Suggestions for a HP which has a nice thick punchy sound?
Jun 7, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #33 of 39
I have the 109 PRO and the TH900mk2 Pearl White.

The 109 PRO has a very fun tuning out of the box. It's an easy-listening mid-fi sound. It's also one of the most comfortable headphones in existence.

The Fostex definitely has a thicker and fuller sound. Dynamics (especially bass) and technicalities are a tier or two above the Meze. The one complaint many people have is the hot treble. You can mitigate this problem by 1. getting the TH909 or one of two anniversary tuned models (white or blue) over the standard Red model, 2. replacing the stock pads with more balanced pads or 3. using EQ.

As for the TH909, while it is better tuned than all versions of the TH900, you can save your money and get similar results with TH610 or Yaxi Alcantra pads on the TH900. And Fostex cans take EQ very well. I go as high as +8dB bass shelf on for some EDM and house music. Fostex bass is epic.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #34 of 39
Would love to try the neoteric one, specially with the JM mod. Defo on my wishlist for the future.
I really like it, very nice companion to my Gjallarhorn. With the JM mods, it sounds relatively neutral, where the Gjallarhorn is definitely colored in a very nice way. Yet it still has the dynamics and transients like the Gjallarhorn. I was worried that they might sound too much alike, but not the case. I still really want to try one of John's XTC models, but aside from that, I feel pretty set with my Kennertons. They look great side by side on this really nice wood dual headphone stand I have.

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #35 of 39
I really like it, very nice companion to my Gjallarhorn. With the JM mods, it sounds relatively neutral, where the Gjallarhorn is definitely colored in a very nice way. Yet it still has the dynamics and transients like the Gjallarhorn. I was worried that they might sound too much alike, but not the case. I still really want to try one of John's XTC models, but aside from that, I feel pretty set with my Kennertons. They look great side by side on this really nice wood dual headphone stand I have.
Im sure that the neoteric got more than enough dynamics even if it's not as coloured as the horns.
I owned the OG Gjallarhorn JM for a long time and it's one, if not the best, closed back that I've tried. I sold them cause I moved to a really quiet town and didn't need isolation anymore.

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #36 of 39
Im sure that the neoteric got more than enough dynamics even if it's not as coloured as the horns.
I owned the OG Gjallarhorn JM for a long time and it's one, if not the best, closed back that I've tried. I sold them cause I moved to a really quiet town and didn't need isolation anymore.
Which cans do you currently own?

Jun 7, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #38 of 39
I've settled with the Final D8K Pro LE and the Sennheiser HD800S. Don't think I'll be getting anything anytime soon, unless I can find a cheap Vali on the E.U.
Nice. My budget was 700 bucks for a long time. Still won't spend over a grand. This is my 2nd hobby bass fishing gear is my 1st, and pretty much everything I own and use is high end enthusiast JDM market - not cheap, but still not as expensive as this stuff. I'm going to spend a few hours with my Neo tonight, just for you 👌

Jun 7, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #39 of 39
Nice. My budget was 700 bucks for a long time. Still won't spend over a grand. This is my 2nd hobby bass fishing gear is my 1st, and pretty much everything I own and use is high end enthusiast JDM market - not cheap, but still not as expensive as this stuff. I'm going to spend a few hours with my Neo tonight, just for you 👌
You are more than fine on that bracket. Diminishing returns hits really hard even below 1k and fishing is a really nice hobby to dedicate your money.

Anyways, enjoy your night with the Vali! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back