Suggestions for alarm clocks?
Dec 27, 2006 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a cd/radio alarm clock that sounds decent for around $60. I saw a Sharper Image one, which looked alright, but I don't know anything about it or how it sounds. It's actually being given to me as a gift, but I get to choose it out. I can only assume the price range is around $60, because I was offered the $60 sharper image one.

So, what are my best choices for this price range?

Thanks.

Dec 27, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a cd/radio alarm clock that sounds decent for around $60. I saw a Sharper Image one, which looked alright, but I don't know anything about it or how it sounds. It's actually being given to me as a gift, but I get to choose it out. I can only assume the price range is around $60, because I was offered the $60 sharper image one.

So, what are my best choices for this price range?

Thanks.

To me an alarm clock has one function, to be loud enough to wake me and make me want to turn it off. If it doesn't do that. then it's useless. For this purpose alone, I have this.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...lty+clocks.htm

It's the single loudest, most obnoxiosly irritating alarm clock I ever heard. Wakes me even when i'm wearing earplugs.
blink.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 27
Ugh, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with that thing by my bed. It would scare me. I wouldn't need to be woken up.
biggrin.gif

I can wake up from anything, but waking up to some Sublime is enjoyable to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...) It's the single loudest, most obnoxiosly irritating alarm clock I ever heard. Wakes me even when i'm wearing earplugs.
blink.gif

Have you ever tried an old Grundig Sonoclock? Their alarm signal easily rivals a police siren... If I ever needed an army of zombies, I'd just let my old Sonoclock ring on a graveyard - I bet that would work.
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 28, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 27
I'm finding it suprisingly difficult to find a civilized alarm clock. I hated my previous one purchased because it had a low volume setting which I set to low and the next morning put out more decibels than my smoke detector! I awoke like that ->
basshead.gif

My present one has a large wonderfully low illumination LED which can't be read by day but is perfect at night. The problem is the off switch is just barely elevated and once found by feel (one of three identical buttons!), resists tooth and (literally) nail sliding into the off position. The "BEEP!-BEEP!-BEEP!" seems to cause panic in my dazed head and at the time I don't know which direction to slide the dreaded button. Naked and scared, the only thing missing to complete the experience is for a doctor to hang me upside down by the ankles and slap my butt.

All I want is a large low illumination LED, variable volume and one easy to find and depress button for off. Don't want radio. A signal other than "BEEP!-BEEP!-BEEP!" would be a bonus. Why not a range of wake up sounds? I'd pay $200 for a civilized alarm clock.

Dec 28, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 27
I've been using Sony's Dream Machines for years now. The alarm is enough to wake anyone up (if it can wake me up, it's effective) but gentle in execution - just a simple beebeebeebeep - and allows for a double alarm. I usually set music to come on 30 minutes before the do-or-die alarm.

Dec 28, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 27
I heard this story when I was in college numerous times, someone just happened to have this alarm clock that's loud enough for everyone in the dormitory, so whenever he goes out in the morning without turning it off the alarm can be heard almost everywhere in the building.

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 27
I was looking at some Sony's, however I'm not sure yet. I wake up within seconds of my alarm clock going off. Extremely loud ones aren't very necessary in my case.
biggrin.gif

I was eyeing this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Dream-Mac...&s=electronics

Hopefully I can find it a bit cheaper, but who knows.
*edit*
The Sonystyle store has it for $10 cheaper with free shipping. That's odd, but definitely helpful.
biggrin.gif

Link
Or this maybe?

Dec 28, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 27
I got myself one of those light ones, where it simulates dawn by getting brighter, before waking you up with a moderate noise, which usually isn;t needed, due to you being awake anyway.

Couldn't find the one I bought (fly by night company it seems), but there's one from phillips reviewed here http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadge...ity-205415.php, and there are many other options. They genuinely do work, especially in the depths of winter, when leaving the bed is a trauma.

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 27
I saw that Hammacher Schlemmer one, but I don't really get how it works exactly. It starts the process 30 minutes before the alarm goes off? What if I wake up before my desired time? That wouldn't make me a very happy camper.
biggrin.gif
I'll look for some reviews on it. It seems like a cool idea.

People seem to really like it. This is definitely a possibility. Thanks Vagabond for sending me the link.
And then of course there's the one guy who thinks it's awful.
Link

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 27
With my light one, you tend to wake up about 5 minutes before the time suggested, but because it's not a shock, you wake up fresh and ready to get up. Not sure about the air freshener thing though.

Dec 28, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They genuinely do work, especially in the depths of winter, when leaving the bed is a trauma.

So does it turn up the heating, too?
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #15 of 27
...I have used a Pioneer Digital Timer, which turns on a light. A battery-powered beeper-clock is set for ten minutes later, in case of a power interruption. What I really want is a motorized bed which would set me up onto my feet at the proper time. My only gripe is that good sleep is so elusive...

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back