Suggestions for hd580/600 wearing comfort?
Sep 24, 2003 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
I think I may actually be alone in this... but I find the HD-580 very uncomfortable. I think mostly because my head is relatively small, and these things just engulf it. I'm constantly fiddling with the headband height and can't seem to find the right height... or my earlobe touches the foam inside one earpiece or the other (never both). Or my eyeglasses are rubbing against the pads (again, usually on one side more than the other) and it feels like they're being skewed on my head. Or the bottom of the pads press against my jugulars (arrrgh!).

Also, my ears definitely start sweating after awhile (although this isn't such a big concern to me).

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can find some long-lasting comfort with these things, without fiddling with adjustments every 30 seconds?

Sep 24, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 17
I'm speechless. I have something in common with fewtch.
eek.gif
Well, it was bound to happen someday..

I've mentioned it before, that I didn't find the HD580 very comfortable and much preferred the fit of my SR60. I was assured I was probably alone in this
tongue.gif

So yeah...I was always messing with the headband, couldn't get it to feel like the right place, and the bottom put pressure on my jugulars, etc. My ears didn't sweat much, and I don't wear glasses, but otherwise the same as for you.

Not sure what to recommend, I sold mine
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 17
We do agree 100% on this.
biggrin.gif

In fact, I found the Grado SR-60 to be quite comfortable too (with the "comfy" pads anyway). Too bad about the sound, though...
tongue.gif

I hear HD-600s calling... they're calling out, and in the distance my wallet is screaming... screaming to stop the torture...
600smile.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 17
this may be the pot calling the kettle black. but you guys are weird.
600smile.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 17
I suppose I won't tolerate the SR60s then... because I find the HD580s the most comfortable headphones I have ever used! And I was thinking about buying me Grados too ;_;

Almost like ear pillows, they never bother me at all. Also find them really cool and light.

Oh well.
confused.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 17
When wearing the HD-580 and I even open my mouth, the headphones move around! The pads are resting right on my jaws. So much for eating with these on...

Also, if I tip my head back or forward the headphones shift around. Arrrgh! I have to sit like a statue
frown.gif
. I think these cans are built for people with big heads.

P.S. what's so weird, goose?
confused.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 17
Wow, your head must be dinky!
biggrin.gif
Either that or I have a big head but I find the HD580 to be super comfortable. My ears don't sweat and they don't touch the foam inside the earpiece. After having them on for a while, they just sorta disappear until I need to push my glasses up. The ear piece of my glasses end up being pushed by the back of the cushions but it's not a big deal.

As for my SR80's, I also find them to be comfortable. The headband is bent to where the foam doesn't push too hard or too little but provides just enough pressure so that they don't fall off and also sound good. Still, they do end up hurting my ears after a while. I've got to try the senn pads...

Sep 24, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 17
I guess everyone's head is built differently. My head is on the small side (for a guy) but not "tiny," I don't think. My ear definitely touches the foam (on the left side, most of the time).

I'm gonna clip my hair tomorrow, which I think will help (less stuff for those monstrous pads to slip around on) -- also experimenting with different placements of the headband on top of my head.

This will really sound weird to most, but I definitely prefer pleather over this velvety material (at least with smaller pads... I didn't like it with the HD-280, those really gripped in the wrong places -- mafia torture device).

Sep 24, 2003 at 8:47 AM Post #9 of 17
Well my head is relatively BIG (I have trouble finding baseball caps that don't make me look like Angus Young) and I'd definitely say my HD580s are waay more comfortable than my SR60s, not saying that the Grados are super uncomfortable... but after a while they do tend to hurt a bit.

The best thing about the Senns is that not only can you adjust the length of the headband, but you can swivel the cups to a degree. I've set mine so that looking down the phones, the L and R cups are like \\([size=xx-small]myhead[/size])//, the angle is a bit exaggerated but that's the gyst of it.

Very comfortable!
580smile.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 17
I actually find just about all headphones uncomfortable in one way or another. The Senns can tend to have a bit of a "vice-grip". Some people have reported stretching theirs on a set of books - something I never tried nor recommend. Also, the additional weight of the aftermarket cables (Clou, Cardas, Equinox) tend to magnify their gripping effect. Try going back to the stock cable (not as bad as many say) and see of they are more comfortable.

Sep 26, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
The HD580 headband is metal. You can bend it gently if you are desperate for comfort.

Thanks Steve, that was one of the first things I did.

Actually, they seem a bit less uncomfortable now (not that much, but I seem to be getting used to them). I still get stuff like audible sound that seems mixed with the music when I open my mouth (jaws are right on the earpieces, and a little "thump" sound is actually heard). Most of my problem seems to be the size of the earcups and my small head, but the sound is sweet enough that I'm willing to tolerate the issue.

Sep 26, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
The HD580 headband is metal. You can bend it gently if you are desperate for comfort.

I found I had to be quite aggressive with my 600's to eliminate the vice-grip. Gently may have worked, over the course of a month, but aggressive worked in a couple days
wink.gif

-dd3mon

Sep 26, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #15 of 17
Guys,
I find the HD 580/600 some of the best sounding cans i've ever used, but the vice grip thing is verifiable fact. These cans simply aren't comfortable. I've been stretching mine on a set of books myself, with positive results. You see, Sennheiser's solution to high end comfort is not any of the 580/600/650s, but the HD 590s, which are reportedly among the comfiest cans in the world.
Cheers,
Alex Altorfer
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back