Sugden Headmaster vs. Headroom MOH review
May 6, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #46 of 101
Some misc. comments (I just hate not being in the battle sometimes)...

The sample size is much larger than one. Thus far, I've read opinions from probably 15 people who have had or heard the Headmaster. I think two were slanted toward negative (or that is to say, unfavorable compared to the MOH). 2:15. Not bad. Maybe I'll make it 3, who knows.

The R10 is probably a great headphone. I think the W2002 is a great headphone and that the R10 has more in common with it than the R10 owners care to admit. (Cantered drivers, similar design goals, peaky treble, etc.--not just "wooden enclosures" that get so easily dismissed.) It's because of this that although I'd probably admire the R10, it's probably not a sound I'm looking for.

I found some qualities I like in the HD600. It's not "there" yet, but for me, it's closer than most everything else in most ways. There's always an opportunity cost.

As for the brightness switch on the Max/MOH, I think I may still not quite have the idea on it yet. I'm not sure it EQ's so much as, from what I gather, it just scales the rolloff. Since a lot of people find headphones fatiguing, I can understand why this is a feature a lot of people want. And from the sounds of it, it's somewhat necessary to correct for the effects of their Crossfeed filter. Jan's Crossfeed doesn't come across as completely neutral to me either, so it's maybe a little unfair to blame Headroom for trying to compensate for the problems the crossfeed introduces.

May 6, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #47 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
No, I haven't heard the R10s. I'm just making logical conclusions from things posted here in this thread, and I've said that a few times. Do you have any doubt that the R10s are more transparent than the HD600s? They're probably more transparent than the etys, but I don't know that for sure.

I have no idea if they're more transparent than the HD-600s or the Etymotics or not -- I haven't heard the R10s.

May 6, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #48 of 101
There are other headphones which I use routinely which I consider to be significantly more transparent than the stock HD-600s, further there are others here who have HD-600s coupled with replacement upgrade cables like the Clou's, Cardas, and the like, all of which result in a more transparent presentation than the stock HD-600, and in all cases that I am aware of there has been no, I repeat, NO report of any "reverb" like effect associated with the HeadRoom crossfeed.

Now, an explanation of the crossfeed process on tonal characteristics and the "bright" filter;
The crossfeed process does more than "blend" the L&R information together. It is an approximation of what happens acoustically in a normal soundfield with the "average" head and ears. The outer ear not only directs sound but due to obstruction and reflection, it also "filters" the sound that we hear. Typically, the pinna or auricle of our ears is responsible for creating a slight notch in our hearing in the 4-6kHz region. This, along with the stereo information, helps our brains to localize sound as either coming from in front, to the side, or behind us. The crossfeed processor implements this tone alteration along with the actual delayed crossfeed to opposite ears. This helps trick our brains into frontalizing the sound field rather than it remaining in the center of our heads. The "bright" filter adds a couple db boost to the highs to overcompensate for far field response characteristics when the xfeed process is on.
Depending upon the source CD and the headphones I'm using, I often find it completely unnecessary to use the bright filter at all, and under other circumstances, it sounds more natural to me to use it. So I do what sounds best under the circumstances and I appreciate the flexibility of it all!

Hope this helps.
Cheers!

May 6, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #49 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

I'm betting it doesn't.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #50 of 101
If you find a system that you love, why stray? At the upper class level of headphones and such, doesn't it all come down to personal preference? Afterall, arn't you supposed to enjoy what you buy instead of bickering about its flaws and why something else is better?

I have very little experience with other equipment, but feel very strongly that I know exactly what I want to get. After some time after I buy the amp of my choice, it may not turn out so magical, but hey, at least I would have found that it wasn't for me afterall...

Will I try the Sony R10 or Grado HP-1 someday? Perhaps, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. I may have advocated earlier that the HD600 are the best headphones, but that was jokingly. I am not going to push that nonsense on anybody. I do feel that from the headphones that I have tried, they are by far the best cans for myself.

On topic: Vert, nice review
wink.gif
, I like how you actually make sense and don't bore me.
tongue.gif
:double thumbs up:
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #51 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by DeanA

I'm betting it doesn't.
very_evil_smiley.gif

hehe, I should probably bet with you Dean!
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif

May 6, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #52 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

I'm sure the fact that people paid $2500-$4000 for them has a bit to do with their impression
evil_smiley.gif

So, I typed out all those big long statements describing how the R10s sound because my wallet was tapping on my shoulder and saying "hey mister, I'm feeling a little empty", and because I'm about to end up living out on the streets. Ok, if you say so.
rolleyes.gif

Why should how much I paid for something have anything to do with this? If what you say were true, then I would never trust a single Headroom Max review ever. How do I know the reviews aren't biased because somebody just ripped $1777 out of their bank accounts, and they feel that they just have to defend their new toy?

