Suggestion for the 1st fullsize headphone
Sep 2, 2013 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

phuctan139

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Yes this is my 1st post in this forum and feel sorry if it cost your time. I am a newbie about the Headphones ( and anything about the headphones) . I just got the iphone/ sansa clip zip for my music entertainment and now i am thinking very carefully to get a new headphone ( of course just for relax after a long time working) So I need a headphone with warm sound and a little bit bass , i am now consider to get Sen HD 598 is it ok? and do I need to get an AMP for it ( i just heard somebody told that but i can not really know what is AMP/DAC/DAP use for)

So i am very appreciate if you get me more information about my choice, thanks a lot for your time 

P/S: I am now reading a dozen of topics in forums to get a better knowledge but at this time i just need some quick introductions so please don't tell me like "everything is in this forums please search before ask" because i am doing it now and i want to know a short introduction from you! thanks again and hope you will reply my topic.

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 27
HD598 is a VERY good choice for relaxation - not only is the sound chilled out, but they're one of the most comfortable headphones around.
You don't NEED to buy an amp for these, but if you chose to buy one in future, you will get a little bit more performance out of it. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:
Hi all,

Yes this is my 1st post in this forum and feel sorry if it cost your time. I am a newbie about the Headphones ( and anything about the headphones) . I just got the iphone/ sansa clip zip for my music entertainment and now i am thinking very carefully to get a new headphone ( of course just for relax after a long time working) So I need a headphone with warm sound and a little bit bass , i am now consider to get Sen HD 598 is it ok? and do I need to get an AMP for it ( i just heard somebody told that but i can not really know what is AMP/DAC/DAP use for)

So i am very appreciate if you get me more information about my choice, thanks a lot for your time 

P/S: I am now reading a dozen of topics in forums to get a better knowledge but at this time i just need some quick introductions so please don't tell me like "everything is in this forums please search before ask" because i am doing it now and i want to know a short introduction from you! thanks again and hope you will reply my topic.

No problem, the Sen HD 598 is open, so if you are looking at option headphones, there are other options in that price range. Keep in mind an open headphone offers no isolation, so with an open headphone if some one YELLS at you you will hear it 

The headphones your looking at are 50ohm, so they should not need an amp. If the bass in them is... lacking than a headphone amp will help give then a little mo bass. Again since your looking at open headphones, the Beyerdyanmic Dt 990 is an excellent choice, it's a touch cheaper than the HD 598 and has a MUCH better build quality 

A good amp for both of those is the Fiio E11, as well 

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 27
Welcome to the forums phuctan139

Couple of questions so you can get better recommendations .....

• Are these just for use at home, or portable as well?
  • If portable - is size an issue, and are you looking for something over the ear, or is on-ear OK?
  • Do you need isolation?  Closed headphones limit sound leakage both out and in.  Open phones generally have a better sound but will leak a lot more.
  • What is your budget?
  • When you say warm sound with a bit of bass - can you elaborate on the type of music you normally listen to (this sometimes gives a baseline for recommendations).
  • Have you heard (tried) any other headphones - and if you have please list them and tell what you liked or didn't like about them.  If not - don't worry - the other questions should give an idea of what you're looking for.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:
Welcome to the forums phuctan139

Couple of questions so you can get better recommendations .....

• Are these just for use at home, or portable as well?
  • If portable - is size an issue, and are you looking for something over the ear, or is on-ear OK?
  • Do you need isolation?  Closed headphones limit sound leakage both out and in.  Open phones generally have a better sound but will leak a lot more.
  • What is your budget?
  • When you say warm sound with a bit of bass - can you elaborate on the type of music you normally listen to (this sometimes gives a baseline for recommendations).
  • Have you heard (tried) any other headphones - and if you have please list them and tell what you liked or didn't like about them.  If not - don't worry - the other questions should give an idea of what you're looking for.

