Suggestions for new speakers...My Sad Day
Sep 20, 2009 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bh3553

New Head-Fier
Hello from the new guy,

I'm looking for some new speakers as my "friend's" dog recently decided to use my Klipsch Heresy HBR as a fire hydrant. They were pretty old anyway, so I think it's time for a new pair. However, as I am a poor grad student, I have only about $200 for a new set (bookshelf, floor standing, anything). I know there's nothing out there that can match the HBRs at that price, but does anyone have any suggestions that might suffice until I graduate and get a job that can support my needy ears?

Thanks,
Ben

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 22
The Energy CB-20 are $188 on Amazon right now. That would probably work just fine. You could find some Klipsch Heresy HBR for less than $200 if you look around.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 22
X2 for repair. There are products that remove the smell of pet urine and you should be able to get replacement parts for them.

And your friend should help with the cost. At the very least, he should scrub the speakers for you.

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 22
I see that you don't mind vintage gear.

Try for some Polk gear.

Polk Audio Monitor 5Jr, 5, 7, 10.

They all have slightly different versions, but they will all sound great. Highly recommending the 7 or 10, especially if you don't have a subwoofer, but the 5's sound great too. The 5's are more like mini-towers (MTM style). They aren't really floorstanders but they aren't bookshelves either. Just think "fat, tall mini-towers, but not towers".

Polk Audio RTA 8TL or 11TL (make sure it's the TL model). A subwoofer will be ideal with these, but they sound pretty amazing.

Also, keep your eyes open for Polk SDA 1C or 2B. The others are generally over your budget. The SDA 1C or 2B are also often over your budget, but they have a higher likelihood that they will be in your budget. If you can get the right SDA model, you will experience some amazing sound.

All these models listed from Polk Audio vintage lines should sell for anywhere between free and $200. If they are asking for more, they clearly don't know the market value. Unless they have modded something on the speakers (aka crossover or tweeters maybe).

Keep in mind that these are old speakers that people rarely know the value of. You will find them in eBay, Audiogon, craigslist, pawn shops, audio shops, or even budget stores like the Salvation Army.

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 22
Someone in my area is offering a pair of Polk Monitor 5 for $70 but in pretty great condition. Right now I've got a pair of Audioengine A2s but they are a bit too forward and edgy for my tastes, I suspect older speakers would be a tad more laid back? Would they work in a nearfield setup well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that you don't mind vintage gear.

Try for some Polk gear.

Polk Audio Monitor 5Jr, 5, 7, 10.

They all have slightly different versions, but they will all sound great. Highly recommending the 7 or 10, especially if you don't have a subwoofer, but the 5's sound great too. The 5's are more like mini-towers (MTM style). They aren't really floorstanders but they aren't bookshelves either. Just think "fat, tall mini-towers, but not towers".

Polk Audio RTA 8TL or 11TL (make sure it's the TL model). A subwoofer will be ideal with these, but they sound pretty amazing.

Also, keep your eyes open for Polk SDA 1C or 2B. The others are generally over your budget. The SDA 1C or 2B are also often over your budget, but they have a higher likelihood that they will be in your budget. If you can get the right SDA model, you will experience some amazing sound.

All these models listed from Polk Audio vintage lines should sell for anywhere between free and $200. If they are asking for more, they clearly don't know the market value. Unless they have modded something on the speakers (aka crossover or tweeters maybe).

Keep in mind that these are old speakers that people rarely know the value of. You will find them in eBay, Audiogon, craigslist, pawn shops, audio shops, or even budget stores like the Salvation Army.

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 22
I've seen Monitor 5 go for much cheaper, but at $70, you aren't going to find speakers that sound better... even at the $300~ level. Even some speakers that are more expensive may not measure up to the Monitor 5 (originally retailed for about $250... in the early 70's, which, if you measure with inflation, is probably around $700 or so in current times).

