Suggestions for a HP which has a nice thick punchy sound?
Jun 4, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #16 of 39
I do recall the Sony MDR-Z1R having excellent body and dynamics but it's been a while since I heard a pair. I have heard some closed biodyna Fostex's a few times they have a lot of dynamic body. I've been told the TH909 is like a better Tesla Beyer but never had the chance to hear one. Focals may work, but I'm personally not a huge fan mainly due to their slightly metallic timbre, but I haven't heard the newer models. No idea on some of the other new releases such as the Meze 109, etc. There are some cheaper options with great body and solidity with a nice thick punchy sound such as the Cal.1H, but I don't think it will be an improvement in terms of soundstage over the DT 1990.

you piqued my interest in the Fostex TH909. Even though it’s expensive it might be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Jun 4, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #17 of 39
The Amiron Home has a more intimate soundstage than the dt1990 though still as big as the dt1990. The dt1990 seperates every instrument and is very analytical, the Amiron brings everything together. The Amiron has more warmth and is thicker sounding than the dt1990(balanced) though.

The dt990 has less warmth than the Amiron and the dt1990B and is dryer sounding with an excellent soundstage. It needs some EQ in the treble eventually. But it's an underestimated headphone. It's a HD600 with more bass and treble and Beyer mids if you like. I'd take it over the Fostex TH909 with it's shouty colored midrange. The Fostex has more emphasis on detail and it has a pleasant soundstage but the cost in tonality is too high. For my tastes.

dt880 with some EQ in the bass.

HD800S with EQ in the Bass.

HD600 plus EQ in Bass and eventually treble increases the soundstage and helps with slam.

Using EQ would be my general recommendation.

Beyer slam and midrange is special once you get used to it, I've become quite a fan in the recent years,

Jun 4, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #18 of 39
The Amiron Home has a more intimate soundstage than the dt1990 though still as big as the dt1990. The dt1990 seperates every instrument and is very analytical, the Amiron brings everything together. The Amiron has more warmth and is thicker sounding than the dt1990(balanced) though.

The dt990 has less warmth than the Amiron and the dt1990B and is dryer sounding with an excellent soundstage. It needs some EQ in the treble eventually. But it's an underestimated headphone. It's a HD600 with more bass and treble and Beyer mids if you like. I'd take it over the Fostex TH909 with it's shouty colored midrange. The Fostex has more emphasis on detail and it has a pleasant soundstage but the cost in tonality is too high. For my tastes.

dt880 with some EQ in the bass.

HD800S with EQ in the Bass.

HD600 plus EQ in Bass and eventually treble increases the soundstage and helps with slam.

Using EQ would be my general recommendation.

Beyer slam and midrange is special once you get used to it, I've become quite a fan in the recent years,

I do use a touch of EQ , the mod I did makes it less needed.
for the 1990 I just add a 0.5db dip at 1khz. A studio trick for spacing things apart a bit. And then a bit of a raise ( 1.5db) from 13khz and up, to create more air in the soundstage.

I already tried a bunch of EQ with the HD600. Nothing worked for its thinness. And it’s more sibilant than the 1990. Much more.
the 1990 is bright but not sibilant. And again with the mod I did the 1990 is not sibilant at all.

I do totally agree that the Beyer slam and mids are quite special. Too bad Beyer doesn’t modify its 1990 a touch for the treble brightness it gets a ( bad rap) for .

Jun 4, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #19 of 39
I understand what you mean with the HD600.

The treble of the dt1990 can be controlled with the foam disc of the Amiron Wireless or the dt990proX. These can be bought from Beyer. For me this worked best.
At the end of the day I kept the Amiron Home and sold the dt1990 because this was the headphone I always grabbed to listening.

You could eventually look for a used T1 2nd generation. This is classic Beyer with an emphasis on soundstage.