Thank all for your reply,I will answer Brooko's questions

1.I think portable is my choice because i like to bring it when i travelling
2. I like over ear headphones,i feel more comfortable when i have something that cover my ear.And the size is not an issue for me.
3. uh hu.... that's hard to answer on this question, one thing when I put hearphone on is the sound of it, i dont care about it, so maybe it is not my big probem, i mean that no care about the isolation.
4.My budget is around 200-300
5. I usually hear RAP/HipHop/DJ music and a little bit POP
6. Actually ... no . Oh wait i just try about Sen HD 518 on Galaxy S4 on the store and feel the bass is ok and the sound look warm enough and a little bit later I dont know whether i have an issue with my ears or not but when i put on Sen Momentum and turn volume max ... it was so bad,it sounded like there is alot of noise when the volume turn to max.

If all of you said maybe HD 598 is best fone for me at this time and i will try this, beside that how do you feel about Sony MDR-1R ? In my country there is hard to find some headphones from  Beyerdyanmic .Again thanks all.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:
Thank all for your reply,I will answer Brooko's questions

1.I think portable is my choice because i like to bring it when i travelling
2. I like over ear headphones,i feel more comfortable when i have something that cover my ear.And the size is not an issue for me.
3. uh hu.... that's hard to answer on this question, one thing when I put hearphone on is the sound of it, i dont care about it, so maybe it is not my big probem, i mean that no care about the isolation.
4.My budget is around 200-300
5. I usually hear RAP/HipHop/DJ music and a little bit POP
6. Actually ... no . Oh wait i just try about Sen HD 518 on Galaxy S4 on the store and feel the bass is ok and the sound look warm enough and a little bit later I dont know whether i have an issue with my ears or not but when i put on Sen Momentum and turn volume max ... it was so bad,it sounded like there is alot of noise when the volume turn to max.

If all of you said maybe HD 598 is best fone for me at this time and i will try this, beside that how do you feel about Sony MDR-1R ? In my country there is hard to find some headphones from  Beyerdyanmic .Again thanks all.

I have no idea how "modern" phones sound, so hopefully some one else has an idea about that 

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 27
@phuctan139 - thanks for the answers.

Feel free to ignore the above poster - I use my iPhone4 for music all the time, and I've heard the Galaxy S4 (not too bad) - especially with a few tweaks.  It's supposed to have an output impedance of 4-8 ohms, so as long as you get a pair of headphones in the 32-50 ohm range - you should be good.

There is a thread on the S4 here (in case you need help) - http://www.head-fi.org/t/655546/samsung-galaxy-s-4
And this is a good one on increasing sound quality - http://www.phonearena.com/news/Make-your-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-sound-better-using-Adapt-Sound_id43210

From your answers - you're really looking for a closed portable circumaural headphone - with a warmish and bassy response.  What I'd call a 'consumer friendly' headphone. 

Although this thread hasn't been updated in a while - it may help : http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12  From that thread - take a look at the Phiaton MS400 and the Denon AH-D100.  Both would be suitable for your uses, are easily driven out of a portable player without the need for amping, and will give you a warm bassy 'consumer' sound.  From same thread - although they don't suit me - the Ath M50 should be considered.  They have good bass response, are quite clear, and definitely portable.

I have heard the Sony MDR1 (only a brief listen at an airport) - and again it would probably suit your listening preferences - full bodied and bassy.  Not really my ideal signature - but for you should work nicely.  It ran perfectly out of my iPhone4 - so powering it should not be an issue (from a portable).

This thread may also help - compares a few closed portable - http://www.head-fi.org/t/639948/review-closed-portable-circumaural-around-ear-headphone-comparison-m50-z1000-tma-1-s-momentum-ue6000-mdr-1r

I hope this helps.

EDIT - assuming that you're going to be using headphones whilst actually commuting, or in a noisy environment - I'd recommend sticking clear of open headphones.  If you will be mainly using them in quieter environments and leakage in and out is not a factor - then that opens up many more options.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Feel free to ignore the above poster -

He is So nice.

But that's good to hear... I don't like cell phones for much of anything byound well phone calls and google. Glad to hear they have some half decent sound! 

