Suggestion needed regarding headphone around 200$ budget, please help
Nov 12, 2014 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

hitme987

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I want to buy a headphone(Over/On ear) with budget around 200$. I listen to Melodic Death, Thrash, Black and all speed type metal genres.

I basically love a signature with good instrument seperation & good bass thump, overall bass. Vocals need not to be prominent. I love to have more significance on rythym,bass guitars with detailing & drums especially snare double-bass drums bass thump.

I need it to use with my desktop and so please suggest something which suits me the best.

Here is my experience with some of the headphones/IEM's I own sound wise:

1) Sony MDR V55(On ear)- Vocals focused more(Overcomes guitars), somewhat less bassy for my liking, need more thump and more instrument seperation.

2) Xiaomi Piston V2.1(IEM)- I use this with my Sansa Clip Zip with +6 bass EQ and it is my perfect taste, my favorite headphone in my current collection. Bass is good enough, would like more instrument seperation and better mids/highs as well as more detailing. So, basically I need a good upgrade to this.

3) Skullcandy Titan S2TTDY033 (IEM) - Probably perfect in terms of bass and warmness for me but would like more better instrument seperation, better detailing in mids and highs.

4) Sony MH1C (IEM) -  Sound is very less. Couldn't able to listen to songs at good volume even when cramped at +15DB on my Sansa Clip Zip. I liked piston signature(with +6 bass EQ) much more than MH1C, though two are pretty similar

Another most important thing to mention is comfort, my ears are pretty small. I'm able to insert piston only with Foam tips, all size flanges used to make me uncomfortable. Sony MDR-V55 gives a pain in my ear within just minutes of hearing. I tried everything with MDR V55, tried to adjust headband, also bought 2 replacement pads. I bought these 2 :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290901698506 & http://www.ebay.com/itm/300802862033 .Honestly nothing made it comfortable and also sound signature is not the perfect I desire of.
Skullcandy Titan S2TTDY033 & Sony MH1C are both pretty much perfect for me in terms of comfort.

PS: I don't have an amplifier, I am looking to use with my desktop. My bro already got a Sony MDR-V6 that he can give to me, shall I just buy a good amp and save all the budget? Can it actually meet my signature needs if amped ? Also any suggestions on its comfort would be appreciated.

So, if Sony MDR v6 amped can meet my signature, I will not buy another headphone. If not I'm looking to buy one in 200$ budget. Or else a headphone+good amp in 200$ also would be fine with me.Also, comfort is pretty important too, spent over 100$(with pads etc) on my MDR v55 which gone in vain :frowning2:

I live in India and I am ordering to my friend in USA. So, I can't test them or return and would solely buy on your suggestions.Though I will be able to order from any USA online or offline store.

I really hope you guys can help me out. I practically listen to over 3 hours everyday and would really be glad if you guys can help me find my perfect match

Thanks for reading, Sorry if its a bit long. I always love & appreciate head-fi community for making my listening experience such awesome everytime

Regards

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 20
  Hello,

I want to buy a headphone(Over/On ear) with budget around 200$. I listen to Melodic Death, Thrash, Black and all speed type metal genres.

I basically love a signature with good instrument seperation & good bass thump, overall bass. Vocals need not to be prominent. I love to have more significance on rythym,bass guitars with detailing & drums especially snare double-bass drums bass thump.

I need it to use with my desktop and so please suggest something which suits me the best.

Here is my experience with some of the headphones/IEM's I own sound wise:

1) Sony MDR V55(On ear)- Vocals focused more(Overcomes guitars), somewhat less bassy for my liking, need more thump and more instrument seperation.

2) Xiaomi Piston V2.1(IEM)- I use this with my Sansa Clip Zip with +6 bass EQ and it is my perfect taste, my favorite headphone in my current collection. Bass is good enough, would like more instrument seperation and better mids/highs as well as more detailing. So, basically I need a good upgrade to this.

3) Skullcandy Titan S2TTDY033 (IEM) - Probably perfect in terms of bass and warmness for me but would like more better instrument seperation, better detailing in mids and highs.

