Suggestions for sub-$40 IEM. I've read a bunch of the posts here and here's what I've gathered.
Jul 10, 2009 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

iPoodz

100+ Head-Fier
I've spent the better part of the week searching for nice sub-$40 IEMs that will hopefully isolate noise on the scale of an airplane. I found that my PortaPros, being open ear, required me to pump up my iPod to around 80% to get any detail [on a plane. in my quiet room, they are beautiful], and that this would be horrible for my hearing.

I've tried to use cnet, amazon, and head-fi to find the IEM with the best overall sound (although I know that bass power is lacking in all IEMs, if you could recommend one which does this particularly well, I would be grateful), and customer service. I'm kind of weary of RE2, SoundMagic [recommended in various threads here] because (1) I haven't read anything about their customer service, and (2) they aren't on amazon, which I know has amazing customer service.

That being said, I found that the ones I'm leaning toward are the:
Altec Lansing UHP326 - $35 shipped
Altec Lansing UHP336 - $40 shipped

What appealed to me was the isolation and build quality, the 326 has a ropelike cord and the 336 has thick plastic, I think.

I would love to hear any input from people who have used these, the pros/cons, which has less microphonics, or which is just better to buy.

Or, am I headed in the wrong direction with limiting myself to the subset I described above?

Sorry for this lengthy post, but I'd really like to get this purchase right.
Thanks to all who respond, I appreciate any and all input!

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 26
I've got the UHP336's, and I love them (an upgrade from Sony MDR-EX55's that I gave to a friend). Much better than my previous IEMs, but they could use some more bass. They get much better after about 30 or so hours of burn-in. Still an insanely great value for the price. They sound noticeably better with my cmoy amp, but that's for another thread.

I have not heard the 326's, so I can't comment on them.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah thanks! How do you find the noise isolation/microphonics [or whatever the word is for the noise you hear in the phones when the cord gets touched]?

I, too, bought the UHP336 back when they were $34.99. They just weren't to my liking. They are too sensetive for $30 earphones (they hiss a lot with the lineout on my netbook, for example). I also had issues with comfort (they are way too big) and microphonics.

Why not go for the ADDIEMs or the RE2s?

FYI Head-Direct (makers of RE2) has incredible customer service, far better than amazon. They have their own subforum here, you can check out the feedback there.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Ah thanks! How do you find the noise isolation/microphonics [or whatever the word is for the noise you hear in the phones when the cord gets touched]?

Isolation is decent, but I've never used them on an airplane or anything with a continuous noise lke that. Voices are blocked out pretty well. There's no static when I touch the cord or move around with them, but when I bump into them, I can hear some noise (not static, but tapping-like noise). Once I found a good fit, they became very comfortable.

Quote:

I, too, bought the UHP336 back when they were $34.99. They just weren't to my liking. They are too sensetive for $30 earphones (they hiss a lot with the lineout on my netbook, for example). I also had issues with comfort (they are way too big) and microphonics.

With my biosciencegeek cmoy, the hiss is completely GONE! It's gone on my laptop (which is extremely hissy without the amp), Zune, Discman, and pretty much everything I've used it on. They are indeed sensitive, but improve tremendously with an amp. The $57 amp added at least that much value to the UHP336's. It was worth that much just for the better volume control.

Quote:

Why go for the Apples?

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With my biosciencegeek cmoy, the hiss is completely GONE! It's gone on my laptop (which is extremely hissy without the amp), Zune, Discman, and pretty much everything I've used it on. They are indeed sensitive, but improve tremendously with an amp. The $57 amp added at least that much value to the UHP336's. It was worth that much just for the better volume control.

A $57 amp slightly defeats the purpose of these being $40 earphones. And yes, the hiss is gone using a $15 Fiio E5 as well. Just saying that other headphones in the same range can be used straight out of any source with much less hiss.

Quote:

Why go for the Apples?

Why not go for the apples? They have a huge following here and they have no real flaws that I can see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't handle the form factor of the UE-made 'phones. Having them stick out of the ears that far just doesn't work for me.

