600ohm Manufaktur, pair great with your music plus they have great synergy with your darkvoice. Actually, I never found most AT headphones Ive heard to pair well with darkvoice, I think they like SS amps better, obviously this is a generalization.
If you want to stick with AT, then the logical step would be the ad2000's.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd800 maybe or jh13. All the other stuff Ive tried are not as good as the ad900s.

After reading this comment, I looked at the list of phones that you have owned or tried. Now I am impressed! I knew that my AD900s were very good, but I lack the experience to realize that they were that good!
Perhaps I should forget the idea of trying to upgrade from them, and focus my attention (and money) on upgrading my electronics instead? I certainly have room for improvement in that area. (For about $1000, A Little Dot CD Transport, DAC, and MK V amp would make a sweet-looking stack, as well as sounding awesome!)

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps I should forget the idea of trying to upgrade from them, and focus my attention (and money) on upgrading my electronics instead? I certainly have room for improvement in that area. (For about $1000, A Little Dot CD Transport, DAC, and MK V amp would make a sweet-looking stack, as well as sounding awesome!)

The MKV is a good amp, but not a great match for the AD900 in my experience. The MKV produced way too much background hissing with my AD900. The MKV does the job nicely for my DT880 and even matches well with the lower ohm Pro900, there are better amps out there for the AD900.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 13
AD900 was one of my favorite but I sold them after I received my W5000. So that must tell something. I felt that W5000's sound was very similar to AD900 but with much more bass impact, detail, and instrument separation. You could also go for HD600/650 if you want different taste.

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will eventually upgrade from AD900s. When I do so, however, I am certain that I will have to spend more than $500 to get any real improvement (probably a lot more.)

I'm not so sure about that, the AD900 wasn't really an upgrade compared to my "cheap" Phonak PFEs, so i sold it. But i admit it was more of a signature problem (too bright for my tastes). Besides the PFEs are certainly terrific for the price.

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not so sure about that, the AD900 wasn't really an upgrade compared to my "cheap" Phonak PFEs, so i sold it. But i admit it was more of a signature problem (too bright for my tastes). Besides the PFEs are certainly terrific for the price.

Then the PFEs must be absolutely astonishing for the price!
eek.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 13
Yeah i wish they started making headphones just like Shure
biggrin.gif

The PFEs are darker than the AD900 though, so it's not really a good suggestion if you love the AD900's signature.
Now i remember a few people at Headphonic praise the MS Pro as a good upgrade from the AD900. Both cans are quite popular over there.
The AD2000 was also mentionned above, but it's supposed to have a different signature (warmer). Ask donunus for more detail.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd800 maybe or jh13. All the other stuff Ive tried are not as good as the ad900s. Who knows I might even like the ad900s more than the hd800s... Ive yet to try them though

I hope that you do get a chance to try the HD800s soon, as I will be very interested in your impressions. Right now, those or the W5000s seem like just about the only headphones that stand a chance of being a genuine upgrade from AD900s. (What I have read about AD2000s makes me think I would not like them as well, much less better.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back