Suggestion on Phono Stage (or options)
Aug 2, 2009 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

rjoseph

100+ Head-Fier
I picked up a in-excellent condition Technics SL-DD22 turntable with AT112E/U cartridge yesterday at a yard sale for $5 and about 40 vinyls for $7.50 . Since I do not have a phono stage I was wondering which might be a good option for me:
a. go in for the CA Azur Phono Preamp 540P ($99)
b. the Pro-ject Phono Box II ($159)
c. Get a cheap preamp with a built in phono stage (if I can find one) ($??)

While suggesting, please keep in mind, this is my entry into vinyl and so want to keep the prices low till I learn more. I intend to use it both with my CIAudio amp as well as my Mackie monitors. Thanks.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 22
So many views, no suggestions. Anybody?

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 22
Aug 3, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 22
Is there merit in going for an used preamp from ebay? Do they generally have a good phono stage compared to lets say something like the Pro-ject?

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 22
My starter phono pre-amp was the TCC-750LC, and it's a great little pre-amp. I only recently upgraded to the Cambridge Audio 640P.

Obviously, I have my TCC-750LC up for sale, as I've since replaced it, I think it would bode well in your system for a while to come (Mine sure did) I could have it shipped to you for $35 USD if you like.

Even if you don't want a used one, I would still definitely recommend it as new, as it's a great preamp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 22
i use a 640p and really like it...cheap as chips as well

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 22
I am also satisfied with my 640p. I would reccomend 640 instead of 540, since you can use both MM and MC Pickup with it. I guess the project phono box is great as well (at least they make great turntables)

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #9 of 22
Thanks guys. I have another question, Will a cheap preamp with phono stage be a decent option? Will they sound anywhere close to products like pro-ject or the 640P? I'm not looking for the best sound but just decent enough to pass the output to my speakers.

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 22
Hi - I gor your PM.
smily_headphones1.gif

There are quite a few budget options. When I started out, I picked up a NAD PP2. It has good performance and was enough to convince me to get more seriously into vinyl. I sold it to nmaher when I found a used Conrad-Johnson PV2 for $300. Those are a good deal if you can find one. They'll give you a tubed phono stage (
smily_headphones1.gif
) with a couple of tape loops out - those can feed headphone amps or active monitors. Keep an eye out for something like this. There are a number of very good used preamps out there. I've seen some older NAD models sell under $200 that include a phono preamp.

Another option is finding an older receiver with a phono preamp. There can range from free to $100-$200 and you can find them on Craigslist, thrift stores and garage sales. If it has a tape loop (likely) or record out, that'll work with your setup. A receiver will also let you move to passive speakers when you're ready and will give you a tuner. I still think that radios are the most underrated source out there.

If you might want to try a kit, the Hagerman Bugle is good, and so are the Bottlehead and Transcendent phono preamps.

Right now, I'm using one of Don Garber's Fi Yph phono stages. It's terrific, though I'm thinking about picking up the upcoming Eddie Current phono preamp or building one. If DIY interests you, there are some very interesting designs out there.

Overall, I think a used receiver would give you the most value. If you grab one for $20, you couldn't do any better. If you're interested in building out your system, a quality used preamp might be better in the long run.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjoseph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. I have another question, Will a cheap preamp with phono stage be a decent option? Will they sound anywhere close to products like pro-ject or the 640P? I'm not looking for the best sound but just decent enough to pass the output to my speakers.

It depends on the preamp. A lot of vintage British and American made preamps of the mid 70's up to the late 80's had decent phono stages. Most Japanese made preamps (except for their high end and Rotel) weren't comparable. You may also find that these require some work (scratchy pots, corroded connectors, etc.). The 640p will be better than most that you can find for the same price or cheaper.

I would only go this route if you feel you would like the convenience of a switch box for multiple inputs. If that's the case, look for Nad, Audiolab, Creek, Nytech, Rotel, A&R Cambridge, Cambridge, american made Marantz, Musical Fidelity, Apt-Holman, Amber, Parasound. The Hafler 101 or 110 and the Dynacos I would consider border-line acceptable. Check the connecting jacks also. Some of the early British preamps used din connectors instead of rca's.

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

So many views, no suggestions. Anybody?

The most important component of a turntable system is the turntable itself. This makes your Technics SL-DD22 the limiting factor. I wouldn't sweat over getting a fancy phono preamp. Don't spend over $100 unless you plan on getting a much better turntable down the road. A TCC-TC750 should be more than good enough.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 22
Thanks everybody. I tried bidding for a few receivers and preamps on ebay but lost out. I finally found a month old Pro-ject phono II at audiogon for $80 shipped and so bought it. I'll receive it sometime soon. Thanks for all your inputs. I'm sure upgraditis will come up and bite my crack in another 3-4 months and I'll be on the search again.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Thanks everybody. I tried bidding for a few receivers and preamps on ebay but lost out. I finally found a month old Pro-ject phono II at audiogon for $80 shipped and so bought it. I'll receive it sometime soon. Thanks for all your inputs. I'm sure upgraditis will come up and bite my crack in another 3-4 months and I'll be on the search again.

Great choice.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 22
On the cheap, I would suggest looking for an older 1970's - 1980's preamp that already has a phono stage built into it. You could probably find one of these at another garage sale or flea market. Try to find one that uses tubes.

For a current alternative I would also second the Hagerman stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back