Suggestions for home setup.
Jun 28, 2007 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

N15M0

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I am currently looking for suggestion for my home setup. Planning to get a amp and a DAC (preferably with usb option as I might be using it with laptop). I am planning to pair my Senn HD 650 with them. Currently I am looking at the HeadAmp GILMORE LITE HEADPHONE AMP with dedicated power supply and the Oritek Zhulao.

PS currently I am using my portable rig as my home rig as well which is pairing the HD 650 with the Hornets. Hence I am not sure whether the rig which I mention above will produce better sound compared to my portable rig. Thanks/
etysmile.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 31
Bang for the buck wise, I really like my Headroom Desktop amp with the max module, max DAC, external power supply, and stepped attenuator. This has the same internals as the Headroom Max amp at a MUCH cheaper cost. According to Headroom, they are the same amp, except for the casings. The Max DAC is AWESOME and the unit has a USB input. Cost is about $1900, which is significant, but you get everything you need for a true high-end headphone experience.

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by N15M0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi I am currently looking for suggestion for my home setup. Planning to get a amp and a DAC (preferably with usb option as I might be using it with laptop). I am planning to pair my Senn HD 650 with them. Currently I am looking at the HeadAmp GILMORE LITE HEADPHONE AMP with dedicated power supply and the Oritek Zhulao.

PS currently I am using my portable rig as my home rig as well which is pairing the HD 650 with the Hornets. Hence I am not sure whether the rig which I mention above will produce better sound compared to my portable rig. Thanks/
etysmile.gif

IMO portable rigs are overrated. DAC in any portable player don't hold a candle to a decent external DAC.

If you get a Gilmore Lite, what will be your primary source?

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 31
PPA's are said to synergize extremely well with Senns (I recommend getting one with matching STEPS power supply), and the OMZ you're already looking at is a great choice. That should be a killer mid-fi rig to get your feet wet, and if you're lucky, it might just be a rig worthy enough for you to settle down with.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PPA's are said to synergize extremely well with Senns (I recommend getting one with matching STEPS power supply), and the OMZ you're already looking at is a great choice. That should be a killer mid-fi rig to get your feet wet, and if you're lucky, it might just be a rig worthy enough for you to settle down with.

Sorry but what is PPA?
etysmile.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #14 of 31
I had the X-Can V3. It worked very well with the HD650, but make sure that the source and cables are not excessively "warm". I now have the Gilmore Lite w/DPS and it is fantastic with the HD650s - far superior to the X-Can IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back