Suggestions for Upbeat Christian Music?
Sep 21, 2003 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

JMedeiros

Headphoneus Supremus
Good morning-

I have really been enjoying my two Aaron Neville CDs for about a month now.

Does anybody have some other suggestions of good contemporary Christian themed music? Rock,(not metal)pop, country, or just gorgeous vocals...I'm open to suggestions.

John

Sep 21, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 26
Hi John,

I friend of mine really likes a group called Jars of Clay (or something very similar to this name, I can find out). They seem to be upbeat. I am not familiar with their music, so this is second hand advice, but better than none
biggrin.gif

cheers

Sep 21, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 26
the flaming lips: in a preist driven ambulence
wow, a rock band wrote christian music and didn't realize it! fun, upbeat album, songs about god and jesus, straight up, ending in their version of "what a wonderful world". oh, and they're not mocking, either.

Sep 21, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 26
I forgot to mention...

Embodyment - all there new stuff is great
Stretch Arm Strong - New stuff is rock with alot of punk flair
Michael W. Smith
Steven Curtis Chapman

Sep 21, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 26
I'm pretty sure that Cat Stephens is a Christian. I recommend the album Teaser and the Firecat. "Morning Has Broken" is very inspirational, and I'm not even religious!

Sep 21, 2003 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by truant truism
I'm pretty sure that Cat Stephens is a Christian. I recommend the album Teaser and the Firecat. "Morning Has Broken" is very inspirational, and I'm not even religious!

you sure about that...cat stevens is involved with Islam.

Sep 21, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by TopDog
you sure about that...cat stevens is involved with Islam.

"On December 23, 1977, Stevens formally became a Muslim and adopted the name Yusuf Islam." -

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll

I guess you're right. The album I mentioned was released in '71, so that explains my mistake: he was probably a Christian back then. Anyway, I've always found his music uplifting, regardless of religious affiliation. Wether it's appropriate for this thread is another question. So please disregard anything Cat Stephens has released after Dec. 23, 1977
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 26
Twila Paris is one of my favorites--she's one of the few contemporary Christian artists who has remained popular through the years and continues to put out excellent recordings.

If you're into worship music, there are MANY albums done by various groups associated with the Vineyard which are very good. Just go to the Vineyard's website http://vineyardmusic.com

Sep 22, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 26
Switchfoot. VERY Christian, very upbeat, but at teh same time, they know how to ROCK. excellent guitar, drums, and use of synths.

Songs to recommend:

1. Meant To Liive
2. This Is Your Life
3. On Fire
4. You

Jason Upton. One of the most prophetic singers ever. He knows what he's talking about WRT God and the Church (as in the whole body). Also puts out a harsh message. VERY passionate. If you like Keith Green, this guy gets compared to KG a lot for his pasison.

Songs to recommend:

1. Glory Come Down
2. One Reason
3. Dying Star (if you're Christian, this song'll freak you out in a good way).

U2. These guys are old school. they don't always sing about christianity, but when they do, they don't hide it.

Just buy any U2 album. except Zoroopa.

Chevelle. A Tool-like sound. Very rocking. Heavy guitar, good control of vocals. not just shouting 100% of the time.

1. The Red
2. Forfeit
3. Point #1

Third Day. Twangy, country-like, but a good worship band. As a friend said, a hop, skip, and jump away from country, BUT excellent music nonetheless.

BTW: I'm Christian. I listen to rock.

Sep 22, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 26
Try The Benjamin Gate from South Africa. They have been labeled a Christian Rock band. I have both their releases and they do rock and the lyrics are spritual. Their lead singer has a great female rock voice.

tbg

Sep 22, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #15 of 26
If you want something upbeat AND fun, make sure to get a few CDs by ApologetiX. They do parodies that are right up there with Weird Al. In fact, they are called the Christian Weird Al. I would highly reco the albums Biblical Graffitti, Ticked, and Grace Period to start with. They have 7 CDs, but I don't listen to one at all, one barely, and the three I listed all the time. They even parody Bruce Springstein's Nicki song. Man, It cracks me up thinking about how funny their remake of Simon & Garfunkle's Cecilia into Cornelius. Great stuff!

I would also reco: the Gaither Vocal Band's Everything Good CD, the Hawaiian Homecoming with the Gaither Friends,

For vocals: The Martins album titled Glorify, Edify, Testify. These three brothers and sister can SING like mad. Anything by Pearl Brick would be really enjoyable as she has an awesome voice, and I own both On the Other Side and Songs from the Chapel. If you want some Celtic influence Maire Brennan's album Perfect Time smacks of Enya's vocals. For a 20's swing theme I would go with The W's album the Fourth from the Last. For rock with some Chicago horn flare the OC Supertones album Hi-Fi Revival is KILLER. A capella I would reco The 7th Element.

My favorites of all time for rock are the Newsboys. I have 5 of their albums and would reco them in this order: Thrive, Take Me To Your Leader, Going Public, Love Liberty Disco, and the Step Up to the Microphone. These guys are VERY talented and often funny, but have some real depth to their message. dc Talk's Supernatural is another MUST HAVE in any collection as it is simply stunning it is so well done. Track 3 is my favorite. Nice test for soundstaging and imaging.

That would be a good beginning. If you want any other suggestions just PM of post another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back