Suggestions for at-work headphones
Aug 27, 2009 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

matt_garman

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a set of headphones to use at work. I work in a small office of about 10 people, with an open seating plan (i.e. no cubes or offices). It's generally fairly quiet, except for people occasionally talking. But I have a colleague whose typing is extraordinarily loud and erratic, which grates on my nerves (I think I'm naturally over-sensitive to background noises like these).

I'm thinking maybe a pair of passive noise-canceling/noise-reducing headphones would best suit me, but this is kind of a random guess.

For reference, I currently have a pair of Grado SR-80 headphones. Sound-wise they are fine (but note that I've always used them in an office setting, i.e. with some amount of background noise, so I'm sure I've never experienced their full potential). But for this work environment, they fail for me because the "donut" pads don't block out any background noise. When I'm trying to listen to music, my neighbor's clankity-clankity-clankity keyboard acrobatics come through loud and clear. Also, after extended periods of listening, I don't find them particularly comfortable as the foam pads aren't deep enough, and the actual speakers hit against my ears.

I have an external hard drive with all my music in FLAC format. I just use the built-in sound card on my computer (don't know what it is, presumably something cheap). I don't have any fancy sound configuration (e.g. ASIO) either.

My musical tastes are somewhat varied, pretty much anything but hip-hop. I'd say classic rock and metal dominate my playlists.

I'd like to spend less than $150. I don't need "the best" or anything like that. Given that this is a work environment, I can't really sit back, close my eyes, and get lost in the music.
smily_headphones1.gif
I really just want to drown out my obnoxious neighbor and enjoy some tunes.

One caveat though: the headphones can't be too good at blocking background noise. I have to be able to hear when somebody calls my name. I have a pair of Etymotic Research ER6 in-ear headphones that I use on the train and at the gym. These actually block too much sound to be used at work. I know this is basically a contradictory requirement, but I'm hoping there's a middle ground that allows me to block out the noise from my neighbor (and maintain my sanity) while at the same time being able to hear when people address me.

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers!

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 14
x2 for this query. I'm always on the lookout for a new set of cans that meets the above requirements. Mind you, I do love hip-hop as well.
redface.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 14
Cheapest option are the JVC HA-RX700's. They almost have a cult following here and there is no shortage on info about those. The RX900's are a little more but I've seen quite a few ppl mention that they prefer the 700's to the 900's. These are huge however.

Next in line would be Audio Technica A700. These are pretty big as well, very comfortable. Has a nice clean crisp sound, but slightly honky mids characteristic of closed headphones.

The AT M50 is step higher, competing with the likes of Shure 840, in the 150-200$ price range (although several ppl seem to have purchased the Shures for a lot less)

Of the lot I would say go for the Shure 840, if you cant find it in your price range, step down to the A700's. I havent heard the M50's so I cant comment on those.

The Denon D1001 is also in your price range, but frankly I think you'd be better off with any of the above mentioned HP's.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 14
Some closed cans block out a small-to-moderate amount of noise - the ones that come to mind are the Denon 1001s, Sony MDR-V6 and Eggos, and Sennheiser HD228 and HD25-1 II.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 14
Just bought a pair of AKG 271 MK IIs on amazon, and I think they might fit the bill. They cut a bit of the edge off of noise. Enough that when you are listening to music, you are unlikely to notice things like the sound of others typing. One more to consider
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 14
Welcome.

You're fooling yourself if you think you can use headphones to block your neighbor and hear others call you while listening to music at any volume. There is no middle ground. There are no headphones that can solve this for you. You must pick your poison. Since you have to hear others call you, you therefore will hear your neighbor, and you won't be able to listen to your headphones very loud. What you can do that makes sense is to get comfortable headphones that are good at not leaking sound out so as to not bother your co-workers.

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback and ideas. I was (pleasantly) surprised to find the JVC HA-RX700 phones so cheap, so I went ahead and ordered a pair. Even if all the positive commentary on them is only half-way right, they still ought to be worth $35.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're fooling yourself if you think you can use headphones to block your neighbor and hear others call you while listening to music at any volume. There is no middle ground. There are no headphones that can solve this for you. You must pick your poison. Since you have to hear others call you, you therefore will hear your neighbor, and you won't be able to listen to your headphones very loud. What you can do that makes sense is to get comfortable headphones that are good at not leaking sound out so as to not bother your co-workers.

I disagree. I figure that the sounds of peoples' voices and my neighbor's keyboarding are sonically different. Meaning, it's conceivable that there exists some kind of ear covering or plug that can block one and not the other. As evidence, I offer McMaster-Carr part number 6207T53: taper end foam earplugs. When I don't feel like listening to music, I wear these at work. For me, these block probably 98% of the keyboarding noise, but only maybe 50% of voices. So I can still hear people call for me (although, admittedly, sometimes they have to do it twice).

Years ago, I had a huge yard to mow. I always wore hearing protection, usually ear plugs. Eventually my dad got a pair of ear muffs (similar to McMaster Part 53285T9 [but not electric]) to use for mowing the lawn. The cups on these were big enough that they could actually hold the speakers from a small set of headphones. So I could block out the noise of the lawn mower and also listen to tunes. I believe I basically hacked together a primitive kind of passive noise-reducing headphones. That's basically what I had in mind with my original post.

So, I'm sure a middle ground exists, but I realize it might take some trial and error to find it. At $35, the JVC HA-RX700 are the perfect starting point!

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're fooling yourself if you think you can use headphones to block your neighbor and hear others call you while listening to music at any volume. There is no middle ground.

Actually, there is. It's way over the OP's budget, but Sennheiser's NC cans (pcx350 and 450) block out most ambient noice, but 'go easy' on human voices. I use the 450 a lot when I travel and I did notice this to be true. Of course, it wouldn't block the annoying co-worker's noise...
wink_face.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_garman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback and ideas. I was (pleasantly) surprised to find the JVC HA-RX700 phones so cheap, so I went ahead and ordered a pair.

Happy listening! If (when) you're ready for a sonic upgrade, you might want to try the Ultrasone hfi680 or 780. Great isolation, no leakage, very good sq. These have been my headphones at work until I got my ath woodies. If you don't listen at a very high volume, you'll hear people calling your name wearing these.

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, there is. It's way over the OP's budget, but Sennheiser's NC cans (pcx350 and 450) block out most ambient noice, but 'go easy' on human voices. I use the 450 a lot when I travel and I did notice this to be true. Of course, it wouldn't block the annoying co-worker's noise...
wink_face.gif

If that is the case, Audio Technica ANC7 function in the similar way to the pcx's but sound much better, plus, you can find them for 100-150.

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that is the case, Audio Technica ANC7 function in the similar way to the pcx's but sound much better, plus, you can find them for 100-150.

I suspect they do, but I found their sq less than the senns. But that's a question of personal taste I guess (although in general I clearly prefer audo-technica over sennheiser)

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kommando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 for ultrasone hfi series cans, very good isolation levels, great sound quality!

Already mentioned above
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back