Sugden Headmaster owners: headphone recommendations?
Jan 26, 2006 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MarkyMark

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I mainly use the Beyer DT880's with my Sugden CDMaster/VDH First Ultimate/Headmaster combo. I definitely like this system and prefer it to the HD650 - which I find to be too muddy/laid back/lots of bass but with a rather 'thumpy' one-note quality to my ears.

Having some money to burn, I am interested in trying yet another pair of cans! Ideally something akin to a turbo-charged DT880....with greater dynamic shifts (already good in DT880) and a bit more refinement in the treble region (but definitely not the rolled-off type I hear with my HD650). Any suggestions plse????? I have heard the AT's go well with Sugden but they don't seem to be that popular in the UK.

My budget is up to £350 (approx $600).

Cheers,
Mark

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 9
Given your stated priorities I can see you liking the AKG K701. I have owned the dt880 in the past and I definitely prefer the 701. However, I have never heard the 701 with your specific amp so take that fact into consideration.
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 9
I do not think the Sugden/701 will be a so good setup. I'd suggest any of ATH cans with it, first the L3000, last the W 5000.

Best!
Nicola

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the replies.
biggrin.gif

I am pretty keen to try the AT's. Likewise the AKG but would like to see more long-term opinion first as they aren't easy to get hold of here. They seem to be a 'holy grail' type product at the moment but so was the HD650 a while back....

Grado's are interesting but unfortunately they are overpriced on this side of the pond
plainface.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 9
I don't have any cans that it doesn't drive extremely well. With the Sugden, my current favorite match is the AT-w100's, but the RS-1's and headphile CD3k's are quite sweet as well. All depends on the tone you're looking for -- haven't tried the DT880's so can't be of much help with comparisons.

I've got some leatherheads coming tomorrow that should blow the others away though, so I'll post again this weekend.

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 9
My short list for headphones under $600 that mate well with the Sugden Headmaster would be:

K701
AD2000
SA5000

IMO, all of these provide better synergy with the Sugden than do either the DT880 or HD650.

I'd have to do a lot more listening with the Sugden to rank order them in terms of my own preferences, let alone what I think your preferences would be based on your description above. Given that you prefer the DT880's with the Sugden over the HD650s (which you find rolled off in the treble region, as do I) and that you're looking for more of the same in terms of the 'goodness' that you're hearing from the DT880s in the upper registers, the AD2000 or SA5000 are more likely to match what you're looking for in terms of quickness and a sense of impact with dynamic swings in music. This is what I like to call "sparkle", and both the AD2000 and SA5000 excel in these areas. But at the same time, I think the K701's would be my overall favorite with the Sugden because of everything else they do so well. Although the K701's might (arguably) give up just a tiny little bit to the AD2000 and SA5000 in terms of speed and treble extension, I think they produce a fuller, more robust sonic picture and a sense of balance from top to bottom.

Another way of putting it, the K701's are quite similar to the DT880's in terms of tonal balance (IMO they're a 'better' headphone overall, and give you more of the same of what you're now hearing). The AD2000 and SA5000, on the other hand, would represent a shift away from the neutrality of DT880's toward a more upper end dominated presentation. Both are quite good in the bass region as well (in terms of the quality of bass they produce), but their sonic emphasis and what you will hear most readily when first listening to them (i.e., without turning on your analytical brain) is in the upper mids and treble regions.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. My personal favorites at the moment are the AD2000, but that seems to change from day to day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back