Suggestions for first headphones
Jun 15, 2005 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Gh0s7

New Head-Fier
I've decided i want to invest in some nice headphones. So i turn to you folks to suggest to someone just starting what to get. I've never owned a pair of any signifigance. MY budget is probably going to be 200-300$. I'll be using them on my pc for now, so portability isnt too important. THe main things i listen to are hard rock, classic rock, techno, and classical music. They Will also be used for gaming. With that ill leave it to you.

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 21
If you will not be using an amp you will want some headphones with low impedence.

Sennheiser:

HD555
HD595

Beyerdynamic:

DT770/80

Grado / Alessandro:

Pretty much all of them SR60, 80, 125, 225, 325...
MS1, MS2

to name a few
icon10.gif

just pick some and do a search on headfi... you will find more then you would ever want to know about the above mentioned... also you need to consider if you will need closed or open phones and if you maybe want to go the canal phone route (Shure, Etymotic, UE)

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 21
I still think the A900's from Audiocubes is a good pick. 200 dollars. It low impedence and I nice bass and high end. I prefer it to the HD 595s. It depends on what type of sound you are looking for. Any of the other good headphones are going to require an amp to power them right. I think it is a question of the 595 or A900s.

Or HD 600 and DT 880 and having to grow into them with out an amp. If you have an amp get the HD600's, HD 650's or the DT 880's.

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0s7
I've decided i want to invest in some nice headphones. So i turn to you folks to suggest to someone just starting what to get. I've never owned a pair of any signifigance. MY budget is probably going to be 200-300$. I'll be using them on my pc for now, so portability isnt too important. THe main things i listen to are hard rock, classic rock, techno, and classical music. They Will also be used for gaming. With that ill leave it to you.

Do you want open or closed phones?

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 21
Im not sure on open or closed. Probably open though. Also bass is important to me. And id like some with some good impact probably. Also i would be interested in getting an amp. How much is a descent but no to expensive one goign to run me?

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0s7
Im not sure on open or closed. Probably open though. Also bass is important to me. And id like some with some good impact probably. Also i would be interested in getting an amp. How much is a descent but no to expensive one goign to run me?

I'd go for the Grado SR-225. They'll sound good unamped, too. As for an amp, you can get a decent one for $60.00 and the sky's the limit. Or you can build your own, which opens a whole other can of worms.
eek.gif
For amp suggestions, head on over to the amp forum where there's a wealth of information.

You've got a lot of great options for phones in your price range.

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 21
Well, let me be the first to say...Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry About Your Wallet!

Now, on to business. What is your source? Will you be using these mostly at home or will they need to double as portables. What types of music do you listen to (and none of this "I listen to a little bit of everything" crap
icon10.gif
)?

eggosmile.gif

Jun 15, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 21
Add the KSC75 to your search. Dont let the $15 price fool you. They out perform many $100 full sized cans when used with a cmoy.

Garrett

Jun 15, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Well, let me be the first to say...Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry About Your Wallet!

Now, on to business. What is your source? Will you be using these mostly at home or will they need to double as portables. What types of music do you listen to (and none of this "I listen to a little bit of everything" crap
icon10.gif
)?

eggosmile.gif

"I'll be using them on my pc for now, so portability isnt too important. THe main things i listen to are hard rock, classic rock, techno, and classical music. They Will also be used for gaming. With that ill leave it to you." says Gh0s7

Jun 15, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Add the KSC75 to your search. Dont let the $15 price fool you. They out perform many $100 full sized cans when used with a cmoy.

Garrett

And don't forget to add a 75 ohm adapter to really make 'em shine!
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
"I'll be using them on my pc for now, so portability isnt too important. THe main things i listen to are hard rock, classic rock, techno, and classical music. They Will also be used for gaming. With that ill leave it to you." says Gh0s7

Hmmm, I guess the old short term memory is failing me agai.................I'm sorry, what were we talkin about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back