Suggestions for home setup.
Jun 30, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #16 of 31
Hi there. Depends a lot on the music. Mostly the Gilmore for the majority of music, especially songs with pace and ryhthym. For certain material though, especially vocals without much instrumentation, the ASL does something special. That is in OTL mode though - I prefer it a lot over transformer mode.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #17 of 31
So no matter it is the glimore lite or the x-can I won't go wrong with either of them? Also lastly do they sound better then the hornets if using the same dac?

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #18 of 31
IMHO yes about X-Can vs Gilmore. I cannot comment on the hornet though but I assume it would be better. The nice thing about the Gilmore is that you can get it for quite a bit cheaper than an X-Can, and at a later stage you can add the DPS (separate power supply). Yes, you can do the same with the X-Can by adding the X-PSU, but it is quite a bit more expensive.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO yes about X-Can vs Gilmore. I cannot comment on the hornet though but I assume it would be better. The nice thing about the Gilmore is that you can get it for quite a bit cheaper than an X-Can, and at a later stage you can add the DPS (separate power supply). Yes, you can do the same with the X-Can by adding the X-PSU, but it is quite a bit more expensive.

Better as in hornet would be better or the other way? Thanks.
confused.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #21 of 31
Humm the in-built dac in the squeezebox 3 is good enough to to power the x-can v3 so I do not need another dac like the omz right? Or would the omz make the music sound better?

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #22 of 31
Hi does anyone know that beside purchasing the gilmore lite from justin of headamp, where else can I get it? I have tried emailing him a few time but he does not seem to be responding. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by N15M0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Humm the in-built dac in the squeezebox 3 is good enough to to power the x-can v3 so I do not need another dac like the omz right? Or would the omz make the music sound better?

THe in-built DAC is quite good, and IMHO only DAC's in the 400USD and over can really beat it. But it's internal headphone amp is really, really crap, so you'll no-doubt need an amp to power your headphones.

When the time comes, you can use the SB3 as a transport by adding a good DAC (like a Lavry or a DAC1 for ex.).

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THe in-built DAC is quite good, and only DAC's in the 400USD and over can really beat it. But it's internal headphone amp is really, really crap, so you'll no-doubt need an amp to power your headphones.

When the time comes, you can use the SB3 as a transport by adding a good DAC (like a Lavry or a DAC1 for ex.).

Thanks. I am looking to pair the squeezebox with the gilmore lite or gs-1 but beside getting straight from heapamp, where else can I get them?

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by N15M0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi does anyone know that beside purchasing the gilmore lite from justin of headamp, where else can I get it? I have tried emailing him a few time but he does not seem to be responding. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Sending Justin more than one e-mail won't help you get a response faster - he's always busy, it's just the nature of his business. Patience is a virtue when it comes to dealing with the vendors who hand-make their products.
wink.gif

The FS forums are the best backup option to find a used Gilmore Lite, they pop up every now and then.

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #26 of 31
I've never listened to it, but running the HD650s balanced out of the Lavry, Apogee or Benchmark DACs is supposed to sound great and on a higher level than the Gilmore Lite I think.

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #27 of 31
I came across the Rudistor web site and seen some interesting amp like the NX-01. How would it sound when paired with the Senn hd650? Also how is the heed canamp sound with the hd650? Thanks.

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #28 of 31
Many happy users of the Gilmore Lite with Senn's.

There may be an update of the Gilmore coming soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back