Suggestion for fullsize/portable ~400$
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

momopantsu

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here so if this thread is redundant please forgive me
wink.gif
. Since I've started into the headphone world without any experiences so I would like to ask you guys some recommendation for a fullsize/portable headphone (around 400$).

My current targets are: ATH ESW9A, Grado Sr325is, Sennheiser HD 25-1-II Adidas (any differences with the original version ?) and so far are some hungry-power headphones like AKG 701 or the HE-400.

About sources, I usually play music through my laptop or android phone and I'm going to get my Fiio X3 soon. My favourable genres are: Rock, Pop and some time is Classic (specifically is Piano only, not the Orchestra stuffs...) and Electronic/Dance. Any suggestions besides my currents targets mentioned above ? Thanks in advance for your help
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Hello and welcome!

Have you considered the Sennheiser momentum? i notice they have released an on-ear version which sounds like a good alternative to the HD-25's. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 13
Hello jackwess,

Thanks for your recommendation. As I remember they released Amperior and Momentum which are both portable. May I know if there are any dramatic differences between those two models ? ( since their price are quite the same 
biggrin.gif
). I have owned a pair or Sennheiser for years ago and kinda love their sound's signature.

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 13
Amperior are more aggressive sounding headphones than the momentum, which have a "Relaxed/smoother" sound, aimed for different kinds of music. 

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 13
Denon D600

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 13
AKG 701 and HE-400 are very good headphones but there's no way they can be used portable lol. My favourite portable over-ear headphones, in order of most neutral to most bassy, would be as follows: KEF M500, Sennheiser Momentum, PSB M2U/M4U, Denon D600, M-100

Try to audition one or two of them and then decide whether you want more or less neutrality

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 13
Grados, Alessandro, HE-400, AKG 701--these are open headphones, and open headphones are a poor choice for portability because they have zero isolation. You'll be able to easily hear what's going on around you, and people around you can easily hear what you are listening to.

For portability, you need closed on ear or closed over ear headphones.

However, open headphones generally have a much bigger soundstage than closed headphones. Since you are new to getting into headphones, could be worthwhile to go with a set of closed, portable headphones, and then an open set for home use.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 13
Hello cel4145

Many thanks for your advice my friend
wink.gif
. May I ask you if portable headphones needed to be paired with amps ? I'm thinking about grado/alessandro cans because they seems to be good without amps, though they are really loud as you mentioned above.....

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #12 of 13
Hello cel4145

Many thanks for your advice my friend
wink.gif

. May I ask you if portable headphones needed to be paired with amps ? I'm thinking about grado/alessandro cans because they seems to be good without amps, though they are really loud as you mentioned above.....

I like Grados A LOT. And you are right. They will do very well with a laptop or phone without an amp. You could get the Grado SR80i for $100.

Then buy a set of portables. As MrTechAgent mentioned, the Amperiors are only $219 at the moment, which is an upgraded version of the HD 25-1-II. That's a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back