Suggestions for Level 2 Listener
Dec 4, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm not an expert on the subject but I think its safe to say that phones with high input impedance (higher ohm) pretty much need an amp. Headphones with lower input impedance are easier to drive in general but there are exceptions such as the K-701.

It is not safe to assume the ability to drive a headphone through just impedance. There are just too many variables, like sensitivity, efficiency of the drivers, varying frequency and the likes. Some low impedance headphone could just be as hard to drive as a high impedance headphone.

However, given a choice and a well-powered amp, high impedance loads are more preferable. You get maximum power transfer between your amplifying circuit and load while minimizing the transmission losses that occur in between.

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #47 of 54
Awesome, congrats he3!

Time to start shopping for a good amp, source and DAC.. I think you just jumped ahead to level 3
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #49 of 54
Have you considered upgrading your listener status to Level 3? I hear 3 is where its at.

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #50 of 54
I guess with the new HP's and some practice breaking them in I can be at 2, and then next hardware purchase (headphone amp) I can be at 3. Im looking forward to 3!

But I think its "3 is the place to be!"

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #53 of 54
Wish I could see the look on your face, or more the smile creep up on your face.
Look at you now, already at 26 posts, you'll be on the for sale/trade forum in no time.
Enjoy the journey.... all the way to Level 42.
biggrin.gif
atsmile.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back