Suggestions for IEMs (High end)
Jul 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #16 of 26
3X0, I'm not trying to go against the grain and I'm not an expert by any stretch of my imagination. I'm just giving my opinion on what I heard. I owned both at the same time and was able to compare, it wasn't off of memory. Just my opinion. Thanks!!!

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by belac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3X0, I'm not trying to go against the grain and I'm not an expert by any stretch of my imagination. I'm just giving my opinion on what I heard. I owned both at the same time and was able to compare, it wasn't off of memory. Just my opinion. Thanks!!!

I understand, but that wasn't really much of an opinion.
confused_face_2.gif
I mean, you just said the 3's soundstage was "better" (not just a little, but a lot!) than the IE 8's while confessing in the same breath that the latter had a bigger soundstage, which is actually quite confusing if you're trying to confer advice to another member. It would have been more clear if you had qualified by stating, for example, that perhaps the 3 had more air or better imaging from your experiences.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #18 of 26
I think somebody ranks here Audio_Technica ATH_CK100(universal Triple driver IEMs) are close to UE11Pro(custom IEMs $1100). So it's must be very detailed through out whole frequency spectrum and it's easy to find in Japan.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 26
Sorry I expressed my opinion which really wasn't much of an opinion. Well, now I'm confused!!!! I say buy both the IE8's and the W3's and decide for your self, that is exactly what I done and then you want have to listen to anybody but just go by what makes you happy.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by belac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I expressed my opinion which really wasn't much of an opinion. Well, now I'm confused!!!! I say buy both the IE8's and the W3's and decide for your self, that is exactly what I done and then you want have to listen to anybody but just go by what makes you happy.

I agree, but I'm still interested in knowing how you find the Westone 3's soundstage much better than that of the IE 8 (especially when the size of the latter is bigger).

I agree that the CK100 should also be tried. I have a friend in Japan getting me a pair!

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bI0HaZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello guys.
I'm new to this place and I'm not understanding the search function or it's just not quite working for me. I was willing to just read to find what I needed but I would have had to do a fair bit of reading without the search.
So I have come here to ask what IEM I should go after. I usually listen to a lot of different types of music but I do listen to beaty music the most with my set up. I have some experience with headphones but no idea about IEMs (I used to underestimate them). Currently I have a choice of 2 Audio-Techinca headphones and use it on the move with my amp and Cowon S9. But for the odd day when I just don't have the space for all the equipment I would like a nice compact IEM to take care of my audio addiction.
Please suggest me a few pairs of great IEMs to chose from. I am not worried about the costs involved if it gives me quality. From there I will hunt the IEMs and test them out my self to feel which one best suits my ears.
Thanks

bI0HaZ

hmm well you dont say if you want lots or not so much isolation or what kind of sound you want. if you want AT there is the CK10 or CK100 but both arent spoken about a lot on here as they not available so readily as others are.

at the top end its all about isolation and sound signature everything else is more or less equal. will you be using an amp?

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #22 of 26
How long were your IE8's burned in? JW because the ones I tried were burned in 200+ hours. I guess the w3 could be better than the other Top Tier IEM's in terms of sound stage, as I have only heard 4, but the TF10 and the IE8 both have a bigger and more detailed sound stage. They are the first IEM's I heard that didn't sound congested. The TF10 and the IE8 feel like listening to something other than an IEM, where as the the w3 and the se530 feel like what they are, IEMs.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm well you dont say if you want lots or not so much isolation or what kind of sound you want. if you want AT there is the CK10 or CK100 but both arent spoken about a lot on here as they not available so readily as others are.

at the top end its all about isolation and sound signature everything else is more or less equal. will you be using an amp?

I am after anything with good sound. If it is mega isolating or none at all. And it sounds as if AT has quite nice IEMs too, so I will have that on the list to listen to (I travel to and from Japan). I didn't feel there were going to be so many different suggestions when I started this but it's nice to know that there are so many opinions of how IEM should sound. I'm sure within the list of "to hear" I will fall in love with something, even if I have to walk out of the shop with 2.
And I do own an amp. If I feel those IEMs should be amped, then I will carry it with me. I am just looking forward to not be bound to carrying around the bulky headphones on the move, and would sometimes like the choice of something small packed with quality.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bI0HaZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am after anything with good sound. If it is mega isolating or none at all. And it sounds as if AT has quite nice IEMs too, so I will have that on the list to listen to (I travel to and from Japan). I didn't feel there were going to be so many different suggestions when I started this but it's nice to know that there are so many opinions of how IEM should sound. I'm sure within the list of "to hear" I will fall in love with something, even if I have to walk out of the shop with 2.
And I do own an amp. If I feel those IEMs should be amped, then I will carry it with me. I am just looking forward to not be bound to carrying around the bulky headphones on the move, and would sometimes like the choice of something small packed with quality.

in that case any of the top tier are good. they are really all just sidewas steps from each other and about song signature than anything else. my personal fav is still the mid king the se530 but here is how i would rate them

IE8 if you want bass, lots of it stunningly well done, doesnt demand an amp meh at isolation

SE530, great smooth bass but stunning mids, esily the best mids money can buy. doesnt demand an amp isolates great

Triple.fi 10 if you want lots of super crisp treble this is the one to go for but it does improve alot with an amp. isolations fine

UM3x source fussy but is a bit of everything when you get it just right, its like the above 3 got drunk and made a baby. isolations good but too source fussy.

other contenders would be ck10, ck100 ety ER4, W3, IE7, klipsch custom 3, klipsch x10, se420, RE-0. once you reach a point its just all about preference and really anything near the topish end would probably please you

def worth checking out the ck100 and ck 10 is your in japan as they will be cheaper there, might even find somewhere that will let you demo them

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #25 of 26
I've had a look at the ck100 and ck10 on their website and it looks nice. I look forward to testing them out. I'm sure I can convince someone.
I've realized now this is going to be a bit of a mission, but a good one. There are so many nice looking IEMs! Thanks for the advice guys. I hope I may even be able to input some of my thoughts on each after a good days listen.

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #26 of 26
Yeah, I agree with everyone about at least trying out the CK100, I just got a pair and been using them with the Comply T200 tips and they sound very very good imho. The Bass is solid but anemic until about the 20 hour mark. The mids are forward and the highs are detailed and clear. Also, these things love being amped, it makes a huge difference. A reasonably priced place to get em is at Akihabara Outlet Plaza(more like a warehouse
smily_headphones1.gif
)for about 31,000yen.

Cheers,

Donny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back