4) Sony MH1C (IEM) -  Sound is very less. Couldn't able to listen to songs at good volume even when cramped at +15DB on my Sansa Clip Zip. I liked piston signature(with +6 bass EQ) much more than MH1C, though two are pretty similar

Another most important thing to mention is comfort, my ears are pretty small. I'm able to insert piston only with Foam tips, all size flanges used to make me uncomfortable. Sony MDR-V55 gives a pain in my ear within just minutes of hearing. I tried everything with MDR V55, tried to adjust headband, also bought 2 replacement pads. I bought these 2 :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290901698506 & http://www.ebay.com/itm/300802862033 .Honestly nothing made it comfortable and also sound signature is not the perfect I desire of.
Skullcandy Titan S2TTDY033 & Sony MH1C are both pretty much perfect for me in terms of comfort.

PS: I don't have an amplifier, I am looking to use with my desktop. My bro already got a Sony MDR-V6 that he can give to me, shall I just buy a good amp and save all the budget? Can it actually meet my signature needs if amped ? Also any suggestions on its comfort would be appreciated.

So, if Sony MDR v6 amped can meet my signature, I will not buy another headphone. If not I'm looking to buy one in 200$ budget. Or else a headphone+good amp in 200$ also would be fine with me.Also, comfort is pretty important too, spent over 100$(with pads etc) on my MDR v55 which gone in vain :frowning2:

I live in India and I am ordering to my friend in USA. So, I can't test them or return and would solely buy on your suggestions.Though I will be able to order from any USA online or offline store.

I really hope you guys can help me out. I practically listen to over 3 hours everyday and would really be glad if you guys can help me find my perfect match

Thanks for reading, Sorry if its a bit long. I always love & appreciate head-fi community for making my listening experience such awesome everytime

Regards

You could get a Soundmagic Hp 150..you wont regret it. Its a very good entry level headphone.

http://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-HP150-Premium-Folding-Headphones/dp/B00LV8TR54/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1415856179&sr=1-1&keywords=soundmagic+hp+150

And thank me when you do! :)

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 20
HP150 wont cut it for you. The V-6 wont either. The V-55 is a dj can that i found quite bassy, that you thought it lacked bass means you are probably a basshead since the Pistons have way more bass than HP150, V6 and V55, like way more and you found them perfect. Its hard to find something that bassy in the price range that also does everything else well, the Vmoda M-100 would do it for you, but its $300 but on the other hand you wont have to buy an amp, so consider bumping your budget by $100 more. On the bright side, the UE6000 is going for under $100 new and it is A LOT better than the V55 ans Sony V6. It is also very comfortable and in active mode it has a similar sound signtature very close to the Pistons, and i even prefer it over the Vmoda.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 20
HP150 wont cut it for you. The V-6 wont either. The V-55 is a dj can that i found quite bassy, that you thought it lacked bass means you are probably a basshead since the Pistons have way more bass than HP150, V6 and V55, like way more and you found them perfect. Its hard to find something that bassy in the price range that also does everything else well, the Vmoda M-100 would do it for you, but its $300 but on the other hand you wont have to buy an amp, so consider bumping your budget by $100 more. On the bright side, the UE6000 is going for under $100 new and it is A LOT better than the V55 ans Sony V6. It is also very comfortable and in active mode it has a similar sound signtature very close to the Pistons, and i even prefer it over the Vmoda.

But you did read the rest of it right...he also wants good instrument separation with detailing in the mids and highs? Do you think the Logietch UE6000 can do that?

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 20
no 
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 20
UE6000 have very good detailed mids, they are a little recessed on the others. It doesnt have a big stage but separation is pretty decent considering the bass that he would vastly prefer over the others. It sounds very coherant top to bottom and is an easier recommendation given his preferences, but of course you can just spam new members with suggesting the only headphones you have, that could work too. :D

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 20
UE6000 have very good detailed mids, they are a little recessed on the others. It doesnt have a big stage but separation is pretty decent considering the bass that he would vastly prefer over the others. It sounds very coherant top to bottom and is an easier recommendation given his preferences, but of course you can just spam new members with suggesting the only headphones you have, that could work too.
biggrin.gif

