Suggestion for newbie to pair with Fiio E10
Apr 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

nameBrandon

New Head-Fier
TL;DR
Best cans <$200 for beginner, non-bass-head, that would be complimentary with the Fiio E10.

Actual words
A while back I tested out some NC over-the-ear units. I loved the sound of the Sennheiser PXC-450, but had some issues with them (tight fit around the temples, especially with glasses, and not up to Bose NC tech). Ultimately I went with the Bose QC15, and those work great for flights, long car-rides, etc.. However, I'm still chasing that great sound from the PXC-450's, so I'm looking for a set for regular use at the computer.

I wast to use the Fiio E10 for a couple of reasons.
  1. My PC has only the motherboard sound, which is so-so
  2. It (E10) has a line out, that I can hook into PC speakers. I work from home, and I need to hear 'dings' and 'pings' from email /IM even when the headphones are not on my head, and I don't want to switch between soundcards / devices, etc..

So what I'm looking for are a good set of over the ear (jury is still out on open/closed, but I'm leaning towards closed as even though I'm in my office, I can still hear my wife watching TV, etc.. and she might be able to hear my music) cans that will sound similar or better than the PCX-450's. I know "better" is subjective, and unfortunately my audio vocab isn't up to par. I liked how I could hear the faint slide of fingers on the guitar strings, and sort of positional feeling I got from the PXC-450's.. I just felt like I could hear things, small details, I'd never heard before. I can kind of hear those things with the QC15, but I have to strain to hear them, with the Senn PXC-450 they were just there.

That being said, I listen to Indie/Folk/Rock/Country/some Rap.. so all over the board, but I'm not a bass-head by any means.

Budget for the cans by themselves (not including Fiio E10) < $200.

Is there a good set out there for beginners (saw posts about ATH-M50, Pro DJ-100?) that would still get any additional benefit from the Fiio E10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back