Did I mention the Koss Pro Dj 100 as well, I have listened to those and they had some nice bass as well, and are also very portable although the HD 598 you where looking at is open, open and closed headphones have a different bass response. Might be best to take Brooko's advice and try to improve the sound quality of your phone and maybe find a Best Buy to give some open headphones a listen to. Best buy also has the Sony MDR 1 for demo as well so that should help you fortify you decision to try open or closed headphones! 

Although, I stand by my Dt 990 recommendation. Granted it would need a $50 amp. but it has a very consumer friendly sound.  It has a very pronounced Mid bass boost, that does bring warmth to the mids, as mid tones are by nature often composed of a range of sounds from around 100hrz to 1000 or so. For example... male vocals have an excellent body to them with the DT 990. Still though an amp is need, something as inexpensive as the Fiio E11 will work well. In addition, it has a clarity that will be new to you, and you may appreicate that new level of detail in your music. But you'll need to decide if you want to carry an amp at all, and if you enjoy the open sound or the closed sound. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 27
@phuctan139 - another thread for you on more portables
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators

I really do trust Peter's (Macedonian Hero's) thoughts - he's tried and reviewed many different headphones, and is very experienced.

BTW - I noticed Mshenay's post was edited and completely changed.  In case anyone was wondering - and so anyone coming by doesn't think I'm a complete tool - my suggestion to ignore that post was based on the fact that it essentially said that the OP shouldn't use a smartphone as a DAP.  He's since changed it.  Bravo Mshenay - and you should try some of the modern phones at some stage - they may well surprise.  My iPhone 4 has very low impedance, and to me sounds better than the previous Cowon DAPs I used to own.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:
@phuctan139 - another thread for you on more portables
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators

I really do trust Peter's (Macedonian Hero's) thoughts - he's tried and reviewed many different headphones, and is very experienced.

BTW - I noticed Mshenay's post was edited and completely changed.  In case anyone was wondering - and so anyone coming by doesn't think I'm a complete tool - my suggestion to ignore that post was based on the fact that it essentially said that the OP shouldn't use a smartphone as a DAP.  He's since changed it.  Bravo Mshenay - and you should try some of the modern phones at some stage - they may well surprise.  My iPhone 4 has very low impedance, and to me sounds better than the previous Cowon DAPs I used to own.

Tehehe, caught red handed. 

I should really try new phones. I do bet they sound great. I'll honestly have to give my own Samsung phone a listen... it might suprise me as well. I've also heard some... bad things about Cowon players as well... a shame too I almost bought one my self 

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #11 of 27
I loved the iAudio7 I had - and the J3 wasn't bad either.  On SQ - the Cowons I've had/tried have been pretty good players.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:
I loved the iAudio7 I had - and the J3 wasn't bad either.  On SQ - the Cowons I've had/tried have been pretty good players.

They are very much like celluar devices I've noted. A good number of them running Andriod OS.  

Also in case I did not mention it before, one of my favorite and least expensive headphones I've heard [ever] where the Koss Pro Dj 200, some claim that the Koss TBSE-1 are remakes of the Pro Dj 200, [which ironically the TBSE 1 are 20 cheaper] so the TBSE 1 is another good option for a first headphone. 

But I enjoyed the sound of DJ 200 for it was very balanced. It compared to my own Dt 880 with it's tonal balances, and for $120 I would certainly get one my self if ever I needed one! Not to mention it has a tad more warmth I expected so it should not only do Hip Hop and Rap well, but when and if your branch into new music genres [which happens over time] it should work well for most other genres as well 

Hate to toute me own horn but wow... A dt 990 Pro 250 ohm on sale for $110 :O USED here at head fi. That's about the cheapest I've seen one go for! 

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #13 of 27
Thank you all for your reply

I'll try to read all of your reply but now I have some quick questions :

1.When choosing a headphone , what is the most feature of this that we care (impedance..... ) because i think maybe my phone is not suitable for Momentum, isn't it , I saw the impedance of Momentum is about 18.I forgot something , yesterday I tied the Sen Momentum with my 4s not Galaxy S4 , I just read some thread and I saw they said the input impedance of headphone is 8x (or more) than output impedance of source, so let calculate : my iphone 4s's impedance is 1.97, 1.97 x 8 =15.76 ohm and Momentum is 18ohm so what was cause the bad quality ( noise when max volume) ?

