Suggestions for sub-$40 IEM. I've read a bunch of the posts here and here's what I've gathered.
Jul 11, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #16 of 26
|joker|, thank you so very much for the thorough help you've provided! I really felt welcome by your response to some of my noob questions
biggrin.gif
I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of buying ADDIEMs from ebay, after just a little more investigating on the cable noise [I read many reviews that indicated that the ADDIEMs could be rendered unusable if one moved while listening, and I don't know how much of that is internet hyperbole].

The Lenntek seems very cool, especially due to the angled plug! I've heard good things about the V-Modas[which these are allegedly similar to], and I might end up buying this later in the month if I run into more money...

koven, alas, I don't have too much money at the moment, but how much of an increase of quality would it be to say the NE-7M? I could hold off, but I'm unsure of how much better they would be.

bixby, maybe you can help me with my question about cable noise/build quality. Do you find it to be a big issue, or should I just put it out of mind?

bba1973, thanks for the advice on the amp, I may consider that down the road.

To everyone: the biggest complaint about the UHP336 was the protrusion from the ear. bba1973 said that if you wear it like so then it's not really an issue. The image suggests the same. Should I reconsider not getting these, or is the ADDIEM SQ better anyways?

Hopefully I'll make a decision tomorrow, thanks again for everyone being so patient with me!

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #17 of 26
I would stay away from the V-Moda Bass Freq, unless you want a lot of bloated bass, the Philips SHE9500 is better IMO, similar bass quantity but better mids and much better treble with a lot more detail throughout. And using something to extend how far the tips protrude really improves the soundstage for me (planning on posting pics when I get a chance).

The big drawback to the NE-7 for me is the lack of front to back headstage, where the 200v (were on sale for $25 on Amazon) and ADDIEM beat it handily. The stage is wide though.

The Sony tips are a good compliment to the ADDIEM or NE-7, however the NE-7 stock tips work well for me.

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would stay away from the V-Moda Bass Freq.

Who said anything about the Bass Freqs? They suck horribly IMO. I compared the Sonix to the original Vibes, which are quite decent earphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
|joker|, thank you so very much for the thorough help you've provided! I really felt welcome by your response to some of my noob questions
biggrin.gif
I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of buying ADDIEMs from ebay, after just a little more investigating on the cable noise [I read many reviews that indicated that the ADDIEMs could be rendered unusable if one moved while listening, and I don't know how much of that is internet hyperbole].

I think the majority of people on sites like amazon and cnet don't actually know how to wear IEMs propely. Almost all IEMs should be worn over-the-ear like the UHP336 in your pic. Some are designed that way (PL30s, Nuforce Ne-8, Phonak PFEs, etc.) and some can be worn either up or down by design (Etys, ADDIEMs, Nuforce NE-7M, etc.), but unless you're completely stationary, wearing them over-ear is a must. If you have trouble keeping the cord in place, some silicone cable guides ($8 shipped from Phonak) can work wonders. A shirt clip can be further used to secure the cord in place and prevent its motion.

Maybe I'm just really biased against the UHP336 (I'm not alone in this), but they still stick out a lot unless you have really deep ear canals. That picture's angle is deceiving.

20050503_0006Small.jpg

I think I'll stop promoting the ADDIEMs now and let others have a go
o2smile.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #19 of 26
Okay, I think I've been thoroughly convinced by |joker| and average_joe about the ADDIEMs. Thank you both for your thorough help!

Thanks also to everyone who posted, especially bba1973[i appreciated your opinion on my initial favorite, the altec lansings] and bixby, I'll definitely be looking into amps in the future.

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #20 of 26
The cable on the addiems is definitely microphonic but is not so bad if you either run it down your shirt when active or use some sort of guide to wear behind ears. I used to do the over the ears style when biking but the cable kept popping out so I went with wearing down the shirt. It is still my go to iem for active use if that says anything.

Build quality? As good as most IMHO.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #21 of 26
On the topic of mircophonics, I would say RE-02 is horrible in that aspect. They sound great when I'm not moving though........

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I think I've been thoroughly convinced by |joker| and average_joe about the ADDIEMs. Thank you both for your thorough help!

Thanks also to everyone who posted, especially bba1973[i appreciated your opinion on my initial favorite, the altec lansings] and bixby, I'll definitely be looking into amps in the future.

