Suggest some metal for me (please read the first post for rules)
Oct 30, 2007 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

seals

100+ Head-Fier
Let me start off by saying that I HATE constant screaming/growling vocals, so none of that. I have Disturbed's latest album "Ten Thousand Fists" and like it (if that helps any). Please keep in mind I want NO anti-Christian lyrics. As a side note, I also like super fast bass drums being played as they really sound awsome on my cans. Thanks for any suggestions.

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 22
Atreyu- The Curse

Avenged Sevenfold- Waking the Fallen

Chimaira - all releases (though at the heavy end of what I've suggested so far)

Trivium- all releases (the current one is the least "metal", but still great hard rock)

Black Sabbath- Symptom of the Universe

Black Label Society- all releases

Pantera- Greatest 2 disc set

Oct 30, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by seals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me start off by saying that I HATE constant screaming/growling vocals, so none of that. I have Disturbed's latest album "Ten Thousand Fists" and like it (if that helps any). Please keep in mind I want NO anti-Christian lyrics. As a side note, I also like super fast bass drums being played as they really sound awsome on my cans. Thanks for any suggestions.

Super fast guitar/drums?
Try some Mastodon.

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 22
I'm going to give you a bunch of different options. There is a slim chance that you'll actually like any/all of it, because it doesn't sound a whole lot like Disturbed. But it does have fast drum and guitar, and nothing that I listen to regularly is anti-Christian.

The vocalist from 3 Inches of Blood has a 80s-metal voice to him.

I can't believe I'm recommending it, but Shadows Fall has a lot of good metal with a non-screaming vocalist. I just can't stand his voice.

Also, Killswitch Engage's newest album has the least amount of screaming, and you might like trying out their style as well.

I second Chimaira as a recommendation as well, although again, the newer the album the less screaming there will be.

Also check out Every Time I Die for a different metal sound, more reminiscent of Southern Rock but with metal/hardcore roots. "The Big Dirty" is their latest release and has the most vocal variation. Older albums will be almost purely screaming. "Gutter Phenomenon" has a different vocal sound to it. Check out the song "The New Black." You will like the cowbell.

And for more southern rock/metal and less hardcore roots, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster are also a good option.

Swedish metal often has a lot of scratchy vocals, but In Flames' vocalist would probably be the most tolerable for you, and their newer album "Come Clarity" again would be the best one to check out for cleanest vocals.

For a more interesting take at metal, in this case it could probably be considered mathcore, Protest the Hero is a great canadian band with clean vocals and really really fast pace changes and instrumentation.
Pure Metalcore, which may not be what you are looking for, has more options that I could recommend to you. All That Remains' album "The Fall of Ideals" might be a good start.

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this doesn't follow your rules but you should give it a shot anyhow.

wintersun

"Jesus Christ, You don't know the rules?!"

"There are certain rules you must abide by in order to successfully survive a metal recommendation thread"
evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

p.s. any thin lizzy any good to you?

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 22
Dragonforce - "extreme power metal". Classic rock vocals and blazing fast speed. " Through the Fire and Flames" from Inhuman Rampage is good song to start with if you've never heard them. The guitar solo's are insane.

Clutch
- Southern metal sound, the word groove comes to mind. Very good. Two tracks that stand out (to me) are "Big News I" and "Rock and Roll Outlaw" from their self titled album

Lacuna Coil
- from Italy, male and female singers.

System Of A Down (they are slightly political, so religion may be a subject, but they aren't anti religious)

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Jesus Christ, You don't know the rules?!"

"There are certain rules you must abide by in order to successfully survive a metal recommendation thread"
evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

p.s. any thin lizzy any good to you?

but it's metal. rules are meant to be broken...

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 22
Avantasia: the metal opera (also Edguy)

Dragonforce is pretty good too.

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KillersAreQuiet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
System Of A Down (they are slightly political, so religion may be a subject, but they aren't anti religious)

There's the understatement of the year.
How about some Pantera?
The "best of" double disc set is pretty good.

I know, too mainstream?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back