Suggest me new speakers.
Jul 11, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 10
Do you like your current setup? What speakers are they?

I ask because deteriorating surround != death. Recently, a pair of Small Advent speakers my Dad has had their 8" woofers' surrounds so badly deteriorated that the drivers were literally making knocking sounds as they moved. He thought they were done for and shelved them, but I told him to look into having the surrounds re-done...

You can do this yourself, but we had it done at a professional audio shop. Some speakers (including the Small Advents) still have foam kits available, because there is a demand for this as the speakers pass a certain age. The entire thing cost less than 60 bucks, including materials and labor, for both speakers and they now sound as good as new.

If you weren't looking to upgrade already, you may well be able to have those repaired for cheaper than the budget you are quoting. If you aren't a stickler for original parts (my Dad was) you can get cheaper and longer-lasting butyl rubber surrounds instead of the foam type, which won't degrade until your grandchildren's grandchildren are having grandchildren.

Does that sound at all interesting, or were you going to upgrade anyway?

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 10
That sounds like an idea to consider. On the back of the speakers it says DLK-PN1032 so I am going to take a stab in the dark and say thats the speaker they are. We are still open to upgrading to though.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 10
at $200 for 4 speakers, you're going to have a really tough time finding something decent sounding.

the only thing i could recommend are the Insignia speakers at Best Buy, which got some rave reviews awhile back. of course, that was back when they were $50/pair (dipping down to $35 at one point). now at $72/pair, they're less of a bargain, but still pretty cheap.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 10
You would be better off to get 2 decent speakers first and enjoy stereo sound. You can add 2 less expensive speakers for the less critical rear at a later time.

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 10
I'm going to agree with tbonner1 and second the stereo recommendation. I originally planned to get a full surround setup, but I didn't have the budget for it... ended up getting some good mains and planned on filling it in later.

Now I'm not sure I ever will... which isn't to say that 2ch setups are for everybody, just that they are certainly enjoyable.

If DLK is the brand of the speakers, this thread may be of assistance: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ead.php?t=4911, but I can't find anything about a model PN1032; if they aren't DLK speakers you would be best served by bringing them into a repair shop and getting a quote. How big are these things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back