Suggestions for a Basshead?
Jun 29, 2011 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ZMan2k2

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, my name is Richard, and I'm a basshead.  There I've said it.

I've been using a set of Beats by Dre tours, that I got about 6 months ago.  I felt, while using them, that they had decent bass, and performed around the same level as my ATH-M50's, but without the oversized package, making travelling easier.  Up until recently, like two days ago, I had been using the stock tips that came with the headphones.  I went with a deep insertion, and got mixed results.  Sometimes the sound would be what I want, sometimes it would lack in the low end.  That changed a couple days ago, when I got a package of Monster Supertips.  I found with the supertips, that these earphones work better with shallow insertion, when they can really start to thump.  And they do thump, but the sound has changed.  I used to think the bass was crisp, but now, with the new tips, it sounds muddy and overbearing.  I'm not as impressed as I was initially.  I did get them on sale, so I didn't pay full price, if that's any consolation.  

My question is, because I'm a basshead, and I'd like to get new IEM's, to compare these with another pair, what do I get?
I read this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/434841/bass-ahoy-a-comparison-of-the-monster-turbines-jvc-victor-fx500-sennheiser-ie8-and-audio-technica-cks70 and like the descriptions of them.  But I have some lingering questions.  

The Sennheisers' sound good, but the price here in Canada is a little prohibitive.  Are they really worth it?
The Monster Turbines are readily available, but the suspect build quality has me concerned.  Should I be worried?
The Audio Technica's can be had easily enough, but will I be satisfied?
the JVC's aren't easily found, so they really are off the list.

I assume there are others that I should consider, I'm just not sure which ones they are.  The budget for this is $300 CAD.  If there's shipping, I would like that included in the cost.  

Suggestions?
Tips? 
"Shut up n00b!" comments?

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 19
I don't have enough personal experience with the IEM's in your price range, but I just wanted to welcome you and wish you luck on your journey. With $300 to spend, you should not have to give up any of your desired criterion. I have heard many great things about the Copper Turbines, so check out some reviews on those. I have also read that for $90, you can have your current headphones gutted, and the guts put inside a custom shell. This would give you a great seal, and eliminated the issues you are having with different size tips.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 19
Search for thread title "bass" in this forum. The same topic has been discussed TONS in the past 1 month. Don't worry you'll get many choices!
gs1000.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 19
Okay, so I did some more searching, and had a great PM conversation with a member, and I've moved from my initial choices to the following:

-Radius HP-TWF21 W #2
 or
-Future Sonics Atrios M5

Good choice either way?  One over the other?

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 19
Monster Turbine Pro Golds are supposed to be really bass heavy as well, but keeping quality in mind too.  IDK how true this is as I haven't heard them myself.

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 19
Audio Technica  ATH-CKS70  *boom*   

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 19
Yeah, the Golds are pretty bassy. They have pretty much the same bass quantity as the standard Turbines, with everything else improved. I also have an M50, the Turbines and Turbine Golds are both way bassier.

Quote:
Monster Turbine Pro Golds are supposed to be really bass heavy as well, but keeping quality in mind too.  IDK how true this is as I haven't heard them myself.

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #12 of 19
What about the Miles Davis Tribute phones from Monster?  How's the build quality of them?  Better than the Turbines?  I'm a little worried about the Radius phones, just don't know how I feel about all plastic construction, as these will be travelling quite a bit.  Also, I'm concerned about the isolation.  I don't want to annoy my neighbor on the plane, and I want to block out the airplane drone.  Even though the reviews are good, I'm just not sure.

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #13 of 19
The MDT are very, very good. For me, they are the best IEM I have ever listened to (you can see everything in my sig.) They are smooth, warm, and quite bass heavy; but don't let that fool you, they also excel in mids too.

If you want a warm IEM that is bass heavy and has good mids, I would rank the MDT as the top IEM. When I get the FX700, we will see if the MDT will hold up...

Plus, there is always the life-time warranty...

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #14 of 19
^^Thanks.  I was reading |joker|'s IEM ratings thread today, looking at quite a few options of headphones.  His description of the MDT's sounded exactly like what I'm looking for in an IEM.  Great bass, decent mids and a clear set of highs.  Amazon's sale right now at $255 with shipping and import fees to Canada puts them at a little over $300, which was my budget.  I ordered them, so we'll see what I personally think when they arrive.  

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, but overall, I think I like the MDT's looks just as much as the description of the sound.  I think that matters too.  I'll let everyone know what I think when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back