They are definitely more laid back than the average modern speakers. Also, depending on what tweeters are in those Monitor 5 (different tweeters used even within the same model) the highs will be sweet and smooth. Not sure how they will work in nearfield... but I guess it depends on how you listen. Even at my desktop, I listen to music while laid back in my seat... And if you have a monitor that is smaller than 24", it should be fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromantic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone in my area is offering a pair of Polk Monitor 5 for $70 but in pretty great condition. Right now I've got a pair of Audioengine A2s but they are a bit too forward and edgy for my tastes, I suspect older speakers would be a tad more laid back? Would they work in a nearfield setup well?

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 22
I don't mind haggling with places like Guitar Center but I'd feel bad doing it to the average person
normal_smile .gif
. Seller said they were silver coil tweeters, I reckon silk would be a tad better. Come to think of it, I've got a huge CRT monitor so I'd probably have to space them out a bit anyways to avoid distorting the screen. Very excited about these speakers but I may keep looking for a better deal. Thanks
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen Monitor 5 go for much cheaper, but at $70, you aren't going to find speakers that sound better... even at the $300~ level. Even some speakers that are more expensive may not measure up to the Monitor 5 (originally retailed for about $250... in the early 70's, which, if you measure with inflation, is probably around $700 or so in current times).

They are definitely more laid back than the average modern speakers. Also, depending on what tweeters are in those Monitor 5 (different tweeters used even within the same model) the highs will be sweet and smooth. Not sure how they will work in nearfield... but I guess it depends on how you listen. Even at my desktop, I listen to music while laid back in my seat... And if you have a monitor that is smaller than 24", it should be fine.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 22
damn, that's a heresy what the dog did. Was it just the wood that got nailed cuz that's fixable. If the dog tagged a driver, better shop for new ones.

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bh3553 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello from the new guy,

I'm looking for some new speakers as my "friend's" dog recently decided to use my Klipsch Heresy HBR as a fire hydrant. They were pretty old anyway, so I think it's time for a new pair. However, as I am a poor grad student, I have only about $200 for a new set (bookshelf, floor standing, anything). I know there's nothing out there that can match the HBRs at that price, but does anyone have any suggestions that might suffice until I graduate and get a job that can support my needy ears?

Thanks,
Ben

If you want to buy new, the Infinity Primus P162 bookshelf speakers from probably Crutchfield for a little less than $200 delivered is probably as good as you can do. You may do a little better by buying used.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 22
I dont know why not just replace the driver if needed, or just clean it up. Its just piss are you 12, dont worry youll live. Its not like you touch speakers, you set em a forget em. You just want new speakers dont you

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromantic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mind haggling with places like Guitar Center but I'd feel bad doing it to the average person
normal_smile .gif
. Seller said they were silver coil tweeters, I reckon silk would be a tad better. Come to think of it, I've got a huge CRT monitor so I'd probably have to space them out a bit anyways to avoid distorting the screen. Very excited about these speakers but I may keep looking for a better deal. Thanks
wink.gif

Nah, the silver coil tweets are nice too. It's just the tweets from Peerless are some of the best tweets around. I'm willing to bet you would immensely enjoy the Monitor 5 even with the silver coil tweets. Also... I highly doubt your CRT monitor is wider than my 24" LCD. Unless your CRT is also 24". So it should be fine as long as you don't stick your face into your monitor.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 22
old speakers are ok for nostalgia..but we have come a long way in speaker design since your speakers were born(the exception being Rogers/Harbeths and some QUAD designs). every polk I have heard has been god-awful...they have a real "prosumer" feel and sound..i guess ok for folks at circuit city though.

Get a pair of Paradigm Atoms and be done with it.

you wont find anything better in the budget. i promise. if you do, I promise I will buy them from you at whatever you paid + 25 bucks. thats how confident I am that you will enjoy them.

dealer locator..

http://www.paradigm.com/en/dealer_locator/paradigm.php

I dont recommend anything I don't use myself. I have a pair in my studio lounge and in my office. and believe me... ive gone through probably 20 or more pairs of speakers in that price range..the Paradigms punch well above their weight..

dead serious about buying them from you + extra. youve nothing to lose.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back