All I am saying is that the HP 200 has just the right amount of bass. I unfortunately do not know how to make suggestions for headphones that offer way more bass response than what is actually there in the song. But if it were a good change so that he could experience the other things he likes, I thought I did put it out there. I am sorry I am not a conformist and a smiley for that too! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 20
And for the record, those are not the only headphones I have. I havent listed the others which I have acquired lately. I will when I am good enough and ready enough to review them in detail. And I dont spam people with the Soundmagics, I make other recommendations as well that I have listened to. But when it comes to price vs performance I still somehow prefer the Soundmagics.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 20
All I am saying is that the HP 200 has just the right amount of bass. I unfortunately do not know how to make suggestions for headphones that offer way more bass response than what is actually there in the song. But if it were a good change so that he could experience the other things he likes, I thought I did put it out there. I am sorry I am not a conformist and a smiley for that too! :D

Has the right amount of bass FOR YOU. OP clearly indicated his bass preferences, he uses +6 boost on the Pistons which is brain-rattling. Ive owned the V55, MH1C, Pistons and V6 which are the gear he mentioned. It's ok to make recommendations of products you've owned especially if you really enjoy them, but it's even more important to listen to what someone is looking for. Especially since not long ago you yourself were looking for help and stated that you cant test headphones but now suddenly you pop up in threads recommending headphones and commenting on them as if you have vast experience with them. There are forum rules against that btw. It is definitely not my intent to call you out, as my only priority is for OP to find a good selection that will be right for him and he'll be happy with, if that is the HP150 then great(its a very good headphone, for airy presentation, neutral and soundstage aficionados) but it lacks midbass presence and warmth, which is what the Pistons are all about. "So basically a good upgrade to this" - regarding the Pistons which are his favorite headphone. Vmoda 100 fits the bill very nicely, but if he doesnt have the budget listing alternatives is all we can do.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #11 of 20
Has the right amount of bass FOR YOU. OP clearly indicated his bass preferences, he uses +6 boost on the Pistons which is brain-rattling. Ive owned the V55, MH1C, Pistons and V6 which are the gear he mentioned. It's ok to make recommendations of products you've owned especially if you really enjoy them, but it's even more important to listen to what someone is looking for. Especially since not long ago you yourself were looking for help and stated that you cant test headphones but now suddenly you pop up in threads recommending headphones and commenting on them as if you have vast experience with them. There are forum rules against that btw. It is definitely not my intent to call you out, as my only priority is for OP to find a good selection that will be right for him and he'll be happy with, if that is the HP150 then great(its a very good headphone, for airy presentation, neutral and soundstage aficionados) but it lacks midbass presence and warmth, which is what the Pistons are all about. "So basically a good upgrade to this" - regarding the Pistons which are his favorite headphone. Vmoda 100 fits the bill very nicely, but if he doesnt have the budget listing alternatives is all we can do.

+1

Rajeevrn, you have to figure out the OPs needs, and as an HP150 owner, I am quite certain that the HP150s nor the HP200s would work for the OP given how he boosts the bass on the Pistons.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #12 of 20
Thanks a ton OMGLadyGaga  and all others for their views. I was looking for a opinion from those who actually own all of those & you seem to have perfect knowledge of it. I got a promotion going on for UE 6000 locally and grabbed it for 77$ which seems a steal price for that! I will give out my impressions in 3-4 days :) PS: Am looking to buy a FiiO E11 with the budget I saved in case 6000 suits me, an amp is worth purchasing in your opinion ?

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 20
That's a great deal for those, even by US prices that's good. Congrats :)

If you are running the UE6000 near max volume (not necessarily the same as max volume dial setting) such that the device's amp is near its limits, an amp could provide additional headroom that gives you better dynamic range. So depends on the device you are using and your listening volumes.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #14 of 20
Thanks. Yeah, luckily found a great deal from a Logitech Authorised Retailer locally and at the time I wanted a new one :D

I actually bought it to use it with my desktop. I'm not into EQing or anything with PC. Not sure if an amp is actually needed or not. I listen using piston while traveling on Sansa Clip Zip EQ +6 DB Bass, didn't feel any need for an amp. With desktop piston's bass is less for my liking. So, just wondering is it wise enough to invest on one? Also, am not sure what might be the difference between FiiO models E6 and E19(Apart from the huge 100$+ price :p) And unsure on which FiiO model in case I want one.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 20
I think you should experiment first. If you aren't pushing the volume limits on the amp of the device you are using, there seems little value in double amping with an external headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back