Suggestions for a HP which has a nice thick punchy sound?
Jun 3, 2023 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Nkam

100+ Head-Fier
Ok I tried to keep the title as short as possible.

I have my trusty Beyer DT1990pro. Which I love , especially with the mod I did. Takes away excessive brightness , bass is nice and thick a decent soundstage.

I just tried the Hfiman XS ( hated it, boxy sounding and fake timbre), the Audiotechnica MTH R70x ( super cheap and blah). And the Senn HD600.

returned them all

about the best of those were the HD600, but what I didn’t like was how interments lacked body.
I did like the soundstage, but there was very little body to interments and weight. This has nothing to do with bass.

I mean all the way around. Violins and cellos sounded really thin. No meat on the bone so to speak.

I want the meat on the bone my beyers have and details and punch , but a better soundstage.
Even a slightly different sound wouldn’t be bad. But to have the attributes I pointed out.

Recommendations under $1500?

I’m way more of a speaker guy, so my serious money goes there .

much appreciated

Jun 3, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 39

I have my trusty Beyer DT1990pro. Which I love , especially with the mod I did. Takes away excessive brightness , bass is nice and thick a decent soundstage.

I just tried the Hfiman XS ( hated it, boxy sounding and fake timbre), the Audiotechnica MTH R70x ( super cheap and blah). And the Senn HD600.

returned them all

about the best of those were the HD600, but what I didn’t like was how interments lacked body.
I did like the soundstage, but there was very little body to interments and weight. This has nothing to do with bass.

I mean all the way around. Violins and cellos sounded really thin. No meat on the bone so to speak.

I want the meat on the bone my beyers have and details and punch , but a better soundstage.
Even a slightly different sound wouldn’t be bad. But to have the attributes I pointed out.

much appreciated
What does the rest of your setup look like? Meaning, what's your source and how are you driving these headphones?

Jun 3, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 39
Tough recommendation because I don't usually hear people say the HD600 lacks body. Nor is it particularly wide.

But the DT1990 has some real treble energy and it seems you enjoy it.

What I'd recommend 'trying' is the Fostex 909, which will be in your budget if you're open to buying used. Something else you might enjoy is the Focal Clear MG, though if you didn't like the timbre on the XS, unlikely you would enjoy it on the Focal... but we all hear differently.

Jun 3, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 39
Tough recommendation because I don't usually hear people say the HD600 lacks body. Nor is it particularly wide.

But the DT1990 has some real treble energy and it seems you enjoy it.

What I'd recommend 'trying' is the Fostex 909, which will be in your budget if you're open to buying used. Something else you might enjoy is the Focal Clear MG, though if you didn't like the timbre on the XS, unlikely you would enjoy it on the Focal... but we all hear differently.

did you see my mod on the 1990? Yeah it really took the headphones to another level.
I did like the analytical pads but the mode is much much better.
so the Treble energy is tamed down a bit.
btw I am 53. My hearing is still at 16.5khz

been a musician all my life.
the HD600 is kinda thin compared to the 1990.
yea we all hear differently.
I get what would impress people with the XS, don’t get me wrong. But it’s not accurate timbre.

thank you so much for the response.

Jun 3, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 39
You're welcome. At this price point, see if you can listen to them somewhere before buying. SoCal has a CanJam once a year... great place to get an impression on something.

If not, headphones.com has a year return policy, and thecableco does a loaner program.

Jun 3, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 39
You're welcome. At this price point, see if you can listen to them somewhere before buying. SoCal has a CanJam once a year... great place to get an impression on something.

If not, headphones.com has a year return policy, and thecableco does a loaner program.

im 53. Canjam sounds like a super weird place for someone my age. Lol

but yeah that would be the best ultimately

Jun 3, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 39
im 53. Canjam sounds like a super weird place for someone my age. Lol

but yeah that would be the best ultimately
Oh not at all... all ages show up. I brought a 2 week old to the last one in NY. And regularly see guys in their 60s and 70s.

In addition to the 109PRO, take a look at the Ultrasone Edition Eleven. It's biodynamic, has a natural tonality, gets wide, and has a nice fullness to it along with some good detail. Used should be sub $500-600 when it comes up.

Jun 4, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 39
It sure if it fully fits, but the ZMF Atticus sounds like it could be a good shout. It sounds very full-bodied; timbre all day long; details are there (though not at all to the fore); and soundstage is decent. Maybe I’m completely off base (not very experienced in this hobby) but wanted to share just in case.

Jun 4, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 39

returned them all

much appreciated
Beyers in general have a lot of dynamic body but they do it in a way that doesn't bother my ears (i.e. don't sound hard or unpleasant with at length listening) it's one reason they're some of my favorite dynamics, it's always been a trait of them, with the Teslas and the DT 48/480 having the most body and solidity. You can try the T1 Gen 3 which has a better driver, more solid foundation to it's sound, and better spatial characteristics than the DT 1990. It's the warmest sounding of all the Tesla Beyers, but it can use the DT 1990 pads, etc. to easily change it's tuning if you find it warmer than you want stock.

The HD 6xx series solidity and dynamic body is definitely weaker than the Tesla Beyers. I found the HD 600 the least meaty of the HD 6xx series though.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 39
Beyers in general have a lot of dynamic body but they do it in a way that doesn't bother my ears (i.e. don't sound hard or unpleasant with at length listening) it's one reason they're some of my favorite dynamics, it's always been a trait of them, with the Teslas and the DT 48/480 having the most body and solidity. You can try the T1 Gen 3 which has a better driver, more solid foundation to it's sound, and better spatial characteristics than the DT 1990. It's the warmest sounding of all the Tesla Beyers, but it can use the DT 1990 pads, etc. to easily change it's tuning if you find it warmer than you want stock.

The HD 6xx series solidity and dynamic body is definitely weaker than the Tesla Beyers. I found the HD 600 the least meaty of the HD 6xx series though.

ok thanks man.

I was hoping for a bit of ‘ variation’. You know. That’s why to look at another headphone.

yeah Beyer has body and solidity for sure

cheers

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 39
ok thanks man.

I was hoping for a bit of ‘ variation’. You know. That’s why to look at another headphone.

yeah Beyer has body and solidity for sure

cheers
I do recall the Sony MDR-Z1R having excellent body and dynamics but it's been a while since I heard a pair. I have heard some closed biodyna Fostex's a few times they have a lot of dynamic body. I've been told the TH909 is like a better Tesla Beyer but never had the chance to hear one. Focals may work, but I'm personally not a huge fan mainly due to their slightly metallic timbre, but I haven't heard the newer models. No idea on some of the other new releases such as the Meze 109, etc. There are some cheaper options with great body and solidity with a nice thick punchy sound such as the Cal.1H, but I don't think it will be an improvement in terms of soundstage over the DT 1990.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 39
I do recall the Sony MDR-Z1R having excellent body and dynamics but it's been a while since I heard a pair. I have heard some closed biodyna Fostex's a few times they have a lot of dynamic body. I've been told the TH909 is like a better Tesla Beyer but never had the chance to hear one. Focals may work, but I'm personally not a huge fan mainly due to their slightly metallic timbre, but I haven't heard the newer models. No idea on some of the other new releases such as the Meze 109, etc. There are some cheaper options with great body and solidity with a nice thick punchy sound such as the Cal.1H, but I don't think it will be an improvement in terms of soundstage over the DT 1990.
Thanks man I am taking a look at the fostex now

I am also not fond of Focals Mids in speakers. Not at all my cup o tea
weird metallic and congested

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back