Yeah, thats exactly the problem I have with them.

To the OP: For bass, you may want to see if you can find a pair of Lenntek Sonix. Costco has them on sale occasionally for $20. They have plentiful bass compared to other budget IEMs, and the build quality is great as well.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

I can't handle the form factor of the UE-made 'phones. Having them stick out of the ears that far just doesn't work for me.

They don't stick out of my ears very far at all. I'm using the "upside down" fit, and they stay in rather snug.

Quote:

A $57 amp slightly defeats the purpose of these being $40 earphones. And yes, the hiss is gone using a $15 Fiio E5 as well. Just saying that other headphones in the same range can be used straight out of any source with much less hiss.

Yes, the $57 amp is more than the $40 budget, but it adds that much more value with my experience. Never used an E5, but that's still not bad for complete hiss reduction. Unless you use an amp, you're probably going to get hiss. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case the OP bought the UHP336's and couldn't stand the hiss. It's more to carry around, but it's an affordable upgrade the OP should certainly consider.

Quote:

Why not go for the apples? They have a huge following here and they have no real flaws that I can see.

Fair enough, especially since the OP's source is an iPod.

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 26
Wow, thank you guys so much for the helpful responses!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(UHP336) are too sensetive for $30 earphones (they hiss a lot with the lineout on my netbook, for example). I also had issues with comfort (they are way too big) and microphonics.

I should have mentioned that I'm going to have these IEMs to replace my PortaPros, so I can enjoy the Pros exclusively on my laptop (which I feel is necessary because the bass power is just lacking on my iPod).

Quote:

I will look into the ADDIEMs, they seem like a great value, but I have a question about them. Why are there so many new/used items on eBay that are selling for around half the retail price? I found a few that look real, but I get the feeling like there must be a defect in them, or they are counterfeit to be sold at such a low price by individuals. Also, do you know about the build/cable quality or microphonics (these are the two features I found were griped on in cnet+amazon user reviews, but I'll take this your words, as I don't know how credible those reviews are).

I am very strongly considering the RE2s now, based on what I've researched in the last few hours. One thing that concerns me is this reviewer's statement that it's lacking some bass for electronica, jazz, and classical (most of my music). I've read similar things about the UHP336, but also read that the UHP326 are slightly better in this regard (source). Is this lack of lows common to all IEMs, due to the way they are designed?

Quote:

With my biosciencegeek cmoy, the hiss is completely GONE!

Thanks for the info about isolation. Also, where would I go about buying one of these? Ebay doesn't have it, and all the link on blogs that I've seen are broken. Also, have you found the addition of an amp to your listening rig to be a big advantage? I've read a lot of great things about them, but I can't figure out why it would make a difference.

Quote:

Ah, I'll have to take this into consideration, as one of my favorite places to listen is in bed, or lying down on my side... Maybe the UHP326, ADDIEM or RE2s are better.

Quote:

To the OP: For bass, you may want to see if you can find a pair of Lenntek Sonix. Costco has them on sale occasionally for $20. They have plentiful bass compared to other budget IEMs, and the build quality is great as well.

Ooh, I'll keep my eyes open for that one at Costco. At that price, I would get them easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ADDIEM is great for the price.. ($30-$35 on ebay)

Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x3 for the used ADDIEM.

Looks like the post about it having a following is true!
Average_joe [thank you btw, for spelling out what ADDIEM stands for, I spent a good 10 mins trying to decipher what I had read in other threads], you own the UHP336 as well, can you compare the two?

Quote:

Fair enough, especially since the OP's source is an iPod.

I'm thinking of getting a ZuneHD when it drops in Sept., will this change the usefulness of the ADDIEMs?

Thanks again for all your input, you've given me a lot of very helpful information!

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

I will look into the ADDIEMs, they seem like a great value, but I have a question about them. Why are there so many new/used items on eBay that are selling for around half the retail price? I found a few that look real, but I get the feeling like there must be a defect in them, or they are counterfeit to be sold at such a low price by individuals. Also, do you know about the build/cable quality or microphonics (these are the two features I found were griped on in cnet+amazon user reviews, but I'll take this your words, as I don't know how credible those reviews are).

