Suggestions for a vintage receiver
May 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #31 of 73
Quote:
Backing away...slowly.
I understand the requirement for a certain look now.
For under a thousand,I had to try move you to a sound different from the receivers.
I have a Marantz 2285 Receiver,runs bookshelf speakers like a champ,has a very good Headphone Out.
Mint,with wood case was around $600.
In Europe,it is easier to source a Marantz with a Black Faceplate-quite desirable over here.
You certainly will have a smile if you leash it to those Pioneer speakers,all the best with the decor...keep it in the '70's
P.S. a hidden receiver gem that can still be had as an outstanding bargain is the Harman Kardon 330/630/930 series-70's era.
Don't let the low watts fool you,wire these to some Klipsch horn speakers (or Dynaco A25's) and get happy.
The H/K receiver (630/930 were twin power design) can out class a comparable Marantz at times for a lot less money but are not as flashy looking.

You're sure that 2285 sounds good enough for you? Else I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a nice price.  :wink:

May 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #32 of 73
You're sure that 2285 sounds good enough for you?

It absolutely does sound good.
I use the tuner section of it,going from the Tape Out into a Sansui CA 2000/BA 2000 set driving a pair of JBL L112 speakers.
The signal from a local radio station was so rich,I had a girlfriend exclaim:
"what is THAT sound ?"
"it is a 1977 Marantz Receiver..."
"I've got to say,that does sound good,you wouldn't know it was the radio"
Comments from people that generally do not care about sound quality are the ones I really enjoy.

Again,if I had to make a choice based on that one thousand bucks for a complete vintage set up (including speakers),I would hunt down a Sansui AU 7900 Amp and stack the matching TU 7900 Tuner (with the cool blue light) on top for almost the same cost as a comparable receiver at current market prices.
The golden age Sansui match particularly well with similar era JBL speakers.

Unless a Model 2285 Marantz falls your way for a good price,just be prepared to wait because I still use mine...

May 12, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #33 of 73
The Pioneer SX600L and SX700L are the cheapest of the excellent receivers I know about. The amp only versions of these are highly sought after, but the receiver versions seems to have slipped under the radar.

Of course if money is no object, start looking for the Pioneer SX range above 1000. I saw a SX-3800 HERE. If that was in Europe I would snap it up right away. I have heard all of them when I was a sales assistant in the 80's and the SX-3800 was the emperor amongst kings.

May 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #34 of 73
I saw a SX-3800 HERE

Heh,funny you came across that listing.
If you look at the sellers other items you will see there is a lot of NOS stuff,the best piece leftover is an Accuphase E202 Integrated Amplifier.
They got hold of a former stereo shop owners hoard of old stock,from what I gather.
A whole warehouse of mainly mid fi gear,mostly late 1980's and early 1990's
Not quite vintage for top buck in Oshawa,ON about an hour east of where I'm at.
They removed the "tour of the warehouse" video from YouTube but still have a channel named vintagestereos.
At least you'll get everything included except the full warranty.
After sitting for so long without the switches being cycled or powered up,a full service would still be in the cards.

May 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #36 of 73
Hmm, sweet that Accuphase, is it from the
70ies?

Yes,it had a good run from 1974-1978+
Top tier piece of kit,you would soon forget there was no built in tuner...
One of the best integrated amplifiers from that time,nice ones still fetch the MSRP of $800.

If you look at the 1977 Kenwood KA 9100 Integrated you will see familiarities that are part of the connection with Accuphase in the earlier years.
A beautiful example sold here for $600 not so long ago.
Inform your wife an integrated stack has a smaller footprint than a receiver...

May 12, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #38 of 73
You should also look for a Pioneer SX-5590. This was the European version of the SX-1250. Black face, and multi-voltage. Otherwise identical to the highly regarded 1250.

May 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #39 of 73
Nice one as well, thanks! None on eBay at the moment over here I see.

So, no love for the PM-14 MkII KI?
A little less vintage but oh so beautiful. And I heard those about 5 or 6 years ago, quite good I must say.
Problem is I need to decide fast on that one.

