Sugden vs MPX3?
Aug 22, 2003 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AlphaHX

100+ Head-Fier
i posted awhile ago that i had my mind set on the mpx3 but i have a dilemma now that ive heard my friend's sugden again. it was a lot better than i remembered and its not all that fatiguing. i guess when i first listened to it, it wasnt burnt in all the way. but now im considering getting the sugden and then getting the mod but im wondering if that would be better than the mpx3. i would like to hear some opinion of someone whos heard both before.

basically im just wondering how a stock sugden/modded sugden would hold up against the mpx3 stock tubes/upgraded tubes.

which one would be better stock and which one could sound better in the long run?

Aug 22, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 6
I've not heard either amp but I'd just throw out there that you might consider what source you will have behind the amp.

EDIT- corrected by tom.

Aug 23, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 6
Highwaystar has a mpx3 as well as a carlo modded sudgen he would be the one to ask.
I owned a stock sudgen and had a mpx3 for a couple of weeks to audition,In my opinion the mpx3 wins hands down over the stock sudgen But it did have sylvania
vt231s in it. Heard the carlo modded sudgen but only briefly, not enough to post a valid comparison.

Aug 24, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 6
I don't think that the Singlepower amps demand an excellent source as much as they deserve one.

Aug 24, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 6
The MPX-3 is a much better amp than the stock Sugden, IMO. The modded one is a better amp, but I only heard it briefly (not enough for comparative evaluation).

Sudgen + mods put you up in the price range of the Supra.

Aug 25, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 6
thanx guys! i guess its back to the mpx3...
i cant wait to get the mpx3 if it seems undisputely better than the sugden!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back