Suggestions for headphone tube amp/dac for HD650?
Mar 8, 2010 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gugguson

Head-Fier
Hello.

I have been reading forum posts all weekend and I think I'm more confused now than before I started reading :) I will try to ask you guys for suggestions to make my search more focused.

I have Sennheiser HD650 which I hook up to my Sonos, V-Dac, Glow amp one tube amp. I really like the "warm" sound of the tube amp. I am now looking for a dac/amp combo to hook up to my MacBook pro when I'm in other rooms of my home and want to listen to music in good quality. Most of my music is in Flac and some in MP3 320b.

I listen to all kinds of music and I like warm sound and deep bass (if it's on the recording).

What I'm looking into is a combo of Dac and amp (which could also serve up as preamp later). I would mostly use it for the Sennheiser HD650 (and sometimes on Westone UM3) so I would need the tube to work on the headphone output. I would serve it with optical out (preferably) or USB on my mac. I would like the dac to be of good quality, 24 bits and better than what the macbook has.

My budget is around $300-400.

I have looked at:
Zero amp (to much DIY and doesn't look that robust) - not tube amp
Maverick (doesn't use the tube for headphone out)
HifiMan EF2 (the dac doesn't seem that strong)
Audio-gd FUN (good dac but not tube amp)

I haven't found other amps that would fit what I'm looking for. I'm thinking about having it portable (not to much hastle transfering between rooms but getting one amp with integrated dac might not be good idea or what?)

Could you guys make some suggestion on the killer amp for my needs?

Regards,
Johann

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 6
Your VDac is smallish, use that and buy a Little Dot or a WooAudio tube amp.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back