Suggestions Closed Headphones <$150
Nov 27, 2007 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hershann

Head-Fier
After searching through 25 pages of threads - have yet come to a firm conclusion of what to get. My priorities are:

1) Isolation - travel about 1.5hrs by public transport to work and need some decent isolation. Don't like IEMs.

2) Sound Quality - Of course do not expect the quality of the mid-hi tier of headphones but bass should be tight and mids detailed. Something not too fatiguing please - too much treble kills my ear.

3) Comfort - I do like the Senn HD595 comfort.

4) Portability - Not too much of an issue - as long as it is not too heavy or cords too long. Don't really care if people stare at the huge phones. So circumaurals are fine

5) Sound signature - I'm happy with the Senn signature but other suggestions are fine too.

I know that the Senn HD280pros have a 32db attenuation. Are the specs for the other headphones listed?

thanks

her shann

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 10
While the HD280's would fit most of your requirements (not fatiguing, decent bass, okay mids), their comfort level is questionable. Personally, I thought they had an enormous "clamp-force". The seal provided by these cans may be a good reason why they cancel so much sound. However, I couldn't really wear them for long periods of time...maybe an hour to two hours tops.

Since I'm not really into the Sennheiser sound, I'm probably not the fairest judge on sound quality.

Just thought I should mention the comfort...

Nylan

EDIT: Crap, mcmyers beat me to the link. Grats.

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hershann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After searching through 25 pages of threads - have yet come to a firm conclusion of what to get. My priorities are:

1) Isolation - travel about 1.5hrs by public transport to work and need some decent isolation. Don't like IEMs.

2) Sound Quality - Of course do not expect the quality of the mid-hi tier of headphones but bass should be tight and mids detailed. Something not too fatiguing please - too much treble kills my ear.

3) Comfort - I do like the Senn HD595 comfort.

4) Portability - Not too much of an issue - as long as it is not too heavy or cords too long. Don't really care if people stare at the huge phones. So circumaurals are fine

5) Sound signature - I'm happy with the Senn signature but other suggestions are fine too.

I know that the Senn HD280pros have a 32db attenuation. Are the specs for the other headphones listed?

thanks

her shann

Did you run across this thread yet?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...mpared-250041/

It's one of the more comprehensive comparisons. Unfortunately, the headphones that apparently meet your criteria best (Senn HD 25-1-II) are $199 from Headroom (not sure if you could find them cheaper elsewhere). Headroom also recommends the Sennheiser HD 25-SP-II, which are the younger brother of the aforementioned headphones and only cost $100. I haven't heard either, but those two might be a good starting point.

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 10
After looking at that link to the 5 headphone reviews, I realized that the headphones used look more like portable type of headphones. I am not a big fan on portable type headphones because I have a ginormus head and they usally don't fit very well or feel comfortable at all. In-ear or styles of headphones that somehow clamp or attach to the ear, my ears don't like that very well. So time for me to give you a different suggestion than what others might recommend.

Audio-Technica ATH-A700 Art, you can easily find them for under $150.
Specifications
Type: Closed Dynamic
Driver Unit: 53mm, CCAW voice coil
Magnet: Neodymium
Frequency response: 5-35,000 Hz
Impedence: 64 Ohms
Max. Input Power: 500mW
Sensitivity: 102dB
Plug: Gold-plating stereo mini plug
Cord length: 3.0m (Wrapping / OFC)
Net weight (without cord): 290g

I like these headphones but always looking for better due to my upgradeitus....

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 10
Usual as per any previous purchase - the budget keeps going up as the suggestions comes in
smily_headphones1.gif

My thoughts now:

1) HD280 - cheap with good isolation -> but sound quality isn't great - I will probably feel the urge to get better phones in a short while

2) DT770 - just slightly out of budget. Did somebody mention a hole in the midrange??

3) AT A700 - What's the isolation on this? How about the sound quality?

4) HD25 - don't fancy the supraaural design - I get ear aches from them after 30min

5) Denon AH-D2000 - way out of budget (but can be persuaded to get them) and suppose to have hi-fi sound compared to the rest here. Again, any owners can give an idea how much isolation do these provide??

Still thinking!

her shann

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Sound quality wise, I have used the AT A700 head phones with an X-fi sound card for listening to music and watching movies, connected through headphone jack on logitech Z-680 computer/HTIB speakers using optical source through my Xbox 360 and the HD DVD drive playing games and watching movies and used them with 2 portable devices, the Rio S35 Sport MP3 player and Creative Labs Zen Vision: W Digital Media Player. These headphones are big, but comfortable and don't feel that heavy to me. Source matters but the difference in SQ between the devices I used is not dramatic IMHO. Bass is decent quality but it is on the light side, considering the impedence of the phones I think even a portable amp could help this, but I do not have amp to test this. Mids are solid, it's the best way I can describe it, the mids don't fall on the positive or negative side of my opinion. Highs IMHO is great on these phones and I consider it one of it's strong points and it matches very well it's other strong point and that is it's soundstage capability. It's nice when you can listen to something like a live concert or play FPS type games and you can tell that all the band members are not in one spot fighting to be heard but they seperated in their own spaces doing their thing or that you can tell the difference between an emeny creeping outside an open window or that the enemy is actually trying to sneak up behind trying to put a knife in you.

+ highs
+ soundstage
+ comfortable
+ great for people with big heads
+ different devices do not result in dramatic differences in SQ
+ price vs performance
/ mids
/ light bass, could be a negative for those who want a stronger presence of bass in their listening material
/ Isolation is above average IMHO

I don't really think there is a definitive negative when you factor the price vs performance of these headphones.

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 10
The Equation Audio RP-22X would meet all of your criteria. Great bass, good isolation, not bright, easily driven. Longish cord though, but not coiled, unlike the RP-21. They are also definitely not in the "portable" category.

I no longer own them, but I do continue to pimp them.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back