Sugden Headmaster VS. Emmeline HR-2
May 12, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 31
make sure you read markl's review thread on the HR-2.

Tuberoller's review

Markl says here"
Quote:

Instead of the Sugden, take a look at the Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2 for solid state bliss. It's $875 in U.S. dollars so less for you in pounds. Ray Samuels can have the power supply mod-ed for Euro power standard. The HR-2 is a fantastic amp, very high-bandwidth, high resolution amp

found in this thread

May 12, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 31
Also read what Jude has to say about the Emmeline. This amp is very responsive to op amp changes and you can really tailor the sound to your liking. Ray has built all of his amps with the op amps socketed so that there is no soldering involved in changing them. Here are Jude's comments:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=33958

May 12, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 31
There's a member here who used to own the Headmaster, now owns HR-2. Uses with his R10s. He is really better qualified to answer specifically. I based the post quoted based on my personal experience with the HR-2 (OK, I like it so sue me
biggrin.gif
), and this other person's experience.

Mark

May 13, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 31
I owned the Headmaster. A very nuetral amp. A very good preamp. I used it with my Grado SR 225s, HD 600s, A 1000s, and the Sony R 10s. In my mind, it is the prettiest solid state amp on earth. I would recommend to anyone, but not at the 850.00 price tag. Now that the Emmeline is on the market for the same price, it is has set the new standard for me. The HR-2 has really made my R 10s wake up. Most of my cds sound a lot better. More bite, more treble energy, which is what I was lacking with the R 10s before. If you can pick up the Sugden for 600 or less, I would say go for it. However, if it is in your budget get the HR-2. You can't go wrong. From my experience the HR-2 is a winner and I could not be happier.

May 14, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 31
i heard the sugden is a lot better than the hr-2. i owned the sugden but haven't heard the hr-2 and don't really care to. i was really happy with the sugden in most respects, but i just needed to sell it and move on to other things. it is very neutral and smooth and really made my hp-1, hd600/cardas, rs-1 sing without difficulty. the high end doesn't extend too far, and the bass is light and tight with a silky midrange.

for the price, i'd also consider a gilmore. it's an actual design, not just something taken from an opamp pdf!

May 14, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i heard the sugden is a lot better than the hr-2. i owned the sugden but haven't heard the hr-2 and don't really care to. i was really happy with the sugden in most respects, but i just needed to sell it and move on to other things. it is very neutral and smooth and really made my hp-1, hd600/cardas, rs-1 sing without difficulty. the high end doesn't extend too far, and the bass is light and tight with a silky midrange.

for the price, i'd also consider a gilmore. it's an actual design, not just something taken from an opamp pdf!

Where did you hear this? Everyone at the Chi-town meet thought the HR-2 was better than the Sudgen. Myself, I think it is now brainer. I should know, I owned both. It is just my opinion though.

May 14, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

i heard the sugden is a lot better than the hr-2.

From who?
Quote:

Simple is best in audio. The results speak for themselves. So far, we know of one Member who has heard both amps (better yet *owned* both amps) in his own system and likes the Emmeline better. Hardly conclusive data I'll grant you that, but probably the only actual data point you'll get as the Emmeline is brand new. The rest is speculation.

Mark

May 14, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Simple is best in audio. The results speak for themselves. So far, we know of one Member who has heard both amps (better yet *owned* both amps) in his own system and likes the Emmeline better. Hardly conclusive data I'll grant you that, but probably the only actual data point you'll get as the Emmeline is brand new. The rest is speculation.

Well, if you "simple is best" is your argument, then the Gilmore wins hands down. I'm sure the Gilmore discrete design is far less complex than the internal circuitry of the average opamp. Who has compared the Gilmore v2 to Emmeline? It would be an interesting comparison.

-dd3mon

May 14, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRINCH....
How sad it is to read a statment like the one you've mentioned above with out real solid prove to support your claim. Specially knowing that you have not auditioned the Emmeline HR-2 headphone amp, or done some A/B comparison between the two. I am not indicating that the Emmeline is better than Sudgen or vice virsa, but I think you should back up your words with solid prove before you proclaim or state your openion.
The Emmeline is not taken from PDF of op-amps as you claim.
Next time use your words wisely before accusing any MFGers. Emmeline was developed through a lot of research,
& listening of thousands of hours as a pre-amp. during that
time it was changed so many times to come with the unit that
needs no up grade, no modification of any kind. Each part was
put in the right place to do the right thing. Thats why you see no wires in Emmeline HR-2. It was all thought for.
Ray Samuels

May 14, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 31
Hopefully a Gilmore will show up at one of the meetings so people can compare.

May 14, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

The HR-2 has really made my R 10s wake up. Most of my cds sound a lot better. More bite, more treble energy...

You needed more treble energy than that from a Sugden? This just bears out the fact loudly and clearly that many of us have sonic preferences 180 degrees from each other.

May 14, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 31
markl,

I hope I send some Gilmores out to meets as well, but at the moment I can hardly spare one for myself. Once I start getting an inventory of these amps, I'll send them out to anyone who would like an audition.

You also might want to check out the datasheets for AD797 to see a *simplified* schematic of that opamp. If there was demand for several million Gilmores, I'm sure the design could be manufactured in chip form...pretty sure it would require a heatsink though.

May 14, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Ray Samuels
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRINCH....
How sad it is to read a statment like the one you've mentioned above with out real solid prove to support your claim. Specially knowing that you have not auditioned the Emmeline HR-2 headphone amp, or done some A/B comparison between the two. I am not indicating that the Emmeline is better than Sudgen or vice virsa, but I think you should back up your words with solid prove before you proclaim or state your openion.
The Emmeline is not taken from PDF of op-amps as you claim.
Next time use your words wisely before accusing any MFGers. Emmeline was developed through a lot of research,
& listening of thousands of hours as a pre-amp. during that
time it was changed so many times to come with the unit that
needs no up grade, no modification of any kind. Each part was
put in the right place to do the right thing. Thats why you see no wires in Emmeline HR-2. It was all thought for.
Ray Samuels

Ray,

You know that many of us at the Chicago meet heard both amps and gave our thoughts.While the opinion of which amp is "better" is just that, at least those opinions are actually formed from experience, not third hand information or assumption.Don't waste your time defending your amp from such babble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back