Ah, my work here is done
wink.gif
. Let us know how you like them.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #23 of 26
Sorry, I've got mine in a different way than what you guys have posted. If you were to look at them while I had them in, the Altec Lansing writing on the side would be visible. Instead of curving out like what has been posted, they curve in. I had to switch the L and R monitors/buds to achieve this.

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #24 of 26
Ok guys, I have to thank you all for pointing toward this great value.
I have to admit that I was feeling something best classified as premature buyer's remorse as I read all these great reviews about the NE-7M, wishing I had just an extra $10 to spend. However, after getting these in the mail this morning and instantly putting them to the test against some of my favorite my music, I am very, very satisfied with my purchase.

First of all, it's pretty hard to convince people to buy from eBay, especially first time buyers [as I've been trying to do with a lot of my friends after receiving these IEMs]. I bought from 'lovesuck', who was recommended by |joker|, and the transaction couldn't have been better. It took a little longer than I expected [ordered on saturday, got it on thursday, Oakland to Los Angeles], but the product was in beautiful condition. I was going to take pictures, but really they would be redundant as there are numerous pictures of *mint* condition ADDIEMs.

Regarding the build quality, I was at first skeptical, of their resilience, and I still am, to a certain degree. The straight jack is the same as any pair of Apple headphones, and is the place that the pair I used to listen to started to break first. The carrying case that comes with these will help, but I'm going to take extra care of the jack on these.

The microphonics are prevalent on these earphones if worn "correctly", to use the mic. As I have a 1G iPod Touch, I wear them as many have recommended, around the ear [Note: this will make them uncomfortable to wear lying on one side or another. In this case I would probably wear them normally, as I won't be doing as much moving around]. Admittedly, they look rather silly, but it'll help you if you feel awkward about wearing something meant to look cool. I've worn my PPs in public and don't mind looking awkward, as long as my ears are happy!

As for the sound quality, a lot has been said about its balanced sound, and I can't disagree with that. My other headphones are the Koss Portapros, which I love, but have recently gotten really bothersome when I sleep with them. The PPs have spoiled me, and I'm a borderline bass head, but when I put on the ADDIEM, I'm not missing the "lack" bass. It's a very measured sound all around, with fairly flat mids, so I can pick out the bass and follow basslines on the famous So What - Miles Davis. It would definitely help out if you had an EQ on your DAP, and it may be necessary in noisy situations. However, So What is an example of a pretty quiet recording. On tracks like Machine Gun - Portishead, any Massive Attack, Backyard Betty - Spank Rock, and tracks by Flashbulb, you won't be missing any of those bass beats. These perform well in a lot of the other genres of music I listen to, but they've been discussed elsewhere.

A lot of the virtues of these earphones have been enumerated on this lengthy thread. One thing I noticed that some listed as a con was it's cold/clinical sound. I was confused about what this meant, at first. I guess it means that every instrument can be picked out and sounds don't mix as well [?]. Whatever the case may be, I like that quality in headphones, although I can't say I have heard any other set where that isn't the case.

All in all, I would recommend these wholeheartedly to someone who isn't a true basshead and is careful with his/her headphones. I can't speak for the NE-7Ms, but in the $30 category, I have a feeling these would be hard to beat.

Some useful links for those who come here through search [please do this, after I posted this thread I noticed that there were tons of posters who posted the same question after me, leading me to suspect that there may have been tons who posted before me. Sorry, if this was the case.]
ClieOS reviews a LOT of IEMs including the NE-7M and ADDIEM
JonathanJong reviews ADDIEM with respect to ER-6i

Thanks again to everyone who posted in this thread.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #25 of 26
Nice impressions! It's good to hear that you're enjoying your purchase. Most people don't bother coming back and telling us how they like what they've bought.

As for the Cold/Clinical "con" you mentioned - this is a matter of preference, and the ADDIEMs aren't even that cold - you should try some Etymotics! I, for one, am a fan of analytical sound and have several earphones that belong to the Cold/Clinical club (Ety Er6i, RE2, RE0). If you find youself liking this sort of sound signature, your future upgrade path becomes much more clear.

Anyway, enjoy you ADDIEMs, and I really hope people researching the same subject stumble on this thread before posting - you've made it really easy for someone to follow your researching/decision-making process to (hopefully) make their own easier.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #26 of 26
Thanks for coming back and posting your thoughts. If you had the extra $10, you would have been very satisfied also IMO, but for some different reasons. The NE-7M was my first head-fi purchase and I was wowed. There are some real gems out there, things to look forward to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back