Suggestion: Review section for just Tubes?
Sep 8, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 12
Tubes act differently in different circuits. A great tube in one amp can be mediocre in another. So, any review of a tube would be specific to the amp of the reviewer. Probably best to keep tube reviews in the context of amplification, IMO.

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 12
so how will we be reviewing "just tubes?"

anyways, as long as it doesn't crowd the already crowded top forums list I wouldn't mind having one.

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
anyways, as long as it doesn't crowd the already crowded top forums list I wouldn't mind having one.

Yeah, but it would.

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
Yeah, but it would.

well, put it under the amp reviews section and have it not show up on the top page or something. not every forum / subforum we have has to be there....

Sep 8, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Yes please but would indeed include used circuit, another thing that complicates matter may be the headphone used, at least I notice it with my own tuberolling efforts.

Sep 9, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Tubes act differently in different circuits. A great tube in one amp can be mediocre in another. So, any review of a tube would be specific to the amp of the reviewer. Probably best to keep tube reviews in the context of amplification, IMO.

I echo Hirsch's thoughts exactly. Unless all the tubes were reviewed, by the samep people, using the same amps, the variables would make it impossible to derive any real value from the ratings.

JC

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReaper
I thought it would be nice to have a section devoted to reviews of just tubes. What does everyone else think?

Do you mean just tubes or tube amps?

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 12
I agree with Hirsch as well. Tubes are too subjective given their application in various amps. This is similar to cables and as such they are all relegated to one forum. That said, I am all for some reviews of tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 12
I don't fully agree, IMO/E a good tube should be a good tube in any particular design.
It may sound different of course, but not magical in on design and utterly crappy in another. Or there's some design problem IMO.

Last year i've found an amazing review about 300B, 9 different tubes. I've only tried 2 of the tubes the guy is talking about. ( My stock Electro Harmonix and Sophia/TJ mesh plate that i bought later). All i can say is the guy is spot on about the sound of this 2 tubes and we don't use the same amp.

I post the link so you can drool over them. (and you should
wink.gif
)

http://www.vaic-audio.info/300B%20Sh...n%20Loesch.htm

Sep 10, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
I don't fully agree, IMO/E a good tube should be a good tube in any particular design.
It may sound different of course, but not magical in on design and utterly crappy in another. Or there's some design problem IMO.

Last year i've found an amazing review about 300B, 9 different tubes. I've only tried 2 of the tubes the guy is talking about. ( My stock Electro Harmonix and Sophia/TJ mesh plate that i bought later). All i can say is the guy is spot on about the sound of this 2 tubes and we don't use the same amp.

I post the link so you can drool over them. (and you should
wink.gif
)

http://www.vaic-audio.info/300B%20Sh...n%20Loesch.htm

Yes I agree with you, however the person who is reviewing the tube uses it in a specific system that might impose a character of its own on the reproduction and hinder a clear judgement of the tubes because of that, plus a less revealing circuit for example might hide certain aspects of the tubes performance wether they are good or bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back