Suggestion for the 1st fullsize headphone
Sep 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Actually what you're looking for is no less than a 1:8 impedance match - as it can affect the damping factor.  Basically this can mess with the frequency curve if the damping factor is too small.  In easy to understand terms, it can cause the headphone to either under-represent or over-represent parts of the normal frequency.  An example of this is the K701 where an incorrect damping factor can audibly change the bass response.  In your case - your 4S has under 2 ohms output impedance - so any headphone over 16 ohms should be good - including the Momentum.  Using the Galaxy S4 though - if the Momentum is 18 ohms - may not be such a good idea (would pay to check with Sennheiser - they'll know if it's likely to change or not).

The 1:8 rule is a general (safe) rule of thumb.  Depending on the headphone - this factor could be less.  But for your set-up ....
4S is under 2 ohms so pretty much any headphone will be OK (as long as the 4S can power it)
Clip Zip is approx 1 ohm so again pretty much any headphone will be OK (as long as the Clip Zip can power it)
**Sorry - originally I thought you were talking about the Galaxy S4 - I should have read initial post better**

If your pout put impedance is 4-8 ohm, and you're trying to run a headphone with known frequency issues with damping that is lower impedance than the 1:8 rule - then adding an amp with a low impedance out is one way of correcting the damping mismatch. 

No problems - only dumb question as far as I am concerned is the one you don't actually ask.  Better to inquire - there is always someone here willing to help.  BTW - this thread may help with understanding damping factor (http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-matching-basics-you-need-to-know)

See a much better answer there. I forgot to mention that an amp would resolve your issue...  that being the case. Let's assume you need an amp. A Fiio E6 is a nice place to start although I recommend you try to find an E11 used for about the same price as the E6 is new. Granted though that is more to carry around, 

Still there are many headphones with a sound simmilar to the Momentum, that do not have it's low impedance. For Example the Akg K550, although it may not have enough bass for you, And you still need to decide 

if your need isolation 
and
if you want open or closed headphones [the first question kinda answers teh second] 

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #17 of 27
@Mshenay & @Brooko

I am reading the topic that Brooko said above ( very hard to understand all of it but i'll try read and read and read again) I almost understand all of what you said, and the gear i have tried yesterday is

1.S4+ HD518 ( it's in the Samsung store and let the guest to try ) -> the quality is good , warm ,bass is ok , i have not tried with max volume on it.
2.My iphone 4s + Momentum -> at first it sound good but when tried to max volume is "noise" ( sorry i dont know a lot of technical words )

So i think for the 2nd it will fit the 1:8 rule so why it is cause bad quality sound ( I tried with mp3 file ,is it a cause ?) so if i use iphone 4s/ Sansa Clip zip the HD598/MDR-1R/Momentum all is good?

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #18 of 27
Could be the recording - quite possibly distortion (clipping?) as the iPhone reaches max volume.  I haven't heard the Momentum - and not sure how hard to drive out of an iDevice.  Why are you trying to run it at max volume??  Is it not loud enough without max volume?

If you are listening to heavily compressed music (ie bad recording quality) with very heavy bass, on a bassy headphone, at extreme volume - then it's likely to be a combination of factors.

Oh - and the HD598 are not going to be any good portable ...... far too open.  They are also quite bass light/neutral  
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
Could be the recording - quite possibly distortion (clipping?) as the iPhone reaches max volume.  I haven't heard the Momentum - and not sure how hard to drive out of an iDevice.  Why are you trying to run it at max volume??  Is it not loud enough without max volume?

If you are listening to heavily compressed music (ie bad recording quality) with very heavy bass, on a bassy headphone, at extreme volume - then it's likely to be a combination of factors.

Oh - and the HD598 are not going to be any good portable ...... far too open.  They are also quite bass light/neutral  
wink.gif

Oh because i think when the volume is max i will know whether this headphone is good or not :)) So HD598 is not your recommendation ?

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Oh because i think when the volume is max i will know whether this headphone is good or not :)) So HD598 is not your recommendation ?

HD 598 is a very good headphone - but not for portable (ie wearing when you are traveling), and not if you need any isolation at all.  It is very open.  It is also quite bass neutral/light.  To my ears it is tilted more toward mids and highs.  That wasn't the preferred signature you had indicated.

BTW - having volume at max is simply over-driving the source.  Not a good test of whether the headphone is good - especially if it completely exceeds your normal listening levels. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #22 of 27
1.When choosing a headphone , what is the most feature of this that we care (impedance..... ) because i think maybe my phone is not suitable for Momentum, isn't it , I saw the impedance of Momentum is about 18.I forgot something , yesterday I tied the Sen Momentum with my 4s not Galaxy S4 , I just read some thread and I saw they said the input impedance of headphone is 8x (or more) than output impedance of source, so let calculate : my iphone 4s's impedance is 1.97, 1.97 x 8 =15.76 ohm and Momentum is 18ohm so what was cause the bad quality ( noise when max volume) ?

The impedance rating shouldn't make that big a difference. If the impedance isn't quite 1/8, all that generally tends to do is skew the frequency response a little. Innerfidelity also measured the impedance of the Momentums as higher than 18ohms: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentum.pdf So impedance concerns seem like a red herring.

Audio devices are not necessarily meant to run at full volume with all kinds of media/music. It's likely that the headphone amp is distorting a little at full volume on the S4 because (a) you are boosting the EQ, which is causing the amp to clip, (b) the music you are listening to is recorded with high levels and you don't have replay gain/volume leveling enabled, which is causing the amp to clip, (c) you've simply reached the limits of the built-in headphone amp for the source. So you could be hearing the distortion more with the Momentums. I don't ever expect to run my phone (Note 2) at full volume because of this. Usually better sound turned down a little.

I didn't see the V-Moda M-100s mentioned (perhaps I missed it when skimming the thread), but they seem a really good choice for your needs.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #23 of 27
Thank you all for your reply, you can navigate to this page www.3kshop.vn , this is a famoust headphone provide in my city, so maybe i am consider about ATH-M50 and Sen HD 598

@cel4145: i tried Momentum with my iphone 4s just for 10 seconds , and i am going to try this again this weekend to have a correct feeling about this
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #24 of 27
I just realized you tried the Momentums at the store with someone else's S4. Could easily be that their media player configuration was making the Momentums distort at high volumes. Definitely best to use your own phone :)

I see your store has Ultrasone HFI-580s. If you'd like some serious bass impact, try those out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back