Suggested Media Phone
Aug 17, 2009 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

talisman42

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm looking to replace my mobile phone (Verizon) in couple months. I've been happy with the Sansa Clip, but I'd like to know some of your recommendations.

Thanks

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 6
You'll probably get a lot of recommendations for the iPhone. You'd have to change carriers, but AT&T is reasonably OK. I've been a lot happier with the iPhone itself. Internet browsing is easy (I'm posting from it right now, at my favorite dive bar
smily_headphones1.gif
) and I like the iPod and video capability, too. The apps are indispensable - being able to have a HP 12C on me at all times is terrific. I also use several other apps extensively.

As a new customer, you'd get a good deal on the 3G or 3GS, too.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 6
I believe the 3GS, apart from being the best music phone in history, is also a little bit better than the 3G, I believe. Therefore I recommend you shell out for the more expensive model in this case. The Pre isn't a really good contender for music quality I am afraid, although I have not heard it, it's not said to be extremely good in sound quality.

Yes, it isn't a perfect phone, but it easily outshines the Touch 2G and the clip is very comparable to it in my opinion.
All of this, actually, is my opinion.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 6
I just bought my wife and daughters LG Rhythm's. The sound quality and interface is actually quite good. I would have no problem relying on the Rhythm when I'm away from home (just throw some buds in my pocket).

Service is US Cellular. As far as phone service through US Cellular, it's been excellent for the 10 years we've been with them. Customer service has been outstanding.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 6
If you get good AT&T coverage in your area the iPhone is the way to go. It's intuitive, powerful, and even sounds decent.

I think the 3GS is the way to go. I've owned every generation of iPhone and the 3GS felt like the biggest upgrade to me. Its faster CPU/GPU and more RAM make it feel extremely snappy when launching apps and browsing complex web sites. And having 32GB of storage ($299) means that all the music I care about fits (256kbps), with room to spare for apps and video.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 3GS could even support HD output with a software update. I've already confirmed that it can scale down and play HD podcasts smoothly. It would be interesting to see if Apple already has the 3GS ready to compete with the Zune HD.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 6
I'd have to go w/the iPhone 3GS myself, as nothing can compare to the media and game play/app experience. It's #1 for a reason, and I'd be damned to find a better package. I have a BB Storm, and I regret getting it. The media player does have an edge on SQ, but it's severely lacking in most other areas. It's great for a business use, but sux otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back