suggestions for the digital out to connect the Benchmark DAC1?
Dec 30, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 57
I've heard of people being very successful using the M-Audio Transit's optical output with the DAC1. I use the Transit's optical out, although not with the DAC1 so I can't give any personal experience.

Dec 30, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 57
The stock external USb to S/PDIF converters will all be better than an internal card, plus you can battery power some of them. Most of the good stock ones are not in production anymore:
1) Edirol UA-5
2) Creative Audigy 2 NX
3) Waveterminal U24

These all have S/PDIF digital outputs, which are better than Toslink outputs. The Transit is excellent, but not from the Toslink output. It is available in modded forms with coax outputs.

Dec 31, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr
The stock external USb to S/PDIF converters will all be better than an internal card, plus you can battery power some of them. Most of the good stock ones are not in production anymore:
1) Edirol UA-5
2) Creative Audigy 2 NX
3) Waveterminal U24

These all have S/PDIF digital outputs, which are better than Toslink outputs. The Transit is excellent, but not from the Toslink output. It is available in modded forms with coax outputs.

Is the quality of digital signal the same or differ a lot from those converters?
And are those digital out differ from the digital out of soundcards that value $600 or more?

Dec 31, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by dip16amp
I use the RME Digi96/8 PAD with an AES XLR cable to the DAC1 XLR input which works great.

Is there any pure digital out interface? priced reasonably.

Dec 31, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

I use the RME Digi96/8 PAD with an AES XLR cable to the DAC1 XLR input which works great.

And I'm using my laptop, so PCI interface can not be taken into account

Dec 31, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 57
I use the Sonica bit perfect drivers without any problems on the laptop.
I mostly use the PC with RME Digi96/8 PAD and AES XLR balanced digital output to the DAC1. Then I use the DAC1 balanced outputs in my balanced dynahi amp and balanced RS-1 headphones. I like the speed, detail, and power. Also has very good bass slam.
If I use the SR-225 out of the DAC1 headphone output, the speed and detail are good, just not as much power and bass slam.

Dec 31, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

I use the Sonica bit perfect drivers without any problems on the laptop.
I mostly use the PC with RME Digi96/8 PAD and AES XLR balanced digital output to the DAC1. Then I use the DAC1 balanced outputs in my balanced dynahi amp and balanced RS-1 headphones. I like the speed, detail, and power. Also has very good bass slam.
If I use the SR-225 out of the DAC1 headphone output, the speed and detail are good, just not as much power and bass slam.

I will use ER4B to connect DAC1 without an amp. DAC1 has itself a quite goood amp,doesn't it?

Dec 31, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by clackman
I will use ER4B to connect DAC1 without an amp. DAC1 has itself a quite goood amp,doesn't it?

It should drive those pretty good but I have not tryed them.

Dec 31, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

It should drive those pretty good but I have not tryed them.

Can u tell me
Where can I get the lowest priced DAC1? silver version should be better?

Dec 31, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by clackman
Can u tell me
Where can I get the lowest priced DAC1? silver version should be better?

If you call audioadvisor.com or sweetwater.com for a new one, you should be able to get at least $50 off and also get free shipping. Both have a toll free number.
If you buy used, you can buy the silver front plate and knob for $75 from benchmark.

Dec 31, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

If you call audioadvisor.com or sweetwater.com for a new one, you should be able to get at least $50 off and also get free shipping. Both have a toll free number.
If you buy used, you can buy the silver front plate and knob for $75 from benchmark.

Free shipping to China? And will they be glad to mark the box as a gift to me or with low price to help avoid the 17% custom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back