I like the R10s for what they do. I had a prime chance to sell them a month ago if I truly didn't like them, heck right alongside the big review that you can call a "sales pitch" if you feel like accusing me of that even
rolleyes.gif
, and I withdrew them... because I like the way they sound. I'm not living in the streets so why should the R10's price factor in to what I think about their sound? If I were living in the streets and the R10's sound was a clear disappointment, then sure. But that's not the case.

If I really didn't like the R10's sound, I would not have messed around with them, believe me. They would've been gone long ago, and I'd be sitting here instead with Stax Omega IIs.

May 6, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #53 of 101
Quote:

MacDEF, you quoted me out of context... right after I said that about it being better than the Max, I said this:

Understood, flumpus, sorry if it seemed like I didn't
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #55 of 101
Quote:

First, what's the difference between EQ'ing a headphone to make up for its flaws and doing the Crossfeed/"Brightness Filter" (a fancy word for EQ)?

Crossfeed is anything but EQ. EQ is increasing or decreasing certain frequencies to account for problems with those frequencies. Crossfeed is much more complex than that, and in fact doesn't purposely increase or decrease ANY frequencies. The brightness filter by itself might be considered "EQ" but it is there to counteract one characteristic of the crossfeed filter, not flaws in the headphone.

Quote:

its ridiculous (other than for the sake of benefitting a normal listener, who only had HD600s) to listen to the crossfeed with a less transparent headphone, when you have the best dynamic headphone available at your disposal.

Not sure I understand what you're saying here. Your statement is based on two assumptions that have not been proven. First, and most obviously, the assumption that the R10 is the world's best dynamic headphone is not an established fact. It's a strongly held opinion by those who own them, but that's about it.

More importantly, the contention that crossfeed works better on the HD600 because they're "not truly" transparent, while it doesn't work on the R10 because the R10's ruthless transparency shows the "true" character of crossfeed, doesn't hold up to logic. If this was the case, Ety's would sound equally bad with crossfeed. The AKG K501 and K1000 are also incredibly "transparent" headphones -- yet they both sound great with crossfeed.

The inevitable response from someone is going to be "the R10 are just better than all these headphones." Yet if "better" equates to "works less well with crossfeed," then logically headphones like HD600, Etys, RS1, K1000, K501, etc. would all work "less well" with HeadRoom's crossfeed than less headphones -- but they don't.

Given that some really great transparent headphones sound great with the crossfeed in question, and that there is no demostrably linear relationship between the "quality" of a headphone and its compatibility (or lack thereof) with HeadRoom's crossfeed feature, a more supportable theory is that there is something about the R10 that doesn't like crossfeed, not that it is "too good" for crossfeed.

Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
The sample size is much larger than one. Thus far, I've read opinions from probably 15 people who have had or heard the Headmaster. I think two were slanted toward negative (or that is to say, unfavorable compared to the MOH). 2:15. Not bad. Maybe I'll make it 3, who knows.

Kelly, to clarify, the "sample size" in question is not the number of people who have heard the Sugden -- in fact, almost everyone who has heard it likes it a lot, as you said. By "sample size" I was referring to statements made about the Sugden vs. the MOH, which were based on only this review.

Again, I'm saying this as a point of methodology, not as a dig on the Sugden. I've long said that I would love to get my hands on a Sugden
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
So, I typed out all those big long statements describing how the R10s sound because my wallet was tapping on my shoulder and saying "hey mister, I'm feeling a little empty", and because I'm about to end up living out on the streets. Ok, if you say so.
rolleyes.gif

I knew that post would generate a reply
wink.gif
Vert, that wasn't a personal attack on you or your judgement; it was a general observation on how human beings perceive items that were obtained at a relatively high cost (monetary or otherwise). See below...

Quote:

Why should how much I paid for something have anything to do with this?

Because, methodologically speaking, it's impossible to rule that factor out.

Seriously, think about this: two friends each buy a pair of headphones. One spends $300 and the other spends $3000. Consider for a moment if the headphones are actually sonically identical in every way. In a double-blind test, neither person would be able to tell the difference. But in a "visible" test, the owner of the $3000 headphone will prefer his headphone in the vast majority of cases. The other person may prefer one or the other. This is a pretty well-established concept in the research arena. When people spend a lot of money on something, they assume it is going to provide them with a certain amount of added return over a cheaper item. This causes them to subconsciously like their item more than they would if they got the item for free. This phenomenon also occurs when the "cost" is emotional or physical.

So I was simply making the obvious point -- that people who own a headphone that costs $3000 are going to expect, subconsciously or consciously, that they are getting a better headphone than someone who spends $300.