DSC00070Large.jpg

DSC00064Large.jpg

May 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #40 of 73
The Accuphase is 110V though.

They are available,albeit rare,in world voltage: 100/120/220/240 Volts

Take your time,let the nicest vintage piece find you,it will happen like a first love!

Thumbs up on that Pioneer SX-5590,hard to find that blackface over here,it's one I've always admired.

Here is a Euro 1977 Sansui 890 rare blackface receiver currently for sale:890
Like most web vendors,it's top dollar plus but with a faux wood case,sure is pretty looking...
There are something like seven Sansui black euro models.

I find the Sansui G 871db,even with its mix of digital and analog,to be easy on the eyes too.
Have a look:G871db
Finally,a Sansui 990 that has all the vintage appeal you could ever want:

May 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #41 of 73
As far as bang-for-the-buck, the mid-fi brothers of the TOTL behemoths might be the best bets. My 2245 Marantz is fairly quaint at 45wpc compared to the 75/85w beasts at the top of the line, but it certainly never leaves me wanting for power, even with my fairly inefficient Technics speakers. I would probably go deaf before it ran out of juice.

Marantz models, in general, are seen to be more warm sounding than Pioneer models, and Yamaha models are usually said to be slightly to the bright side of neutral.

May 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #42 of 73
Yeah, a Sansui 990, which is the Euro/multi-voltage version of the 9090DB, would also be a terrific choice.

May 13, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #43 of 73
To reply to 5aces, Mavericmonk and Skylab.

Great info guys, thank you!
I am a bit of a Marantz fanboy but your comments on the vintage Marantz sound and the pics of the glossy black Sansui are beginning to change my opinion.
I also decided to forget about the PM-14MKII KI, not vintage enough.

According to the general sound descriptions of the brands you just gave me the Pioneer sound is what would appeal most to me.
BUT ... what would be the sound signature of a Sansui? That I would really like to know.

For now what I have found is: (230V)
- A Marantz 2330 I am bidding on
- A Marantz 2270 at 900 USD or CAD, not sure.
- The Sansui 890 for 799 USD
- And is that Sansui 990 you showed me a pic of available for sale anywhere?

Really getting iterested in those Sansui models. Or maybe a Pioneer?

May 13, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #44 of 73
I have a Marantz 2285 and love it. Either of those would be great.

May 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #45 of 73
Yes, I like all 4 these options. Just wondering what a Sansui sounds like as I don't know the brand at all.
And if that 990 is for sale. :wink:

By the way, what speakers do you guys use on these things?
I am thinking of the B&W XT2 I have now, Sonys Faber Toy, Sonus Faber Minuetto or Pioneer Pure Malt speakers.

Only readily available stuff in Europe is iusefull to me and I need bookshelves. Looks are important (which is why I would sell my XT2s that look good but don't match a vintage amp) as is the sound of course.
The ideal looks would be the Tannoy Autograph Mini but I don't know how these sound and they are far too expensive. Unless someone knows of a second hand or demo pair but I haven't found any yet.

139-large-1.jpg

Quote:
[size=10pt]
Autograph Mini
PERFORMANCE
Recommended amplifier power 20 - 100 Watts
Continuous power handling 50 Watts RMS
Frequency response 68Hz - 54kHz -6dB
Sensitivity 88dB (2.83 Volts @ 1 metre)
Nominal impedance 8 Ohms
DRIVE UNITS
Dual Concentric high frequency 19mm (0.75”) titanium dome with Tulip WaveGuide™
Dual Concentric low frequency 100mm (4.00”) treated paper pulp cone with rubber surround. 33mm (1.33”) edge wound voice coil
Dispersion 90 degrees conical
CROSSOVER
Frequency 2.3kHz
Type Passive low loss 2nd order compensated LF, 1st order compensated HF
CONSTRUCTION
Enclosure type Rear ported
Volume 3.5L (213.5 cu.ins”)
Dimensions 345 x 210 x 130mm
(13.50 x 8.25 x 5.00”)
Weight 4.0kg (8.8 lbs)
Finish Teak veneer with solid teak trim detail

[/size]