Suggestions for IEMs (High end)
Jul 12, 2009 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

bI0HaZ

New Head-Fier
Hello guys.
I'm new to this place and I'm not understanding the search function or it's just not quite working for me. I was willing to just read to find what I needed but I would have had to do a fair bit of reading without the search.
So I have come here to ask what IEM I should go after. I usually listen to a lot of different types of music but I do listen to beaty music the most with my set up. I have some experience with headphones but no idea about IEMs (I used to underestimate them). Currently I have a choice of 2 Audio-Techinca headphones and use it on the move with my amp and Cowon S9. But for the odd day when I just don't have the space for all the equipment I would like a nice compact IEM to take care of my audio addiction.
Please suggest me a few pairs of great IEMs to chose from. I am not worried about the costs involved if it gives me quality. From there I will hunt the IEMs and test them out my self to feel which one best suits my ears.
Thanks

bI0HaZ

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 26
I personally love the Shure SE530's because of it's natural sound but won't recommend it to you because in order to obtain it's natural sound it has a treble roll off. I personally believe in only nuetral earphones so I recommend you the Westone UM3X or go custom and get the JH13 Pro. The Westone UM3x is a nuetral top earphone so it will play nice with any genre of music you through at it. Every other top earphone I think is colored and isn't nuetral but still has clarity and extreme detail retrieval capabilities.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 26
Ok I'll check those ones you mentioned. Including the SE530. I am interested in any high end earphone that people find amazing. If I cant decide which ones to go with, I may just have to get two. I love music and am listening to it constantly though speakers/headphones and soon, earphones. Spending money on audio is like spending money on food in my mind. It just means I have to work harder.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bI0HaZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I'll check those ones you mentioned. Including the SE530. I am interested in any high end earphone that people find amazing. If I cant decide which ones to go with, I may just have to get two. I love music and am listening to it constantly though speakers/headphones and soon, earphones. Spending money on audio is like spending money on food in my mind. It just means I have to work harder.

According to everyone on this forum every top universal earphone is worthy of amazement. According to what I've gathered so far by reading throughout this whole forum on different top earphones.

Westone UM3X - Nuetral
Shure SE530 - Treble roll off, Natural sounding. Amazing midrange.
Westone 3 - Fun sounding boosted bass and treble, recessed midrange.
Sennheiser IE8 - Amazing soundstage, BASS MONSTER!
UE TF10 Pro - Treble oriented very clear and detailed.

Once again this is my thoughts on these earphones from me gathering it up from various sources and on this forum.

Every earphone up listed up there is worth it. It all depends on your musical preference and since you listen to a wide variety I suggest you the Westone UM3X.
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 26
DJ where are you getting this? The Westone 3 is very mid oriented to my ears. I have not tried the UMX3, but to the OP, There is no such thing as a neutral headphone. What would I do in your situation? Try the earphones out. I ended up liking the TF 10 so much that I am having them turned into custom earphones. IF you are really into the music, and not the vocals, I would shut out the se530 and the westone 3. Out of the top end earphones that I have tried( se530, TF10, Westone 3, IE 8), the IE 8 has the biggest soundstage, followed by the TF10. Both are big, but the IE 8 is huge for an earphone. I also found that the IE 8 is less detailed, and had far less terble energy than the TF10, so I decided to go with the TF10. The music I listen to is Classic Rock, Techno, Prog Rock, Grunge, Trance, Reggae and folk. I hope this helps.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DJ where are you getting this? The Westone 3 is very mid oriented to my ears. I have not tried the UMX3, but to the OP, There is no such thing as a neutral headphone. What would I do in your situation? Try the earphones out. I ended up liking the TF 10 so much that I am having them turned into custom earphones. IF you are really into the music, and not the vocals, I would shut out the se530 and the westone 3. Out of the top end earphones that I have tried( se530, TF10, Westone 3, IE 8), the IE 8 has the biggest soundstage, followed by the TF10. Both are big, but the IE 8 is huge for an earphone. I also found that the IE 8 is less detailed, and had far less terble energy than the TF10, so I decided to go with the TF10. The music I listen to is Classic Rock, Techno, Prog Rock, Grunge, Trance, Reggae and folk. I hope this helps.

Mmmmm, Westone 3 mid oriented? Than you must have found the Shure SE530's mid only! J/k. I'm getting this info from what people have said on these forums.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 26
The westone 3 and the se530 have similar mids, but the westone 3 dosn't have a recessed highs like the se530. The treble energy on the westone 3 is also greater. The bass is tighter and cleaner on the 530, and IMHO a higher quality bass although both have high quality bass. The sound stage on both is terrible.

Only suggest what you have heard next time.

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

The westone 3 and the se530 have similar mids, but the westone 3 dosn't have a recessed highs like the se530. The treble energy on the westone 3 is also greater. The bass is tighter and cleaner on the 530, and IMHO a higher quality bass although both have high quality bass. The sound stage on both is terrible.

Soundstage on both terrible? Compared to the Sennheiser IE8? *Sigh* I'm hearing a lot of mixed opinions on the top universal earphones. I usually always hear that the Shure SE530's midrange beats the Westone 3 and the Westone has better treble than the Shure SE530's and bass. And then it all goes back to the saying....."Sound is subjective"
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 26
I will like to check out all of those on the list. And I also understand the importance of testing headphones/earphones before getting them. I will be in Tokyo soon, so going to Akihabara (electronics central) to check out earphones will be no problem.
Thank you both for the info.

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 26
Remember to listen to the 2 high end AT headphones, they are usually undercut here because of their price tag. Some people really love them.

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

W3 soundstage is not terrible. It's commonly regarded as top tier among IEMS as far as SS goes, including other high end ones. No, it's not as big as the IE8's, but it's still pretty good compared to most others.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #13 of 26
I would go with the Westone 3's the soundstage is a lot better than the IE8's. You are correct it is not as big as the IE8's but I could never get the IE8's to the level of sound that I want to hear even after 300 hrs. of burn-in. If you want to go to the high-end get you a pair of JH 13 Pros.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by belac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go with the Westone 3's the soundstage is a lot better than the IE8's.

W-w-what!?
eek.gif

I won't argue with you as I've never heard the 3, but way to shave go against the grain of nigh everything I've read, man!

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 26
There's a lot of strong adjectives being thrown around in this thread - by both folks who have heard the 'phones and those who haven't. I suspect the differences between the top tier 'phones are much less than the differences between the low-end and the high-end of any of the mfrs. But, I guess it wouldn't be audio without hyperbole...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back