Jun 4, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #20 of 39
I just tried the Hfiman XS ( hated it, boxy sounding and fake timbre), the Audiotechnica MTH R70x ( super cheap and blah). And the Senn HD600.
I own the Marantz HD-DAC1 as well and it partners really well with the R70X and HD650. I wouldn't call the R70X thick sounding, but pretty lush and punchy all together. So does the HD650.
That said, AudioQuest NightHawk (semi open-back), AudioQuest NightOwl (semi closed-back) and Sony MDR-Z7 MKI (semi closed-back) all sound thicker, with the NightOwl the most punchy sounding. Unfortunately they all are discontinued.

Out of the headphones I don't own and didn't audition, but from reading reviews and impressions at Head-fi, the Sony MDR-Z7 MKII (semi closed-back), HarmonicDyne Zeus (open-back), HarmonicDyne Poseidon (open-back), Beyerdynamic T1 gen 3 (open-back) and Beyerdynamic T5 gen 3 (closed-back) could be candidates.

Jun 4, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #21 of 39
I own the Marantz HD-DAC1 as well and it partners really well with the R70X and HD650. I wouldn't call the R70X thick sounding, but pretty lush and punchy all together. So does the HD650.
That said, AudioQuest NightHawk (semi open-back), AudioQuest NightOwl (semi closed-back) and Sony MDR-Z7 MKI (semi closed-back) all sound thicker, with the NightOwl the most punchy sounding. Unfortunately they all are discontinued.

Out of the headphones I don't own and didn't audition, but from reading reviews and impressions at Head-fi, the Sony MDR-Z7 MKII (semi closed-back), HarmonicDyne Zeus (open-back), HarmonicDyne Poseidon (open-back), Beyerdynamic T1 gen 3 (open-back) and Beyerdynamic T5 gen 3 (closed-back) could be candidates.

yeah the HD650 came to mind, but I don’t want to chance it since most say it sounds super similar to the HD600.

thanks man !

Jun 4, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #22 of 39
I understand what you mean with the HD600.

The treble of the dt1990 can be controlled with the foam disc of the Amiron Wireless or the dt990proX. These can be bought from Beyer. For me this worked best.
At the end of the day I kept the Amiron Home and sold the dt1990 because this was the headphone I always grabbed to listening.

You could eventually look for a used T1 2nd generation. This is classic Beyer with an emphasis on soundstage.

that mod I did uses the balanced Pads of the Beyer 1990 which are a bit taller than the analytical, giving it a better soundstage

the T1 does sound intriguing and I might check one out.

the Fostex TH909 definitely has my attention.
and the Meze 109.

for those who know, Is the meze 109 V shaped?

thanks

Jun 5, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #23 of 39
Kennerton headphones have a lot of weight and meat. Not sure if you're looking for something open or closed, Meze and Focal could work for you as well.

Jun 6, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #26 of 39
Audeze lcd x 2021 or the lcd 3 should be good and within range

I only tried one planar and that was the Hifiman XS and I really disliked it.
boxy and unnatural sounding.
yeah it had the soundstage which was tall and the drivers were fast.
but it sounded fake timbre wise. And again the bass was boxy.

cheap build as well. Horrible

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #28 of 39
Ok I tried to keep the title as short as possible.

I have my trusty Beyer DT1990pro. Which I love , especially with the mod I did. Takes away excessive brightness , bass is nice and thick a decent soundstage.

I just tried the Hfiman XS ( hated it, boxy sounding and fake timbre), the Audiotechnica MTH R70x ( super cheap and blah). And the Senn HD600.

returned them all

about the best of those were the HD600, but what I didn’t like was how interments lacked body.
I did like the soundstage, but there was very little body to interments and weight. This has nothing to do with bass.

I mean all the way around. Violins and cellos sounded really thin. No meat on the bone so to speak.

I want the meat on the bone my beyers have and details and punch , but a better soundstage.
Even a slightly different sound wouldn’t be bad. But to have the attributes I pointed out.

Recommendations under $1500?

I’m way more of a speaker guy, so my serious money goes there .

much appreciated
I prefer the dt1990 to the sennheisers too. I use dekoni elite velour pads on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back