The "used" ADDIEMs on ebay are actually new. There are sellers that are known on head-fi for selling the real deal. Off the top of my head, 7dime and lovesuck sell genuine ADDIEMs at reasonable prices. ADDIEM build quality is fine AFAIK. I don't own a pair yet and have only listened to them briefly.

Quote:

I am very strongly considering the RE2s now, based on what I've researched in the last few hours. One thing that concerns me is this reviewer's statement that it's lacking some bass for electronica, jazz, and classical (most of my music). I've read similar things about the UHP336, but also read that the UHP326 are slightly better in this regard (source). Is this lack of lows common to all IEMs, due to the way they are designed?

Lack of lows is not necessarily a property of IEMs. Certain ones *really* shine in the bass department (Imo the sonix, 1st-gen V-moda vibes, and the Denon IEMS). My RE2 arent here yet, but I can say that the bass on the UHP336 was plentiful for me. I am not a basshead, however.

Quote:

Thanks for the info about isolation. Also, where would I go about buying one of these? Ebay doesn't have it, and all the link on blogs that I've seen are broken. Also, have you found the addition of an amp to your listening rig to be a big advantage? I've read a lot of great things about them, but I can't figure out why it would make a difference.

The BSG cmoy doesn't necessarily have any advantages over other cmoys. There are plenty of Cmoys on ebay. I would say hold off on purchasing an amp though, especially if you plan to get a zune, as you will lose the ability to run out of an LOD. First, get your headphones and see if you actually feel like anything is missing. Buying headphones that you know you'll want to invest further in an amp for is easily avoided at this price range.

Quote:

Ooh, I'll keep my eyes open for that one at Costco. At that price, I would get them easily.

They're available on costco's site here. I got mine a year or so ago in-store for $25 without the accessory bundle, and that was a good deal. Some places still sell them for $80-100. I really like the build quality of these, what with the nylon-wrapped cord and metal housings. There are some limited impressions of them here and a review at ABI Forums. Beware of the bass - it can be overwhelming at first
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Looks like the post about it having a following is true!
Average_joe [thank you btw, for spelling out what ADDIEM stands for, I spent a good 10 mins trying to decipher what I had read in other threads], you own the UHP336 as well, can you compare the two?

I'm thinking of getting a ZuneHD when it drops in Sept., will this change the usefulness of the ADDIEMs?

Getting a zune will not hurt ADDIEMs in the slightest. Whoever said that about the ADDIEMs complimenting your ipod was joking (or referring to the design). As for the difference between these and the UHP336 - from my limited contact with the ADDIEMs, I can say that they are more balanced, with less prevalent lows and less forward mids. They also have some surprising clarity at the $30 price. For me, they are more comfortable, too, and I certainly wouldn't dream of lying down in the UHP336s.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 26
You have lots of good suggestions here. My fave out of the Nuforce, Apple, and RE2s is the Apple. I have tried them all. Don't be afraid to try some of the $35 ones on Ebay from good sellers, they are legit. Most likely Apple returns for whatever reason and have to be sold through a "b-stock" channel. Not technically new but close enough and really good for the discount.

Both Nuforce and Head Direct are great about returns so fear not. And if you do go with the Apples, be sure and save a bit for some other tips, like Complies. The Apple does very good out of the Nano I use. But is another warm type animal with the ibasso T-4 amp. But you certainly do not need the amp to start, just gives it a bit more dynamics and smoothness in the highs as well as bass.

Let us know what you decide.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #15 of 26
About the amp, biosciencegeek is the name of the ebay seller that both makes them and sells them. Do a search by seller name, and it should come up if he has them up. Sometimes the auction (buy it now) isn't up, so he probably just makes them in his spare time. There's a few custom options (tin type, LED color, gain customization), and sometimes he has more tins available (I was able to get a standard peppermint altoids tin). If you tell him what headphones you'll be using, he can customize the gain for you. No problems with mine, but he has a good return policy in case something goes wrong. Look up some reviews when you get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back