Now, how much of your, or anyone else's, peception of the "quality" of these headphones is due to the above factor, and how much is due to them actually being significantly better than any other headphone, is unknown. It could be that your views are based 99.9% on objective impressions, and only .1% on subconsciously wanting them to be that good. Or it could be 50-50, or 10-90. Nobody knows. But it's definitely something that exists.

Anyways, that sentence I wrote that you quoted was just an afterthought added to the end of my main statement -- that it's quite possible that the R10 are just like any other "high-end" headphone: some people like them a lot, and own them, others don't.

Quote:

If what you say were true, then I would never trust a single Headroom Max review ever. How do I know the reviews aren't biased because somebody just ripped $1777 out of their bank accounts, and they feel that they just have to defend their new toy?

You don't
wink.gif
The point applies here, as well.

Quote:

I like the R10s for what they do.

Vert, no one's questioning that fact, or your right to like them
smily_headphones1.gif
In fact, I believe that you personally like them a great deal, and that they seem to have what you're looking for. My statement was a general one that includes all R10 owners who give them glowing reviews.

Quote:

I had a prime chance to sell them a month ago if I truly didn't like them, heck right alongside the big review that you can call a "sales pitch" if you feel like accusing me of that even
rolleyes.gif

Woah, hold on, Vert... I think you're taking this wrong. It wasn't a personal attack. Like I said, you can say the same thing to me about the Max, and it will be just as valid
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #56 of 101
To paraphrase Mac: "People who buy expensive **** tend to want to justify their expensive **** so they psychosomatically make them sound better even if it's not better."

In general, I agree. People do that a lot. Thus Bose and Sony are still in business.

Vertigo, on the other hand, doesn't fit the profile because he, like me, seems pretty willing to say, "hm, this is overrated", cut his losses, post it for sale and move on.

Now I can think of plenty of other ways to argue with Vertigo and I tend to pretty regularly, I just think this particular point doesn't apply to him. If he didn't really think the R10 was better/more enjoyable to him than other headphones, they'd be gone.

May 6, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #57 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
To paraphrase Mac: "People who buy expensive **** tend to want to justify their expensive **** so they psychosomatically make them sound better even if it's not better."

LOL, pretty close -- I would take out the "even if it's not better" part (since that's not always the case), but pretty close
wink.gif

Quote:

Vertigo, on the other hand, doesn't fit the profile because he, like me, seems pretty willing to say, "hm, this is overrated", cut his losses, post it for sale and move on.

I pretty much agree with you there, too, which is why I clarified that in my last post
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #58 of 101
Quote:

No, I haven't heard the R10s. I'm just making logical conclusions from things posted here in this thread, and I've said that a few times. Do you have any doubt that the R10s are more transparent than the HD600s? They're probably more transparent than the etys, but I don't know that for sure.

when will people learn that you can't do this? There's nothing logical about making these conclusions, flumpus. I mean, according to you, I could say that my AKGs are telling me what the MG head sounds like, period. and according to my AKGs, the MG head sounds like crap. Do you see how that doesn't work? That's basically your argument regarding the R10s and crossfeed, except that I've heard the K501s paired with the MG Head.

May 6, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #59 of 101
Its actually quite logical Neruda. From what was said in this thread and things Vertigo has said about the R10s, they're extrememly natural and transparent. Therefore, they'll tell you what an amp sounds like. I don't claim to have heard the R10s, and I'm not making claims that I have. If the K501s were as natural and transparent as the R10s, making you could compare your story with the MG Head and Vert's with the Sugden and Max.

May 6, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #60 of 101
There still seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding regarding crossfeed. HeadRoom Crossfeed, by design, does impose some equalization to the signal. It's by design, not by accident. If you're interested, read on...
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
An explanation of the crossfeed process on tonal characteristics and the "bright" filter;
The crossfeed process does more than "blend" the L&R information together. It is an approximation of what happens acoustically in a normal soundfield (not headphone listening) with the "average" head and ears.

The outer ear not only directs sound, but due to obstruction and reflection, it also "filters" the sound that we hear. Typically, the pinna or auricle of our ears is responsible for creating a slight notch in our hearing in the 4-6kHz region for sounds coming from in front of us. This, along with the stereo information, helps our brains to localize sound as either coming from in front, to the side, or behind us.

The crossfeed processor implements this tonal alteration along with the actual delayed crossfeed to opposite ears. This helps trick our brains into frontalizing the sound field rather than it remaining in the center of our heads.

The "bright" filter adds a couple db boost to the highs to overcompensate for far field response characteristics (natural hf loss) when the crossfeed process is on.

Depending upon the source CD and the headphones I'm using, I often find it completely unnecessary to use the bright filter at all, and under other circumstances, it sounds more natural to me to use it. So I do what sounds best under the circumstances and I appreciate the flexibility of it all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back