2.Another is how can we know what is perfect range of impedance, like Brooko said above "It's supposed to have an output impedance of 4-8 ohms, so as long as you get a pair of headphones in the 32-50 ohm range - you should be good" how can we know the range is suitable and will let the best quality sound.At this time I just only have 4s and Sansa clip zip for my music.

3.If my ouput impedance is 4-8 ohm and i would like to choose some headphones that is not in the range about 32-50 so the only way is use AMP, isn't it?

Sorry for so much "dump" question, i am continue reading to get a better knowledge now but you know my friends are not interested in "Music" that why i can't find someone who help me in the real life. So again so sorry and thank you all

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:
Thank you all for your reply

I'll try to read all of your reply but now I have some quick questions :

1.When choosing a headphone , what is the most feature of this that we care (impedance..... ) because i think maybe my phone is not suitable for Momentum, isn't it , I saw the impedance of Momentum is about 18.

2.Another is how can we know what is perfect range of impedance, like Brooko said above "It's supposed to have an output impedance of 4-8 ohms, so as long as you get a pair of headphones in the 32-50 ohm range - you should be good" how can we know the range is suitable and will let the best quality sound.At this time I just only have 4s and Sansa clip zip for my music.

3.If my ouput impedance is 4-8 ohm and i would like to choose some headphones that is not in the range about 32-50 so the only way is use AMP, isn't it?

Sorry for so much "dump" question, i am continue reading to get a better knowledge now but you know my friends are not interested in "Music" that why i can't find someone who help me in the real life. So again so sorry and thank you all

Impedance is resistance to power, or electricity. Your phone puts outs voltage though the headphone jack, I belive with too high of an Imepdance out you run into a power in efficiancy, which can lead to an un satisfacotry sound, un sastifactory meaning the bass get's bloated  

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:
1.When choosing a headphone , what is the most feature of this that we care (impedance..... ) because i think maybe my phone is not suitable for Momentum, isn't it , I saw the impedance of Momentum is about 18.I forgot something , yesterday I tied the Sen Momentum with my 4s not Galaxy S4 , I just read some thread and I saw they said the input impedance of headphone is 8x (or more) than output impedance of source, so let calculate : my iphone 4s's impedance is 1.97, 1.97 x 8 =15.76 ohm and Momentum is 18ohm so what was cause the bad quality ( noise when max volume) ?

Actually what you're looking for is no less than a 1:8 impedance match - as it can affect the damping factor.  Basically this can mess with the frequency curve if the damping factor is too small.  In easy to understand terms, it can cause the headphone to either under-represent or over-represent parts of the normal frequency.  An example of this is the K701 where an incorrect damping factor can audibly change the bass response.  In your case - your 4S has under 2 ohms output impedance - so any headphone over 16 ohms should be good - including the Momentum.  Using the Galaxy S4 though - if the Momentum is 18 ohms - may not be such a good idea (would pay to check with Sennheiser - they'll know if it's likely to change or not).

The 1:8 rule is a general (safe) rule of thumb.  Depending on the headphone - this factor could be less.  But for your set-up ....
4S is under 2 ohms so pretty much any headphone will be OK (as long as the 4S can power it)
Clip Zip is approx 1 ohm so again pretty much any headphone will be OK (as long as the Clip Zip can power it)
**Sorry - originally I thought you were talking about the Galaxy S4 - I should have read initial post better**

If your pout put impedance is 4-8 ohm, and you're trying to run a headphone with known frequency issues with damping that is lower impedance than the 1:8 rule - then adding an amp with a low impedance out is one way of correcting the damping mismatch. 

No problems - only dumb question as far as I am concerned is the one you don't actually ask.  Better to inquire - there is always someone here willing to help.  BTW - this thread may help with understanding damping factor (http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-matching-basics-you-need-to-know)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back