suggestions for the digital out to connect the Benchmark DAC1?
Dec 31, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by clackman
Free shipping to China? And will they be glad to mark the box as a gift to me or with low price to help avoid the 17% custom?

I highly doubt that they'll do that. Even if they do, you would be take a huge risk of theft/ damage/ loss on an uninsured package.

Dec 31, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #17 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr
The stock external USb to S/PDIF converters will all be better than an internal card, plus you can battery power some of them. Most of the good stock ones are not in production anymore:
1) Edirol UA-5
2) Creative Audigy 2 NX
3) Waveterminal U24

These all have S/PDIF digital outputs, which are better than Toslink outputs. The Transit is excellent, but not from the Toslink output. It is available in modded forms with coax outputs.

No way can that be true. Add another link in the chain (with a power source on top!) and you will lose quality. My coax out of my Revo rocks.

Dec 31, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
I highly doubt that they'll do that. Even if they do, you would be take a huge risk of theft/ damage/ loss on an uninsured package.

mmm....That means I have to pay an extra 17% custom... That' s terrible....
Any way to solve this problem?
$975+shipping+custom=huge bugdet...

Dec 31, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by dip16amp
Depends on how it is declared.

declare as a "gift", everything would be OK.
orphsmile.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Is the quality of digital signal the same or differ a lot from those converters?
And are those digital out differ from the digital out of soundcards that value $600 or more?

These stock converters are all about the same. They suffer from the same things that transport S/PDIF outputs suffer from. A modded converter will be significantly better. You can read this to understand more:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

Jan 1, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Thanks,will Second-hand DAc1 shipping face the custom problem?

The problem wil be sound quality. The newer DAC-1's have been improved considerably over the older ones.

Jan 1, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

The Transit is excellent, but not from the Toslink output.

So basically you're saying that the toslink of the transit isn't good enough? Does it not matter with a digital signal as long as it is bitperfect?

EDIT: Wow...I think I'll keep this postcount for quite some time.
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
So basically you're saying that the toslink of the transit isn't good enough? Does it not matter with a digital signal as long as it is bitperfect?

EDIT: Wow...I think I'll keep this postcount for quite some time.
tongue.gif

Absolutely it matters. Replacing the Toslink with S/PDIF coax or AES makes a HUGE improvement. Read this article to understand why:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/nugent.htm

Jan 1, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Absolutely it matters. Replacing the Toslink with S/PDIF coax or AES makes a HUGE improvement. Read this article to understand why:

I understand what you mean, if I may quote the article: "Toslink creates additional stages that the clock must pass through, picking up jitter due to power/ground noise and uncertainty of when the edge (logic change) transitions get detected."

But I doubt that this'll make a "huge improvement" as you said. Doesn't the bel canto dac 2 eliminate jitter?

EDIT: or the benchmark dac 1 for that matter...

Jan 1, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #28 of 57
Both the BelCanto and the Dac1 use an asynchronous sample rate converter that effectively removes jitter induced side bands in their analog signals.

However, this comes at a cost. The converter chips recalculate new sample values and this process is dependent on the relative clock speed and jitter of the incoming clock.

I think the digido site describes this as translating jitter into broadband noise. In any case there is a chance that the source makes a difference.

There are DACs in the same price range that use a synchronous dejittering algorithm might not have these shortcomings. Have a look at the Mini-Dac from Apogee and the Lavry Black.

Cheers

Thomas

Jan 2, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

The Stereophile article on the RME Digi96/8 card measured 248 ps jitter on the toslink output and 686 ps jitter on the 75 ohm coax output. They considered the 686 ps jitter of the coax as "still-good" but the toslink can be better.

Jitter measurements on the Transit toslink compared to a modified coax output of it would be needed to see what the difference is and if a huge difference is believable.

The jitter measurements in the Benchmark manual on the DAC1 shows no jitter induced noise from even large amounts (2075 ns) of jitter input to it. Even if toslink or coax has more jitter, it would not make any difference to the DAC1. Again, it would take jitter measurements to show if noise increase from jitter is occurring and that their measurements are wrong. Can their jitter free claim be proven false?

Jan 2, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #30 of 57
Benchmark is just using a AD1896 chip so you can read up everything about the performance of this resampler in the data sheet.

To my knowledge the jitter removal with this chip works really well if you implement a stable local clock which the DAC1 has.

However my point was not about jitter. In the process of removing jitter these chips actually modify the data that is being send to them. The more clock skew and jitter the more modifications. The algorithm turns jitter into digital broadband noise. Basically every time you play a song a different set of samples is actually being converted by the actual DAC chips.

I am not making any statements whether you can hear any of that I am just explaining how I understand the digital section of these DACs work.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back