Suggestions for Level 2 Listener
Dec 3, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #31 of 54
For giggles I just got the Fiio amp $9.99 free shipping @ Head-Direct linked from the home page.

Great reasoning smashing! A tube amp would be sweet, one tube or multi tube though? Ive seen plans for both but didnt know what the benefits of either were.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #33 of 54
Respect the almighty fiio!
biggrin.gif

I love the design of the fiio. It does make the sound a little cleaner too... Hope you like it with your IEM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd really recommend some kind of amp with the 880. Using them out of my players is just boring, and very hard on the battery life.

I updated my spreadsheet. Thanks!

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #35 of 54
It's a good idea to have an amp for HD600 too

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #37 of 54
I've never tried them but they are 25ohm so they should be ok without an amp.

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd really recommend some kind of amp with the 880. Using them out of my players is just boring, and very hard on the battery life.

x2. They sound pretty wimpy without an amp and probably won't have much more bass than you Ety. And while they can be driven by a portable amp, they are much, much better sounding out of a wall powered amp. The same holds for my HD580 which should be similar to the HD600 (which I've never heard)

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #39 of 54
So the lower the ohm the less power is needed to drive them? For some reason I was thinking the reverse.

Probably all of the headphones im interested in sound many times better with an amp. heh, but I can determine to what extent by the ohm's?

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #40 of 54
Well, I'm not an expert on the subject but I think its safe to say that phones with high input impedance (higher ohm) pretty much need an amp. Headphones with lower input impedance are easier to drive in general but there are exceptions such as the K-701.

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #41 of 54
I would say that each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't really go by impedance or any other specification nearly as much as how they sound to me.
Personally I think impedance will never tell you what kind of sound a driver is capable of producing, and that the sound is pretty much a product of the overall design of the headphone, combined with how well the amp is capable of driving it.
Some people refer to this as Synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back