Suggestion for cheap flexable 26/28 awg wire.
Aug 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 10
I have just been looking at this exact question.

My findings are for

Dual entry cable replacement go for Mogami 2893 which is quad 26awg and 4.8mm OD.

For single cable entry I am using Mogami 3031 which is 28awg and 2.8mm OD for my Sennheiser HD428's that I picked up for $25 shipped :)

Hope that helps!

The cheapest place I found to order is http://www.redco.com

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 10
If you want cheap wire, use stripped down Mogami W2893.  26AWG, very flexible.  The only down side is if you want only 1 or 2 colors in your wires without sleeving them you will have to buy 2-4x as much wire since each of the 4 conductors are coated in a different color.

You could also look at some wire like this:

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/index1/Litz-Wire-Supplier.html

Scroll down to [size=large]
Part # 220/44-Litz-10 --- 220/44 Litz Wire Silk Served Per 10 ft. Price $5.25 ​
[/size]

Never used it, but I've seen it recommended.

Another thought, I am gearing up to recable my HD650s and Redco seems to sell canare, mogami, and their own house brand. At 40 cents per foot for what seems very similar to $.85 mogami. Might get a 15ft stretch just to check it out. 

I like both.

One of the differences in price comes from the shielding. Mogami uses a more expensive copper weave. Since you're stripping it off, there won't be much of a difference.

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 10
If you have any extra cat-5 network cables laying around, hack one of those open and see if the wire inside will work for you.  If it will work (in this instance it would seem that flexibility is the biggest factor), well then, my friend, you just scored some free wire.  If it doesn't, you still have some 26awg to play around with.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
If you have any extra cat-5 network cables laying around, hack one of those open and see if the wire inside will work for you.  If it will work (in this instance it would seem that flexibility is the biggest factor), well then, my friend, you just scored some free wire.  If it doesn't, you still have some 26awg to play around with.

these fit the bill for price, and close on gauge (24 awg i think), but they are generally solid core or low strand count and wrapped in stiff pvc that is prone to crack.  Good option for cable that won't be doing a lot of moving, and you can't beat free... 

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
these fit the bill for price, and close on gauge (24 awg i think), but they are generally solid core or low strand count and wrapped in stiff pvc that is prone to crack.  Good option for cable that won't be doing a lot of moving, and you can't beat free... 

This is all true, which is why I stated to see if it worked.  Some, and I definitely stress the word "some," cat5 patch cables are made with a rubberized insulation with high strand counts, they're designed to be moved around while in use.  They are rare to just have randomly laying around, but sometimes you get lucky!

Other avenues to pursue would be:

cables from wall wart power supplies
usb cables
broken video game controllers
keyboard/mouse cables

Make your old things your new things!!!

Once again, these cables might not work for you, but at worst you'll have bundles of assorted wire, and you'll always need that.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

This is all true, which is why I stated to see if it worked.  Some, and I definitely stress the word "some," cat5 patch cables are made with a rubberized insulation with high strand counts, they're designed to be moved around while in use.  They are rare to just have randomly laying around, but sometimes you get lucky!

Other avenues to pursue would be:

cables from wall wart power supplies
usb cables
broken video game controllers
keyboard/mouse cables

Make your old things your new things!!!

Once again, these cables might not work for you, but at worst you'll have bundles of assorted wire, and you'll always need that.

very nice! you're making me want to tear open some wire jackets and have a look.

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 10
There is also a specific thread for this kind of question: http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread

You might get more opinions and inspiration there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back